    Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
    doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
    advance.

    Tom Thompson, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Tom Thompson

    Dreamer Guest

    "Tom Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
    > doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
    > advance.

    You're not doing anything wrong, and it is a problem with most consumer or
    "prosumer" digital cameras. You are correct in what you are waiting for is
    for the camera to write the image from its RAM buffer to your flash card.

    You could try getting a different flash card and see if that helps, but
    don't buy one of the super-duper fast ones, because your camera can't take
    advantage of their super-duper fast writing capability without the proper
    software, which your camera probably doesn't have.

    I know your camera has a TIFF mode, but I don't know if "SuperFine" is
    always TIFF or if it's just the resolution setting. You might try setting to
    the lowest-compression JPEG setting instead of TIFF, if you're shooting in
    TIFF. That should help dramatically. If you need TIFF, then you're probably
    just out of luck. You could also try turning off any effects which involve
    post-capture processing, if you've got any on.

    Dreamer, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Tom Thompson

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am just getting into digital photography, having been an old
    > fashioned photographer for many years. I have a Minolta Dimage F100.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that when I have set the camera at high
    > image size (2272 x 1704)and resolution (super fine), it takes an
    > inordinately long time to save after each shot. So much so it defeats
    > my purposes. I can't wait for the 15-20 seconds it takes to save (or
    > retrieve).
    >
    > Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
    > doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
    > advance.

    It sounds like you are using the TIFF mode, which would explain the long
    save times. Are your images that come out of the camera about 11 megs?
    If so, then you are using TIFF and there is no reason to. I would almost
    guarantee that you can't see the difference between TIFF and highest
    resolution JPG. If you use JPG, your image save times should go down to
    about 3 seconds and the file sizes around 1-1.5 megs each.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Tom Thompson

    Flux Guest

    (Tom Thompson) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am just getting into digital photography, having been an old
    > fashioned photographer for many years. I have a Minolta Dimage F100.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that when I have set the camera at high
    > image size (2272 x 1704)and resolution (super fine), it takes an
    > inordinately long time to save after each shot. So much so it defeats
    > my purposes. I can't wait for the 15-20 seconds it takes to save (or
    > retrieve).
    >
    > Is this a problem with all high resolution digital cameras or am I
    > doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
    > advance.

    I believe that the 'Super fine' setting on the F100 means it will save
    in TIFF (uncompressed) format, instead of JPEG.
    If you don't intend to make heavy modifications to the image a 'fine'
    JPEG should be quite enough, as it's nearly equal to the TIFF image,
    at only a fraction of the size.

    Consumer digital cameras aren't usually optimized for TIFF processing,
    they're much faster at processing and storing JPEG.

    Flux

    Flux, Aug 7, 2003