    for these conditions?

    TIA,
    jbr

    BigBen, Mar 10, 2006

  2. BigBen

    alexd Guest

    BigBen wrote:

    > I'm using broadband over a CDMA50 wireless conection, and have high
    > latency figures - around 300 ms at best, 500 at worst.
    >
    > Which kind of VoIP service, or which codec(s), would be more suitable
    > for these conditions?

    The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're going
    to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
    latency!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:08:39 up 3 days, 22:54, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00

    alexd, Mar 16, 2006

  3. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:11:11 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're going
    >to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
    >latency!

    OK, how about with 300 ms latency? That's the best I can get, on a
    good day, and I'm hoping for better wireless connection one of
    these... weeks, maybe.

    TIA
    jbr

    BigBen, Mar 16, 2006
  4. BigBen

    stephen Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message news:...
    > BigBen wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using broadband over a CDMA50 wireless conection, and have high
    > > latency figures - around 300 ms at best, 500 at worst.

    left this for a while to see if you got some +ve answers, as i all have
    comments rather than relevant experience.

    i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
    common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.

    if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get something
    to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it seems
    to pick the delay at random for each packet.

    > > Which kind of VoIP service, or which codec(s), would be more suitable
    > > for these conditions?

    > The shorter the sample time, the better. However, I don't think you're

    going
    > to have much luck with VoIP - even analogue would sound rubbish with 500ms
    > latency!
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 08:08:39 up 3 days, 22:54, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.00
    > This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Mar 16, 2006
  5. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:53:14 GMT, "stephen"
    <> wrote:

    >i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
    >common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.
    >
    >if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get something
    >to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it seems
    >to pick the delay at random for each packet.

    Same thing here. The 500 ms latency I mentioned, is average latency -
    sometimes smaller, others larger still!

    Today I changed config, and I'm getting 400 ms (average) latency.

    Curious about your 3G connection - is that really working on 3G, r
    just GPRS, due to network coverage limitations?

    Around here Vodafone has just relased an HSDPA card, with the promise
    of 1.8 Mbps, but I'd like to know the jiter/latency issues with this,
    before separating from my money for one those.

    For what it's worth, I seem to get better results using Skype, other
    than anything else I've tried so far, except for calls to the country
    Iive in, in which case any VoIP provider service just does not work
    (with my system).

    regards,
    jbr

    BigBen, Mar 17, 2006
  6. BigBen

    stephen Guest

    "BigBen" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:53:14 GMT, "stephen"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >i think the killer here is the implied jitter - i dont know if any of the
    > >common phones / codecs that cope with 200 mSec.
    > >
    > >if the delay over short term is more stable then maybe you can get

    something
    > >to work, but my 3G card (in a laptop) gives similar latencies, and it

    seems
    > >to pick the delay at random for each packet.

    > Same thing here. The 500 ms latency I mentioned, is average latency -
    > sometimes smaller, others larger still!
    >
    > Today I changed config, and I'm getting 400 ms (average) latency.
    >
    > Curious about your 3G connection - is that really working on 3G, r
    > just GPRS, due to network coverage limitations?

    GPRS can be well over 1 sec latency (or was, last time i had to use it
    around a year back)

    in the UK there is reasonable 3G coverage in built up places - this is a
    combined 3G / GPRS (NEC?) card badged by Vodafone

    i have a "forced 3G" profile on it at present, since in some buildings it
    keeps flicking between 3G and GPRS - which is worse than GPRS when you run a
    VPN client since it can take 20 sec to swap over.....

    > Around here Vodafone has just relased an HSDPA card, with the promise
    > of 1.8 Mbps, but I'd like to know the jiter/latency issues with this,
    > before separating from my money for one those.

    3G card comes up claiming 384Kbps - it regularly bursts at 100 Kbps+ - but
    the latency means it isnt much fun to use with interactive apps (corporate
    outlook is the worst i use frequently)

    the old joke about "it isnt good, but its better than nothing?"

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Mar 17, 2006
  7. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:44:23 GMT, "stephen"
    <> wrote:

    >GPRS can be well over 1 sec latency (or was, last time i had to use it
    >around a year back)

    What a joke ...

    Anyway, HSDPA, promises latencies around 100ms - you can try googleing
    "HSDPA latency", and see the claims.

    Hoping it comes true.

    Until then, I can't figure why, but while I can get VoIP acceptable
    connections for other countries, it's just about out of question for
    the country I live in :-() Go figure.

    I don't like the price of both the HSDPA card, nor the services fees
    I've seen so far - from 2 diferent mobile networks - but I'm hoping
    these to come down as the 3rd one, with the least masket share, debuts
    its commercial offer.

    Good luck on your wireless surfing!

    jbr

    BigBen, Mar 18, 2006