High end super zooms

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SJ, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. SJ

    SJ Guest

    I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization and
    have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think I
    should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the

    Sony H5
    Canon S3 IS
    Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30

    Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input appreciated.
    Scott
    SJ, Jul 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "SJ" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    ...

    >
    > Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    > don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
    > appreciated.
    > Scott
    >


    What are you really looking for in that zoom range.

    A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms. In addition on one
    camera the 100-2000 might give you an image that looks 40 times closer than
    with your eyes or it may be 80 depending on the size of the sensor.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 21, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SJ

    m Ransley Guest

    I have the H5, the H2 is also very good. The H5 Is a bit better then the
    S3Is for sharpness, LCD, iso, long exposure, smart zoom, and noise, Sony
    makes Canons sensor. The S3is has better movie mode and 4 batteries sony
    has 2 and you need to carry extras. The Panasonics are good but noisier.
    The fz30 is not much-at all, better than the fz20 because of noise
    acording to dpreview . Fuji has no I.S. so it cant compete, Kodak is
    good but perhaps the lower of the group but they have a new 7mp comming
    out. Does canon have what is similar to Sony Smart Zoom? It gives you
    14x optical quality at 5 mp, full lcd view, Panasonic has this option.
    For just the joy of viewing photos Sonys 3" Lcd can`t be beat, but the
    Canon s3is rates tops in many reviews overall, but I don`t care about
    their superior movie mode and carry extra batteries.
    m Ransley, Jul 21, 2006
    #3
  4. SJ

    BRH Guest

    SJ wrote:
    > I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
    > and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think
    > I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
    >
    > Sony H5
    > Canon S3 IS
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
    >
    > Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    > don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input appreciated.
    > Scott


    FWIW -- I just ordered the Panasonic FZ7 from Amazon (still awaiting
    delivery). I looked at the H5 and the Fuji (can't recall the model).
    The H5 was a bit small in my hands and I didn't like the
    location/operation of the zoom controls, but I loved its large LCD. I
    decided against the Fujis since they do not have Image Stabilization
    (important with high-end zooms).

    If you have a Circuit City store near you, I would recommend checking
    out the various models there. (Don't necessarily buy there though, if
    you're looking for the best price). They have numerous models that you
    can try out. But go with your own expereince and feelings because their
    sales staff is clueless.
    BRH, Jul 21, 2006
    #4
  5. SJ

    C Guest

    In article <U1cwg.39994$>,
    Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
    >
    > A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.


    Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would rather
    have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide angle, which
    isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.
    C, Jul 21, 2006
    #5
  6. SJ

    C Guest

    In article <>, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    >FWIW -- I just ordered the Panasonic FZ7 from Amazon (still awaiting
    >delivery). I looked at the H5 and the Fuji (can't recall the model).
    >The H5 was a bit small in my hands and I didn't like the
    >location/operation of the zoom controls, but I loved its large LCD.


    I prefer the fold-out LCDs on the Canons and higher-end Panasonics. They are
    really handy when you're shooting from high or low angles.
    C, Jul 21, 2006
    #6
  7. SJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    SJ wrote:

    > I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
    > and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think I
    > should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
    >
    > Sony H5
    > Canon S3 IS
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
    >
    > Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    > don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
    > appreciated. Scott


    You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Jul 21, 2006
    #7
  8. C wrote:
    > In article <U1cwg.39994$>,
    > Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    >> What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
    >>
    >> A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.

    >
    > Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would
    > rather have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide
    > angle, which isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.


    I don't know what is available in compact digitals. I have not been
    following them. I tend to DSLR's. For my digital SLR I have a very wide to
    moderate wide zoom which I love. (10-22 with a 1.6 crop camera equivalent to
    a 16 - 35mm.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 21, 2006
    #8
  9. SJ

    m Ransley Guest

    The typical range is 36-432, on 12x zooms, in looking at a few that
    have nearly exact figures I wonder if each company makes their own. It
    is known sony makes alot of Canon ccds, it is probably the same for
    other components.
    m Ransley, Jul 21, 2006
    #9
  10. On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:02:45 +0000 (UTC), C <> wrote:
    > In article <U1cwg.39994$>,
    > Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    >> What are you really looking for in that zoom range.
    >>
    >> A 20-200mm zoom and a 100-2000mm are both 10x zooms.

    >
    > Does there exist a compact camera with a 20-200 zoom lens? I would rather
    > have something like that than the typical 35mm equivalent wide angle, which
    > isn't wide enough for many interesting shots.


    Not really. The best you could do would be take a superzoom with a
    threaded lens (or with an adapter that provides a thread) and attach a
    0.7x or thereabouts wide converter.

    Samsung has a 15x (!!!) camera that goes down to 28ish mm, but it got
    lousy reviews compared to competitors like the FZ30 or the S9000.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jul 21, 2006
    #10
  11. SJ

    C Guest

    In article <>,
    m Ransley <> wrote:
    > The typical range is 36-432, on 12x zooms, in looking at a few that
    >have nearly exact figures I wonder if each company makes their own. It
    >is known sony makes alot of Canon ccds, it is probably the same for
    >other components.


    The lenses are different on the different cameras, but the size of the
    sensor limits the range of the zoom. The size of the camera limits
    the size of the sensor.
    C, Jul 22, 2006
    #11
  12. SJ

    SJ Guest

    I'm not really sure I need a 10mp camera and wonder if it (the FZ50) would
    be worth the price difference.

