    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
    people to do evil things, that takes religion.

    Steven Weinberg

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Ockham's Razor

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:22:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone here any experience with exposure blending of multiple RAW
    >images to obtain a single image with "high dynamic range"?
    >
    >I would be trying to do this with RAW images from a Nikon D50 on a 1.8
    >Ghz 17 inch iMac running 10.3.9 using Photoshop Elements 4 and
    >Photomatix 3 as the HDR software (works with 32 bit images).
    >
    >The images are fantastic but I am wondering if my camera

    snip
    >can handle this.

    ??? What in the world does your camera have to do with this?

    , Jan 16, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:22:43 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone here any experience with exposure blending of multiple RAW
    > >images to obtain a single image with "high dynamic range"?
    > >
    > >I would be trying to do this with RAW images from a Nikon D50 on a 1.8
    > >Ghz 17 inch iMac running 10.3.9 using Photoshop Elements 4 and
    > >Photomatix 3 as the HDR software (works with 32 bit images).
    > >
    > >The images are fantastic but I am wondering if my camera

    > snip
    > >can handle this.

    > ??? What in the world does your camera have to do with this?

    You snipped where I also ask about my computer.

    ??? Why did you do that?

    I included the camera to find any information about it producing 32 bit
    RAW images.

    --
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Ockham's Razor

    dullpain Guest

    There is a learning curve but the technique is not hard to learn. Results
    are often less than what you might want.
    Some images are better off being processed with overlapping layers and
    selective use of masks rather than the HDR technique per se.
    Your machine is a bit underpowered for processing large 32bit files but it
    is doable. If you have the usual Mac with only 1gb RAM you should double
    that RAM. The real world of the Mac OS, and Windows too, is that inadequate
    RAM when processing large files can lead to system freezes if the OS is
    desperate for RAM and accidentally tries to store different items in the
    same space.
    The usual Mac also has a woefully small hard drive so you should also obtain
    an accessory USB/Firewire hard drive if you do not already have one. 32 bit
    hdr files are large and eat up storage space.
    Not to belabor the point but you have a Mac: underpowered, overpriced and
    you have to deal with it. Your dollar will go much farther for software and
    hardware if your next computer is a real computer.

    dullpain, Jan 16, 2008
  5. Ockham's Razor

    Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:33:31 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
    <> wrote:

    >You snipped where I also ask about my computer.

    DL the demo and run it, you'll get your answer.

    >??? Why did you do that?

    See above,.

    >I included the camera to find any information about it producing 32 bit
    >RAW images.

    See page 131 of the "fine manual" for the D50, near the bottom under the
    compression heading. What does that tell you?

    , Jan 16, 2008