    Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?

    Thanks,
    SW

    Summer Wind, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Summer Wind

    floyyd k Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:

    >Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >SW

    First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.

    3 payware programs come to mind:

    Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.
    PhotoLine 32, better than PhotoShop in many ways, currently undergoing
    improvements to its HDR features, full 32-bit platform.
    PaintShopPro X2 (v12) I don't care for PSP these days since Corel bought it,
    but they do a decent job with the HDR interface in their latest incarnation.

    There's also some excellent freeware for this purpose. Those who are more
    familiar with them will hopefully say a few words. I know they can be every bit
    as good if not better than payware programs that support HDR processing.

    floyyd k, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Summer Wind

    Peter Jason Guest

    "floyyd k" <> wrote in
    message
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer
    > Wind" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Which would you recommend, aside from
    >>Photoshop CS2?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>SW
    >>

    > First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3
    > for that matter. It's always been a
    > 16-bit only math platform. No better than a
    > Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    > data and math involved with 16-bit digital
    > images for HDR merging is beyond the
    > abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do
    > it properly. Those that use it for
    > this purpose are only kidding themselves
    > and anyone they suggest it to.
    >
    > 3 payware programs come to mind:
    >
    > Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.
    > PhotoLine 32, better than PhotoShop in many
    > ways, currently undergoing
    > improvements to its HDR features, full
    > 32-bit platform.
    > PaintShopPro X2 (v12) I don't care for PSP
    > these days since Corel bought it,
    > but they do a decent job with the HDR
    > interface in their latest incarnation.
    >
    > There's also some excellent freeware for
    > this purpose. Those who are more
    > familiar with them will hopefully say a few
    > words. I know they can be every bit
    > as good if not better than payware programs
    > that support HDR processing.

    I have just installed "Photomatix 2.5" which
    is giving stunning results with streetscapes.

    Typically with this type of photo one gets
    the skyscrapers in brilliant light and the
    streets below in stygian gloom.

    I cannot get the Photoshop CS2 one to work -
    all it wants to do is make a panorama.

    With Photomatix 2.5 only two photos seem to
    be necessary, one bright & one dark. The
    result is far better than I have ever
    achieved manually.

    I am still new at all this, and I don't
    really understand the 8/16/32 bit colour
    thing and whether it applies to me.

    I have been using a tripod for the
    cityscapes, but with this software I will try
    for the exposure bracketing with a 3-shot
    burst (3/sec), and try to avoid the tripod,
    which is bulky.

    I have just bought a book "Light & Lighting
    in Digital Photography" by M Freeman ISBN10
    1-904705-88-X, and this explains numerous
    principles and much software available for
    this sort of thing.

    Peter Jason, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Summer Wind

    Dave Cohen Guest

    floyyd k wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> SW
    >>

    > First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    > 16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    > data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    > abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    > this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.
    >
    > 3 payware programs come to mind:
    >
    > Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.
    > PhotoLine 32, better than PhotoShop in many ways, currently undergoing
    > improvements to its HDR features, full 32-bit platform.
    > PaintShopPro X2 (v12) I don't care for PSP these days since Corel bought it,
    > but they do a decent job with the HDR interface in their latest incarnation.
    >
    > There's also some excellent freeware for this purpose. Those who are more
    > familiar with them will hopefully say a few words. I know they can be every bit
    > as good if not better than payware programs that support HDR processing.

    I'm interested in your comment regarding later psp. I'm using psp 7
    which I find quite adequate for fixing photos. Is there much to be
    gained in later versions. I don't have raw capability.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Summer Wind

    floyyd k Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:33:51 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >floyyd k wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> SW
    >>>

    >> First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    >> 16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    >> data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    >> abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    >> this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.
    >>
    >> 3 payware programs come to mind:
    >>
    >> Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.
    >> PhotoLine 32, better than PhotoShop in many ways, currently undergoing
    >> improvements to its HDR features, full 32-bit platform.
    >> PaintShopPro X2 (v12) I don't care for PSP these days since Corel bought it,
    >> but they do a decent job with the HDR interface in their latest incarnation.
    >>
    >> There's also some excellent freeware for this purpose. Those who are more
    >> familiar with them will hopefully say a few words. I know they can be every bit
    >> as good if not better than payware programs that support HDR processing.
    >>

    > I'm interested in your comment regarding later psp. I'm using psp 7
    >which I find quite adequate for fixing photos. Is there much to be
    >gained in later versions. I don't have raw capability.
    >Dave Cohen

    PSP 9.01, very much worth it, the first implementation of their noise and CA
    filters, worth it for just those 2 filters alone. The CA filter in PSP is the
    only reason I keep any new versions installed. Nobody has ever come up with a
    nicer way of dealing with that common digital camera artifact. PSP v9.01 can be
    bought for a song & a dance, if you can find it.

