    Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    Thanks,
    --Elijah
    Elijah Bailey, Apr 2, 2004

  2. [On 2 Apr 2004 07:27:35 -0800, (Elijah
    Bailey) wrote:]

    > Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    A Canon Digi-Rebel 300D. If you have more money, get a 10D.
    Not quite ready for the for the Nikon D70; give that one some
    more time.

    There are other good cameras as well. Nothing wrong with
    Oly's. Some Kodaks are good also. Leica's (IMO) are to die
    for.

    How much money do you want to spend?

    Get the Canon and a 70-200 IS lens. All done.
    The Other Harry, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Elijah Bailey

    Guest

    Elijah Bailey <> wrote:
    : I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    : which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    : all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    : directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.

    : I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    : Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    : Thanks,
    : --Elijah

    Nikon DSLR cameras do that using USB and the Nikon Capture.

    Ray

    --
    E. Ray Lemar
    , Apr 2, 2004
  4. Elijah Bailey

    Mark Roberts Guest

    (Elijah Bailey) wrote:

    >I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    >which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    >all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    >directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    >
    >I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    >Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    Just about any Nikon/Canon/Pentax DSLR will do what you want.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing
    Mark Roberts, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Elijah Bailey wrote:

    > I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    > which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    > all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    > directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    >
    > I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    > Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    The Minolta A1 and A2 will do this, with full live preview on a PC,
    using Minolta Dimage Capture software which is an extra. The A2 has USB
    2. You can shoot to RAW as well, and trigger the camera from the PC.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Mark Roberts <> wrote in message news:<aTgbc.94$>...
    > (Elijah Bailey) wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    > >which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    > >all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    > >directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    > >
    > >I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    > >Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    > Just about any Nikon/Canon/Pentax DSLR will do what you want.

    I have a canon powershot s230. Is there any chance I could use that?
    I dont think it supports usb 2.0 or firewire. Is there any SDK that
    I could use to transfer images to the machine and control the focus?

    Thanks,
    --Elijah
    Elijah Bailey, Apr 3, 2004
  7. Elijah Bailey

    Bill Guest

    Fuji S20 Pro. Firewire can be configured for image transfer or PC control.
    USB can be confiugred for image transfer or webcam mode.

    Bill, Apr 3, 2004
  8. Elijah Bailey

    Quaoar Guest

    Elijah Bailey wrote:
    > Mark Roberts <> wrote in message
    >> (Elijah Bailey) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    >>> which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    >>> all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    >>> directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    >>>
    >>> I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    >>> Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    >> Just about any Nikon/Canon/Pentax DSLR will do what you want.

    > I have a canon powershot s230. Is there any chance I could use that?
    > I dont think it supports usb 2.0 or firewire. Is there any SDK that
    > I could use to transfer images to the machine and control the focus?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Elijah

    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s230/specs.html#interfaces

    USB2 has nothing to do with it. The camera supports USB 1.1.
    Repeat 1000 times: I will not ask for help until I have read the
    hardware and software manuals and looked at
    www.my_camer_amanufacterer.com/support/mycameramodel.

    Quaoar, Apr 3, 2004
  9. Elijah Bailey

    Joe Guest

    On 04/02/2004 07:45 PM, Elijah Bailey said:
    > Mark Roberts <> wrote in message news:<aTgbc.94$>...
    >
    >> (Elijah Bailey) wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    >>>which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    >>>all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    >>>directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    >>>
    >>>I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    >>>Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    >>Just about any Nikon/Canon/Pentax DSLR will do what you want.

    > I have a canon powershot s230. Is there any chance I could use that?
    > I dont think it supports usb 2.0 or firewire. Is there any SDK that
    > I could use to transfer images to the machine and control the focus?

    I have a Canon s230 too. You can't save in RAW format, that's not
    an option with the s230 - it can only do jpeg.

    But for controlling the camera from a program - the Zoombrowser
    software that comes with the s230 has a RemoteCapture program which
    does just that.

    --
    Joe
    http://www.joekaz.net/
    Joe, Apr 3, 2004
  10. Elijah Bailey

    Tom Monego Guest

    High end Kodak DCS760, PhotoDesk software is the best, firewire capture. Not
    currently produced but on Ebay for $2K. Solid camera on a Nikon F-5
    chassis. Other than tripping the shutter the software will only process your
    files Canon had a remote control system for their high end cameras but it was
    about $5K,

    Tom

    In article <>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Apr 3, 2004
  11. Does anyone know of any plans from any manufacturer to support
    firewire 800 on a digital camera? (I wud like to get as much
    bandwidth as i can between the machine and the camera to take
    fast RAW shots at the highest resolution possible.)

    Thanks,
    --Elijah

    Elijah Bailey, Apr 4, 2004
  12. "Elijah Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any plans from any manufacturer to support
    > firewire 800 on a digital camera? (I wud like to get as much
    > bandwidth as i can between the machine and the camera to take
    > fast RAW shots at the highest resolution possible.)

    No, in fact there seems to be a move away from Firewire altogether in favor
    of USB 2.0.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Elijah Bailey

    John Navas Guest

    There would be no point, since current camera electronics are a long way from
    being able to saturate even Firewire 400, much less Firewire 800. (Faster
    processors tend to consume more battery power and throw off more undesirable
    heat.)

    In <> on 4 Apr 2004 01:28:57
    -0800, (Elijah Bailey) wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any plans from any manufacturer to support
    >firewire 800 on a digital camera? (I wud like to get as much
    >bandwidth as i can between the machine and the camera to take
    >fast RAW shots at the highest resolution possible.)

    > (Elijah Bailey) wrote in message news:<>...

    >> I'm looking for a digital camera (preferably 4MP or more)
    >> which I can hook up to my firewire/USB 2.0 port and control
    >> all its parameters using a program, and then get the pictures
    >> directly inside my computer without touching the camera itself.
    >>
    >> I want the RAW data that the camera snaps.
    >> Anyone knows which camera i should buy?

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 4, 2004
  14. "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > There would be no point, since current camera electronics are a long way

    from
    > being able to saturate even Firewire 400, much less Firewire 800. (Faster
    > processors tend to consume more battery power and throw off more

    undesirable
    > heat.)

    Yes, I agree. The limitations aren't even close to being in the bandwidth of
    the serial transfer protocol, but in such things as the the camera's memory
    storage media and it's camera interface bus.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Apr 4, 2004
  15. Elijah Bailey

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Elijah Bailey <> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of any plans from any manufacturer to support
    >firewire 800 on a digital camera? (I wud like to get as much
    >bandwidth as i can between the machine and the camera to take
    >fast RAW shots at the highest resolution possible.)

    A digital camcorder feeding digital video into the computer only uses
    about 100Mbps.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Apr 4, 2004