High ISO Grain actually Looks Good!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Garvin Yee, Mar 3, 2013.

  1. Garvin Yee

    Garvin Yee Guest

    Garvin Yee, Mar 3, 2013

  2. Garvin Yee

    MC Guest

    Garvin Yee wrote:

    > I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    > setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    > don't like the effect of the flash.
    >
    > But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    > at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    > more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

    There is"grain" and there is noisy. Film grain can (not always) add to
    the atmosphere of a photograph. However, sensor noise does, most of
    the time, just look...well...noisy.
    Having said that, the Canon 40D is not that noisy at high ISOs. Better
    than most of that generation of camera.

    MC
    MC, Mar 3, 2013

  3. Garvin Yee

    Garvin Yee Guest

    On 3/3/2013 7:00 AM, MC wrote:
    > Garvin Yee wrote:
    >

    >> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    >> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    >> don't like the effect of the flash.
    >>
    >> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    >> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    >> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

    > There is"grain" and there is noisy. Film grain can (not always) add to
    > the atmosphere of a photograph. However, sensor noise does, most of
    > the time, just look...well...noisy.
    > Having said that, the Canon 40D is not that noisy at high ISOs. Better
    > than most of that generation of camera.

    Well, I can see the higher ISO noise better when
    I adjust the brightness and contrast in photoshop, but
    as I said, the noise looks fine to me, and actually
    good in some cases.

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html
    Garvin Yee, Mar 3, 2013
  4. In article <kgvcjs$2o7$>,
    Garvin Yee <> wrote:

    > I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    > setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    > don't like the effect of the flash.
    >
    > But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    > at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    > more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

    That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
    so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
    Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
    highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
    white balance needs correction.

    I recently bought a Canon 480ex II to solve the dark room problem and I
    love it. It's an incredibly small, capable, and inexpensive remote
    flash. A folding 6"x8" softbox makes the light perfect.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 3, 2013
  5. Garvin Yee

    Garvin Yee Guest

    On 3/3/2013 11:28 AM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <kgvcjs$2o7$>,
    > Garvin Yee <> wrote:
    >
    >> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    >> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    >> don't like the effect of the flash.
    >>
    >> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    >> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    >> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

    > That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
    > so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
    > Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
    > highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
    > white balance needs correction.

    Well, I must have a great camera then, because 1000 ISO
    is no problem at all. In fact, the highest setting "H", one
    step above 1600, still looks good to me.

    The Canon 40D rocks!

    Garvin Yee, Mar 3, 2013
  6. Garvin Yee

    Garvin Yee Guest

    On 3/3/2013 3:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 3/3/13 3:38 PM, in article kh0fpn$4lq$, "Garvin Yee"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/3/2013 11:28 AM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    >>> That depends on the camera. The sensor linearity goes bad at high ISO
    >>> so you're lucky to have a camera where the RGB channels stay aligned.
    >>> Many cameras will have color casts that vary between shadows and
    >>> highlights. My T3i starts looking bad above ISO 1000, especially if the
    >>> white balance needs correction.
    >>>

    >> Well, I must have a great camera then, because 1000 ISO
    >> is no problem at all. In fact, the highest setting "H", one
    >> step above 1600, still looks good to me.
    >>
    >> The Canon 40D rocks!
    >>

    > BTW, your link to your picture in your sig line is broken.
    >
    > All I get is this: "This is not the page you're looking for.
    >
    > It looks like you're trying to see something in Garvin Yee's photostream.
    >
    > Here are their most recent uploads..."
    >
    > AND, I might add, you have some *very* interesting work there. I like it!

    Hmmm, are you sure? I just tried both links, and they both worked
    for me. Opening into Outlook.

    I'm glad you like my work! :)

    Garvin Yee, Mar 4, 2013
  7. Garvin Yee

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 3, 6:37 am, Garvin Yee <> wrote:
    >    I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    > setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    > don't like the effect of the flash.
    >
    >    But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    > at all, and in fact I actually like it!  It gives
    > more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
    >
    > --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html

    Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
    more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
    look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.
    RichA, Mar 4, 2013
  8. Garvin Yee

    Garvin Yee Guest

    On 3/4/2013 12:09 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-03-03 21:42:59 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> On Mar 3, 6:37 am, Garvin Yee <> wrote:
    >>> I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    >>> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    >>> don't like the effect of the flash.
    >>>
    >>> But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    >>> at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    >>> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
    >>>
    >>> --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/h
    >>>

    >> ttp://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html
    >>
    >> Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
    >> more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
    >> look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.

    > Well, if you shoot clean with low noise, with a D300 at ISO 400, and
    > then simulate film grain with, let's say NIK Silver Efex Pro, you might
    > get this sort of result.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_3812-SEw.jpg >

    That looks really nice. It's different than the noise
    I get with my 40D, but whatever that noise is, it looks
    good to me, and I don't hesitate to use the highest ISO
    setting anymore....

    Garvin Yee, Mar 4, 2013
  9. In article <2013030323090527544-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > On 2013-03-03 21:42:59 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > On Mar 3, 6:37 am, Garvin Yee <> wrote:
    > >>    I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    > >> setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    > >> don't like the effect of the flash.
    > >>
    > >>    But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    > >> at all, and in fact I actually like it!  It gives
    > >> more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!
    > >>
    > >> --http://www.flickr.com/photos/34735015@N03/sets/72157623566520134/show/h

    > > ttp://fineartamerica.com/profiles/garvin-yee.html
    > >
    > > Film grain is sometimes attractive, often sand-like. Digital noise is
    > > more like irregular pablum. If you like digital with a film- grain
    > > look, seek out a used Fuji S5 and shoot at 800 ISO or so.

    > Well, if you shoot clean with low noise, with a D300 at ISO 400, and
    > then simulate film grain with, let's say NIK Silver Efex Pro, you might
    > get this sort of result.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_3812-SEw.jpg >

    I forget the details, but there were some image compression and audio
    compression tests a in the mid 1990s testing the limits loss acceptance.
    It was found that people perceived upsampled images and audio as sharper
    and clearer if they were distorted to contain high frequency noise.
    Simple random high frequency noise tested very well. If the noise was
    modulated based on perceptual rules, many people could not tell that the
    media was actually severely degraded.

    Modern ultra-low bitrate audio codecs, like AAC variants, do calculate
    where to add high frequency noise upon decompression.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 5, 2013
  10. Garvin Yee

    philo  Guest

    On 03/03/2013 05:37 AM, Garvin Yee wrote:

    > I often shoot at 1600, or the highest ISO
    > setting "H", on my Canon 40D, because I usually
    > don't like the effect of the flash.
    >
    > But surprisingly, the added grain is not bad
    > at all, and in fact I actually like it! It gives
    > more of a traditional, analog feel to the pics!

    Yep...

    when I did my Kochanski series I used my Canon 50D set to 12,800 ISO.

    The light level in the establishment was extremely low.

    I converted the images to gray-scale and the only thing I did as far as
    editing was to work with the brightness and contrast a bit.

    One of my friends who is a bit of a photography expert thought they were
    shot with my 35mm camera and it was "pushed" Tri-X.

    I took that as an extreme compliment as when I still used a darkroom
    "pushed" Tri-X was the look I always liked.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo , Mar 9, 2013