    ======================
    Nathan Phillips
    http://www.dusty-books.com/

    Poisonmail, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Poisonmail

    Werz Mungle Guest

    "Poisonmail" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just bought this disc and put it in only to be confronted with an FBI

    logo,
    > Buena Vista trailers, and menus ALL corrupted at first with about 2/3 of

    the
    > screen just black, then with everything scrambled like a really awful

    digital
    > cable signal. I managed to get the movie playing and it looked okay until

    the
    > layer change, when it too went nuts.
    >
    > Searching Google Groups I noticed that someone had mentioned having a

    problem
    > with this one before. I sent a return notice to Amazon, but I did have

    some
    > trepidation since I have a bit of a cheap player (an Apex). However, I've

    never
    > had any trouble before. Anyone seen this? Or is it more common than I

    think to
    > have defective DVDs?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have that disk and it plays fine. Is the surface clean?

    Great movie, btw. One of my top 5 most easily re-watchable movies.

    Werz Mungle, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Poisonmail

    drsd2kill Guest

    APEX players have troubles with lots of discs - HIGH FIDELITY is just one of
    them - another I can remember is THE ABYSS and GIRL INTERRUPTED. I'd try it on
    another player before sending it back. I used to work at Amazon.com and we got
    TONS of returns on discs that weren't defective - people just bought cheap DVD
    players that wouldn't play them.

    drsd2kill, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Poisonmail

    Kom Guest

    > Just bought this disc and put it in only to be confronted with an FBI logo,
    > Buena Vista trailers, and menus ALL corrupted at first with about 2/3 of the
    > screen just black, then with everything scrambled like a really awful digital
    > cable signal. I managed to get the movie playing and it looked okay until the
    > layer change, when it too went nuts.
    >
    > Searching Google Groups I noticed that someone had mentioned having a problem
    > with this one before. I sent a return notice to Amazon, but I did have some
    > trepidation since I have a bit of a cheap player (an Apex). However, I've never
    > had any trouble before. Anyone seen this? Or is it more common than I think to
    > have defective DVDs?

    Put the DVD in your computer and see if you have the same problems. If so, then
    it is the DVD, if not, it is your DVD player with the problem. If you don't
    have a DVD drive in your computer, then go to a friend's house or to a store and
    try to play your DVD there to find out where the problem is.

    Most people have DVD players in their computers and don't remember this when they
    are trying to find out if they have a problem with a DVD or their DVD player.
    Trying the DVD in the computer quickly shows exactly where the problem is.

    Kom, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Poisonmail

    Kom Guest

    > I have that disk and it plays fine.

    So what? Perhaps his disk is defective in some way. There is no way you
    can tell where the problem lies, only HE can do that by trying the DVD in
    another DVD player. Then and only then will anyone know if the problem is the
    DVD or his player.

    Kom, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Poisonmail

    Kom Guest

    > APEX players have troubles with lots of discs - HIGH FIDELITY is just one of
    > them - another I can remember is THE ABYSS and GIRL INTERRUPTED. I'd try it on
    > another player before sending it back. I used to work at Amazon.com and we got
    > TONS of returns on discs that weren't defective - people just bought cheap DVD
    > players that wouldn't play them.

    True. My expensive older model Denon that cost over $400 has problem with lots
    of DVDs. When I play them in my cheap $50 DVD players that have been sold in the
    past year, the DVDs play fine.

    I even got a cheap compact stereo that has digital AM FM tuner, stereo speakers,
    Karokee mic inputs, CD player and DVD from Walmart for $88 and it plays all the
    DVDs that the expensive multi-hundred dollars DVD players from a few years ago can
    not play.

    Sad that a $50 DVD player from Walmart today, can out perform a Denon or other
    high quality brand DVD player from a few years ago, but it is true.

    Kom, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Poisonmail

    Werz Mungle Guest

    "Kom" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I have that disk and it plays fine.

    > So what? Perhaps his disk is defective in some way. There is no way

    you
    > can tell where the problem lies, only HE can do that by trying the DVD in
    > another DVD player. Then and only then will anyone know if the problem

    is the
    > DVD or his player.

    No shit, Sherlock, but by telling him my disk is fine I let him know it is
    not a product wide problem, which is why I folowed up by asking him if the
    surface of his disk is clean.

    Werz Mungle, Dec 25, 2003
  8. Poisonmail

    Poisonmail Guest

    >which is why I folowed up by asking him if the
    >surface of his disk is clean.

    I checked that and I tried it a family member's Sony player, which wouldn't
    even play the parts mine did. I am quite sure the Apex is bound to have trouble
    with some titles, but in this particular case the problems seem to sit with the
    disc.

    Anyway, thank you all for your help. The issue's *probably* resolved now.

    n.
    ======================
    Nathan Phillips
    http://www.dusty-books.com/

    Poisonmail, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Poisonmail

    Joe Guest

    > > > I have that disk and it plays fine.
    > >
    > > So what? Perhaps his disk is defective in some way. There is no way

    > you
    > > can tell where the problem lies, only HE can do that by trying the DVD in
    > > another DVD player. Then and only then will anyone know if the problem

    > is the
    > > DVD or his player.

    > But by telling him my disk is fine I let him know it is
    > not a product wide problem,

    And how does that tell us that? Perhaps yours came from a different batch.
    It is possible for a defective disc to come out in any run too, and your
    comments did absolutely nothing to help him at all.

    > which is why I folowed up by asking him if the
    > surface of his disk is clean.

    Why would it not be? Normal people don't touch the surface, how would it get
    dirty?

    Joe, Dec 27, 2003
  10. Poisonmail

    Joe Guest

    > >which is why I folowed up by asking him if the
    > >surface of his disk is clean.

    > I checked that and I tried it a family member's Sony player, which wouldn't
    > even play the parts mine did.

    Disc is bad.

    Joe, Dec 27, 2003