    computers, they use about 30 of the ports.

    Shawn
    , Jan 19, 2006

  2. slim Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a client that has a Cisco Catalyst 2950 48 port switch with two
    > 1000-T interfaces. They are experiencing slow access speeds for their
    > servers, so I checked the port on the switch, it showed that the port
    > for their main server was getting extremely high error rates (79,000
    > over 24 hours when I reset it) I tested the wiring, it appears to be
    > good, I have pretty much eliminated everything except the switch, so I
    > decided to pull that out of the network, putting back in their old
    > Linksys switch with another switch to give them the ports they needed,
    > and brought the Catalyst back to my office.
    >
    > Yesterday my client called me and reported that they are noticing that
    > they screens in their applications are pulling up a little bit more
    > quickly.
    >
    > So it's up to me to find whats causing the issue, and fix it,
    > unfortunately, I can't makes heads or tails of it, which would a cheap
    > Linksys switch give them better performance, when the Cisco switch
    > seems to be well setup (I didn't do the setup, just checked it out).
    >
    > They have a single subnet, no VLANs, or anything else that I can think
    > to cause issues. This was their core switch going out to all the
    > computers, they use about 30 of the ports.
    >
    > Shawn

    Sounds like your speed and duplex settings are mismatched. Try
    hard-coding the speed and duplex on the server and switchport (100/full
    duplex). If it is indeed a port speed/duplex mismatch, note whether
    you're seeing the "late collisions" counter increment. If you *know*
    that your cabling is in good shape and in spec, then this counter should
    never increment...it could if hardware is bad, but it's still likely a
    port mismatch.

    Good Luck!
    slim, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Kevin Widner Guest

    First thing that comes to mind for some reason is the speed/duplex
    settings of your Catalyst switch. Are they hard coded to some speed and
    duplex on the Cisco? Chances are that the Linksys is set for
    auto-negotiate and that means the hosts probably are too. If your Cisco
    is hard-coded to 100 full lets say, then your hosts will end up
    negotiating something funky like 10-half or something.

    Also, what kind of errors were they? That will go a long way to help
    determine the problem. Not all errors are the same.
    Kevin Widner, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    It was just generic packet errors reported by the switch web console. I
    am going to try reinstalling it with the speed hard coded for that
    particular server.
    , Jan 19, 2006
  5. Guest

    I had two 2950 switches at a remote office location and I think they
    stink. They are connected back to my home office over a fiber-optic
    link and a pair of Canary 100BaseFX media converters. I did good to get
    40Mbps true thruput thru the 2950's. No duplex mismatches, just high
    error rates and overall lackluster performance. I replaced one with a
    cheap Linksys consumer-grade layer2 switch and another with an old 3Com
    10/100 hub and got back up to 60+ Mbps sustainable thruput from a host
    at one end to a host at the far other end. I'll never buy a 2950 ever
    again.
    , Jan 19, 2006