    PSP10, Okay, but buggy, only partial 16-bit support for its tools. With a minor
    binary tweak on one byte to the main exe file you can still get it to interface
    seamlessly with the Animation Shop v3.1.1 (the last one ever released). No can
    do in any PSP versions after that. This one might be worth having if you need
    16-bit support for most of your main processing tools.

    PSP11, Fuhgettaboutit. buggy, no reason at all to get it. Bug fixes were dropped
    and the "update" started out as vX2 (PSP12)

    PSP12, X2, Same bugs in PSP11, some even worse, supposed to have full(er?)
    16-bit support, but the HDR tool is pretty and produces some decent results
    depending on the photos selected. People are finding that it's not all that good
    on most HDR results though. (read corel's PaintShopProPhotoX2 forum to hear the
    sob stories from all the paying-for-the-privilege beta-testers)

    I check out all versions, but the only reason I keep any of them now is for the
    CA filter. I sure wish I could find the way they do that being implemented in a
    plugin, I'd finally be able to free up some valuable hard-drive real estate.

    Best bang for the buck is no doubt Jasc's original PSP v9.01, but then you are
    limited to 8-bit color-depth only in all tools. If all you ever use is JPG files
    then it's very much worth getting/having/using. I still find PhotoLine 32 to be
    best of all, it's the most full-featured work-horse ever written, its lossless
    JPG editing is nice when needed (something no other program can do). The new
    version 13.9 coming out is going to have 34 or more adjustment-layer (working
    layer) types. Can't wait to see what the final will have in it. Many users can't
    handle the rough-hewn GUI of PL32 and require "pretty" for their working
    environment (like settling for a Windows 3.1 level capability in all versions of
    PhotoShop, because it's a prettier interface), so they never explore PL32 enough
    to see its true capabilities. Their loss.

    floyyd k, Oct 15, 2007
  6. Summer Wind

    JL Guest

    Hi Dave,
    There is a huge difference between PSP 7 and the actual version PSPP X2.
    Scripts were introduced in PSP 8 and many "photo tools" were introduced too
    in each version. But if you are satisfied with v7 (a good one version), no
    need to move...
    %:>)

    You may test the full PSPP X2 version available free as 30 days trial on
    www.corel.com
    The dedicated PSP forums are available on www.corel.com -> Community ->
    Newsgroups

    Cordialement,
    Jean-Luc Ernst
    www.digigrey.com

    JL, Oct 15, 2007
  7. Summer Wind

    Summer Wind Guest

    "Peter Jason" <> wrote in message

    > I have just installed "Photomatix 2.5" which is giving stunning results
    > with streetscapes.

    Thanks. Photomatrix is one of the programs I'm considering. Is there a
    trial version available for download?

    I download the trial version of Dynamic Photo HDR last night and it looks
    like it might be adequate and it's only $40.00.

    http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

    It comes with six tonemap methods, Eye-Catching, Ultra-Contrast, Smooth
    Compressor, Auto-Adaptive, Photographic, and Human Eye. Eye-Catching and
    Ultra-Contrast produce garish results, which might be the desired effect for
    some subjects. Of the six, Smooth Compressor gives the most pleasing
    results, in my opinion. Auto-Adaptive is less contrasty than Smooth
    Compressor. In my tests, Photographic blew out the highlights on some
    images and Human Eye made the colors look bizarre.

    It's only $40.00, but I'd like to test drive a couple of other programs
    before buying one. I suppose that one of these days, HDR will be built into
    cameras as an exposure bracketing option.

    SW

    Summer Wind, Oct 15, 2007
  8. On Oct 14, 7:38 pm, floyyd k <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    > >Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?

    > >Thanks,
    > >SW

    > First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    > 16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    > data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    > abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    > this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.
    >
    > 3 payware programs come to mind:
    >
    > Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.

    snip
    Anyone know of Photomatix can read Nikon D50 RAW files?

