    56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
    needed?

    TIA

    Edge, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Edge

    Chet Guest

    It is my understanding that no new hardware is needed.

    They use a combination of data compression and caching to reduce the amount
    of data sent "over the wire". I have heard, but cannot confirm, that they
    also reduce the resolution of graphics in web pages. I would be interested
    if anybody in this NG has actually tried it and what kind of actual data
    throughput they have seen.

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    > What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by

    Netzero?

    Chet, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in

    > What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by
    > Netzero? They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are
    > talking about 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work
    > and what hardware is needed?

    There is no high speed dialup faster than 56k. They use a "web page
    accelerator" thing that involves caching of frequently visited pages so it
    appears that the pages are coming in faster.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Edge

    Hank Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    > What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by

    Netzero?
    > They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are talking about
    > 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work and what hardware is
    > needed?
    >
    > TIA

    It's done with mirrors and smoke, save your money. I tried it a few months
    back before DSL was available in my area and found it to be nothing much
    more than a gimmick to get more of your hard earned dollar. I paid for it
    for a month (had to when I upgraded) and I think I used it the first night
    and that was it Sure the graphics load a bit faster and that's just because
    the resolution is so low. When I say low I mean its like you can count the
    pixels it's so low. As for data rate as in downloading something, it doesn't
    affect it at all. 56k is 56k Sorry.

    Hank

    Hank, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Edge

    Thor Guest

    It really isn't a service that gives you greater bandwidth. It merely
    compresses web graphics to reduce page load-in times, and they cache pages
    locally on their own servers which speeds up some load times marginally. In
    using high levels of compression, the web graphics/pictures are also reduced
    in quality. File downloads, uploads, etc. are not benefitted by this
    technology.

    Thor, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Edge

    sno Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Edge" <> wrote in
    >
    > > What technology is used for high speed dial-up I see advertised by
    > > Netzero? They claim 5x of standard dialup, which I assume they are
    > > talking about 56K. Does anyone know how well this system will work
    > > and what hardware is needed?
    > >

    > There is no high speed dialup faster than 56k. They use a "web page
    > accelerator" thing that involves caching of frequently visited pages so it
    > appears that the pages are coming in faster.

    Have tried....if you get it for free may be worth it.....
    is not worth paying for....

    Some browsers (opera for instance) allow you to turn off graphics
    easily....and will only download txt....unless you need...then
    can click and get the graphics.....speeds things up a lot....

    If you are downloading file, then there is no way you can speed
    things up that I know of.....except in some cases using a
    download program...that makes multiple connections to the file
    and downloads over more then one connection...

    hope helps.....sno

    sno, Dec 18, 2003