    Considering I can get a 4gig Microdrive for less then a 1 gig Sandisk
    Ultra II would there be a noticeable loss of WRITE speed on the above
    mentioned cameras using the MD vs the Ultra II (or equiv) ?

    Ed, Apr 30, 2004

  2. "Ed" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I understand the "high speed" CF cards only work at their best speed
    > in cameras that specifically support them.
    >
    > Does it pay to buy a Sandisk Ultra II card for a "prosumer" camera
    > (example: a Minolta Dimage A2 or a Sony 828 ..... or even a Nikon D70
    > DSLR) ?
    >
    > How do you know if a camera supports the high speed transfers? Is
    > there a list somewhere or a spec to look for.
    >
    > Considering I can get a 4gig Microdrive for less then a 1 gig Sandisk
    > Ultra II would there be a noticeable loss of WRITE speed on the above
    > mentioned cameras using the MD vs the Ultra II (or equiv) ?

    One thing you might consider is the download to the computer, i.e., via card
    reader. The high-speed CF card should copy faster to your PC, which could
    be a big deal if you have a bunch of 1 GB (or larger) cards with RAW files
    to download quickly.

    this old user, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    The download TO THE COMPUTER is NOT an issue. It is the write from
    camera buffer TO THE CARD that I am interested in. I can wait an hour
    for copying but when trying to shoot multiple photos clearing the
    buffer is most important.

    Ed, May 1, 2004
  4. Ed

    pjp Guest

    I own a S602 and have used both SM and CF cards in it. The cf cards was a
    "normal" Sandisk and was VERY noticeably slower in the time between shots
    compared to when using the SM card. Also, the cf card would/could not keep
    up when using "video capture" mode, aborting capture when card couldn't be
    written to fast enough, where-as the SM card keeps up till it's full. I've
    read that this camera also has no problems doing video-capture when using a
    Microdrive, e.g. it can keep up. Apparently (only from what I've read),
    there's "faster" cf cards that can keep up and as well there's some "tricks"
    regarding how cf cards are formatted (cluster size) can help. From this, I
    going on the assumption that I either want a FAST cf card or a microdrive
    rather than just a "normal" cd card.

    pjp, May 1, 2004
  5. Ed

    JM Lobert Guest

    Correction to the previous poster: The download speed is more likely
    limited by your (presumably) USB connection, not the CF card. Either
    way, you don't care.

    The Nikon D70 seems to be supporting the high speed cards, see tests
    on dpreview.com and other sites, which show significant write
    differences between cards. I ordered myself an Ultra II card with my
    D70 (and I'm still waiting for the D70 backlog to clear)...

    <> wrote:

    >"Ed" <> wrote in message
    >> I understand the "high speed" CF cards only work at their best speed
    >> in cameras that specifically support them.
    >>
    >> Does it pay to buy a Sandisk Ultra II card for a "prosumer" camera
    >> (example: a Minolta Dimage A2 or a Sony 828 ..... or even a Nikon D70
    >> DSLR) ?
    >>
    >> How do you know if a camera supports the high speed transfers? Is
    >> there a list somewhere or a spec to look for.
    >>
    >> Considering I can get a 4gig Microdrive for less then a 1 gig Sandisk
    >> Ultra II would there be a noticeable loss of WRITE speed on the above
    >> mentioned cameras using the MD vs the Ultra II (or equiv) ?
    >>

    >One thing you might consider is the download to the computer, i.e., via card
    >reader. The high-speed CF card should copy faster to your PC, which could
    >be a big deal if you have a bunch of 1 GB (or larger) cards with RAW files
    >to download quickly.

    JP

    (remove second underscore to email)

    JM Lobert, May 1, 2004
  6. On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:59:56 GMT, Ed <>
    wrote:

    >I understand the "high speed" CF cards only work at their best speed
    >in cameras that specifically support them.
    >
    >Does it pay to buy a Sandisk Ultra II card for a "prosumer" camera
    >(example: a Minolta Dimage A2 or a Sony 828 ..... or even a Nikon D70
    >DSLR) ?

    I'm not sure why you say "even a D-70" as it's one of the fastest
    currently on the market.

    >How do you know if a camera supports the high speed transfers? Is
    >there a list somewhere or a spec to look for.

    You need to be a bit more specific, but I use a 40X 1 Gig CF card and
    the D-70 will empty the buffer of NEFs in about 3 seconds. That is
    fast.

    >Considering I can get a 4gig Microdrive for less then a 1 gig Sandisk
    >Ultra II would there be a noticeable loss of WRITE speed on the above
    >mentioned cameras using the MD vs the Ultra II (or equiv) ?

    I just paid about $200 for a 1 Gig CF. What does the Microdrive run?
    I also prefer storage that doesn't take power like the microdrives do.
    Also the CF should be much more shock resistant. Gotta be as many
    times as I've dropped them. I have to admit I've never been a fan of
    MDs.

    Write time to your PC in either case is going to be limited by the
    card reader, or method of transfer rather than the 40X CF, or MD.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, May 1, 2004
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their responses, but no one has yet to answer
    the question:

    If I put a "super-fast" CF card LIKE a Sandisk II or Lexar 40x into
    the SAME CAMERA (at different times :) ) as a 4 gigabyte Hitachi
    Micro-drive will the WTITE TO CARD FROM BUFFER speed be noticeably
    FASTER on the "super-fast" CF card. For THIS QUESTION we will ASSume
    the camera DOES NOT support high speed cards. We will ALSO ASSume it's
    a "top of the line" P&S camera LIKE a Minolta A2 or a Sony 828. Let's
    also ASSume both cards cost the same (which they do - actually the CF
    is more).

    All I care about is WRITE FROM BUFFER TO CARD after shooting.

    I would think the CF CARD would be much faster, but from what I have
    been reading is that unless the camera directly supports these compact
    flash cards they really are no faster then the MicroDrive.

    None of the P&S camera are included in Galbraith database. The cards
    show a marked difference in write speed but the camera seems to make a
    bigger difference.

    Ed, May 1, 2004