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Oct 16, 2007
  9. Summer Wind

    acl Guest

    On Oct 16, 3:57 pm, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 7:38 pm, floyyd k <> wrote:> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    > > >Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?

    > > >Thanks,
    > > >SW

    > > First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    > > 16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    > > data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    > > abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    > > this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.

    > > 3 payware programs come to mind:

    > > Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.

    > snip
    > Anyone know of Photomatix can read Nikon D50 RAW files?

    from playing with it, it uses dcraw for raw conversion, so probably
    yes. You can download a trial, by the way.

    acl, Oct 16, 2007
  10. Summer Wind

    Peter Jason Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minnesota"
    <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 14, 7:38 pm, floyyd k
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer
    >> Wind" <> wrote:
    >> >Which would you recommend, aside from
    >> >Photoshop CS2?

    >> >Thanks,
    >> >SW

    >> First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3
    >> for that matter. It's always been a
    >> 16-bit only math platform. No better than
    >> a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    >> data and math involved with 16-bit digital
    >> images for HDR merging is beyond the
    >> abilities of any version of PhotoShop to
    >> do it properly. Those that use it for
    >> this purpose are only kidding themselves
    >> and anyone they suggest it to.
    >>
    >> 3 payware programs come to mind:
    >>
    >> Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.

    > snip
    > Anyone know of Photomatix can read Nikon
    > D50 RAW files?

    I don't think so. The Raws have to be
    converted to jpegs or tiffs for it to work.
    But check it out just in case.

    Peter Jason, Oct 17, 2007
  11. Summer Wind

    floyyd k Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 00:38:32 GMT, floyyd k <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:39:40 GMT, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>SW
    >>

    >First I would never recommend CS2 or CS3 for that matter. It's always been a
    >16-bit only math platform. No better than a Windows 3.1 program. The amount of
    >data and math involved with 16-bit digital images for HDR merging is beyond the
    >abilities of any version of PhotoShop to do it properly. Those that use it for
    >this purpose are only kidding themselves and anyone they suggest it to.
    >
    >3 payware programs come to mind:
    >
    >Photomatix, dedicated to HDR images only.
    >PhotoLine 32, better than PhotoShop in many ways, currently undergoing
    >improvements to its HDR features, full 32-bit platform.
    >PaintShopPro X2 (v12) I don't care for PSP these days since Corel bought it,
    >but they do a decent job with the HDR interface in their latest incarnation.
    >
    >There's also some excellent freeware for this purpose. Those who are more
    >familiar with them will hopefully say a few words. I know they can be every bit
    >as good if not better than payware programs that support HDR processing.

    Here's another one I started testing last night

    http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

    It does some pretty nice things. Tons of adjustment options for the tone-maps.
    Some decent presets to choose from for starting points for your own tweaks.

    It's really nice. I'm not too crazy about not being able to resize some of the
    GUI panels, but I like the results I'm getting from this one. The instant
    previews make it easy to make adjustments.

    I also saw this freeware mentioned by someone else, though I've not checked into
    it. The intro page looks like it has most of the needed features.

    http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

    floyyd k, Oct 17, 2007
  12. Summer Wind

    Paul Furman Guest

    floyyd k wrote:

    >> Summer Wind wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which would you recommend, aside from Photoshop CS2?

    > I also saw this freeware mentioned by someone else, though I've not checked into
    > it. The intro page looks like it has most of the needed features.
    >
    > http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

    The problem there is I cannot open the darn hdr tif files it outputs
    using CS1 (or anything). I googled all over about those formats with no
    luck. It's probably possible for linux gurus but I can't make any sense
    of it. I can't imagine why they don't have an option to output the tone
    mapped files to a standard format!

    Trying to track that down I found some other options:
    http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/resources/pfstools/#links
    No luck finding anything useable though.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 17, 2007
  13. Summer Wind

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <feujqk$1vbv$>, Peter Jason says...

    > I have been using a tripod for the
    > cityscapes, but with this software I will try
    > for the exposure bracketing with a 3-shot
    > burst (3/sec), and try to avoid the tripod,
    > which is bulky.

    Do you always have to use a tripod or is Photomatix 2.5 capable of
    merging in a panorama stitch fashion two slightly displaced shots?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 18, 2007