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    SJ wrote:

    > I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
    > and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think I
    > should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
    >
    > Sony H5
    > Canon S3 IS
    > Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
    >
    > Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    > don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
    > appreciated. Scott


    You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    SJ, Jul 22, 2006
    #12
  13. SJ

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:12:21 -0400, SJ <> wrote:

    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    ><HTML><HEAD>
    ><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    ><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2745.2800" name=GENERATOR>
    ><STYLE></STYLE>
    ></HEAD>
    ><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>


    Please fix your newsreader to not post all this HTML crap in a text only
    newsgroup.

    Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
    Don Wiss, Jul 22, 2006
    #13
  14. On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:32:03 -0400, SJ <> wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> SJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
    >>> and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think
    >>> I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
    >>>
    >>> Sony H5
    >>> Canon S3 IS
    >>> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30

    >>
    >>> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    >>> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
    >>> appreciated. Scott

    >>
    >> You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.

    >
    > I'm not really sure I need a 10mp camera and wonder if it (the FZ50) would
    > be worth the price difference.


    Probably not. The difference between 8 and 10 megapixels is pretty
    minor, especially once you realize that the important number (linear
    resolution) goes like the square root of the number of pixels.

    If nothing else, the FZ30 will probably drop in price due to the
    announcement of its successor.

    For whatever it's worth, I've been very happy with my FZ5 (predecessor
    to the FZ7). I know a couple of people with FZ7s who like them.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jul 22, 2006
    #14
  15. SJ

    sally Guest

    In article <>,
    SJ <> wrote:
    >I'm not really sure I need a 10mp camera and wonder if it (the FZ50) would
    >be worth the price difference.


    Depends on the price, but if the sensor is the same as the FZ30, it should
    not cost much more.
    sally, Jul 22, 2006
    #15
  16. SJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    SJ wrote:

    > I'm not really sure I need a 10mp camera and wonder if it (the FZ50) would
    > be worth the price difference.


    There probably won't be much price difference between the FZ50 and the FZ30.
    And IMO the 30 _is_ worth the price difference over the 7 for (in no
    particular order) the flip out LCD, the superior manual controls (the 7 has
    manual controls, they just aren't all that convenient), provision for an
    external flash and a remote release, and RAW mode.
    >
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > SJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to pick up a higher end super zoom with image stabilization
    >> and have a few in mind. I wonder though, am I missing any that you think
    >> I should include when I'm making my decision. I'm looking at the
    >>
    >> Sony H5
    >> Canon S3 IS
    >> Panasonic DMC FZ7 or FZ30
    >>
    >> Any others worth looking at in the 10-12x optical zoom range? I really
    >> don't like the Sony, but the reviews are outstanding. Any input
    >> appreciated. Scott

    >
    > You might want to wait for the reviews to come in on the FZ50.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)


    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Jul 22, 2006
    #16
  17. SJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    C wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > m Ransley <> wrote:
    >> The typical range is 36-432, on 12x zooms, in looking at a few that
    >>have nearly exact figures I wonder if each company makes their own. It
    >>is known sony makes alot of Canon ccds, it is probably the same for
    >>other components.

    >
    > The lenses are different on the different cameras, but the size of the
    > sensor limits the range of the zoom.


    How so? If that were the case then one would expect to see more than 12x
    zoom ranges on DSLRs, and in fact one doesn't even see zoom ranges quite
    that large.

    > The size of the camera limits
    > the size of the sensor.


    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Jul 22, 2006
    #17
  18. C wrote:
    >...
    > The lenses are different on the different cameras, but the size of the
    > sensor limits the range of the zoom.


    Could you explain what you mean by that?

    > The size of the camera limits
    > the size of the sensor.




    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 22, 2006
    #18
  19. SJ

    m Ransley Guest

    The review of the FZ30 at dpreview put its worth over the FZ20 at nill
    because of the noise. From the preview of the fz50 with stated noise
    improvements and iso 1600 it seems they are listening to all the reviews
    that bash Panasonics noise. Interestingly they atribute this reduction
    to software. If they live up to the competitions standards of noise or
    exceed it they will have a hands down leader, and surely a leading high
    price.
    m Ransley, Jul 22, 2006
    #19
  20. SJ

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:48:57 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

    >><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    >><HTML><HEAD>
    >><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    >><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2745.2800" name=GENERATOR>
    >><STYLE></STYLE>
    >></HEAD>
    >><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

    >
    > Please fix your newsreader to not post all this HTML crap in a text only
    > newsgroup.


    Yes, he shouldn't be posting a duplicate HTML copy of his
    message's text. But you won't see any of it, other than a very
    small browser icon (and the number of HTML bytes) unless you prefer
    keeping Agent set to display messages in its "raw" mode. (For any
    other Agent users that aren't familiar with this, try typing
    <control>-R while viewing the OP's message). He's using OE, and as
    I've never used it I can't say for sure, but wouldn't be surprised
    if the inclusion of both text and HTML isn't an OE default. He'd be
    wise to take your advice, but with OE users, one never knows . . .
    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. fruitbat
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,073
    Joe Price
    Sep 17, 2003
  2. SimonLW

    Any good super tele zooms?

    SimonLW, May 17, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    380
    SimonLW
    May 18, 2005
  3. High end P&S or Low end D-SLR

    , Mar 29, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    61
    Views:
    1,351
    J. Clarke
    Apr 6, 2006
  4. Rich Belthoff

    Super Zooms, Noise Reduction

    Rich Belthoff, Jul 6, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    513
    David J Taylor
    Jul 8, 2006
  5. Paul D. Sullivan

    What P&S Super Zooms have 205,000-230,000 pixel EVF's?

    Paul D. Sullivan, May 24, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    414
Loading...

Share This Page