    but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.
    How does Panny do this?
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, May 10, 2008

  2. Bob Williams

    Alex Monro Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
    > feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
    > However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
    > 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
    > resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
    > 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
    > 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
    > If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
    > action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.

    No, it's just digital zoom, without interpolating back up to the full
    image size. You would get exactly the same effect by cropping in an
    image editor program.

    The only difference between this and other digital zoom functions is
    that Panasonic is a bit more honest in making it clear that you lose
    resolution.
    --
    Alex Monro
    Exeter, UK
    Alex Monro, May 10, 2008

  3. Bob Williams

    Guest

    On May 10, 1:22 pm, Alex Monro <>
    wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    > > The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
    > > feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
    > > However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
    > > 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
    > > resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
    > > 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
    > > 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
    > > If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
    > > action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.

    > No, it's just digital zoom, without interpolating back up to the full
    > image size.  You would get exactly the same effect by cropping in an
    > image editor program.
    >
    > The only difference between this and other digital zoom functions is
    > that Panasonic is a bit more honest in making it clear that you lose
    > resolution.

    Making the subject appear larger by pre-cropping in the camera
    could be useful for people who either don't want or don't know
    how to process a picture with a computer.

    I know several people who enjoy snapping pictures, but have never
    held a mouse in their hands. They either let their kids download
    their shots to a computer or take the camera directly to a print
    shop to order 4x6 prints. There must be millions of such people
    around the world and, in their own way, many of them are no less
    serious about taking pictures than the people in this NG. Catering
    to them is simply good business strategy and IMHO, more relevant
    than cramming more and more pixels into a small sensor.
    , May 10, 2008
  4. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    lid wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> The 10 MP Panasonic FZ-50, and perhaps others, have a very interesting
    >> feature. The normal Zoom Range of the FZ-50 is 12X, (35-420 mm).
    >> However, the Extended Optical Zoom function uses the center of the
    >> 10-megapixel CCD, and extends the zoom ratio beyond 12x when the
    >> resolution is decreased. For example, the 12x optical zoom extends to
    >> 21.4x for 3-megapixel image recording , or 17.1x for 5-megapixel and
    >> 13.4x for 8-megapixel recording.
    >> If I understand it correctly, this is not simply a Digital Zoom
    >> action, but an honest-to-goodness OPTICAL zoom operation.
    >> How does Panny do this?

    > The magic of the advertising lie.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    That was my first assumption too, but why does Panny call it "Extended
    OPTICAL Zoom"?
    Why not just call it Digital Zoom like everyone else?
    "CREATIVE" Advertising I guess :-(.
    Bob
    Bob Williams, May 10, 2008