    Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    £60, is it a bargain or junk?

    Malcolm

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Malcolm H

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:32:40 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

    > I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror lens.
    >
    > 1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
    > full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
    > adjusted manually?
    >
    > 2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
    > Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    > £60, is it a bargain or junk?
    >
    > Malcolm

    It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
    mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
    camera.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    Neil Ellwood, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:32:40 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror
    >> lens.
    >>
    >> 1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
    >> full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
    >> adjusted manually?
    >>
    >> 2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
    >> Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    >> £60, is it a bargain or junk?
    >>
    >> Malcolm

    > It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
    > mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
    > camera.
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    > Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if the
    metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
    aperture priority mode.

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Malcolm H

    Charles Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:48:59 GMT, "Malcolm H" <>
    wrote:

    >"Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:32:40 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror
    >>> lens.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
    >>> full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
    >>> adjusted manually?
    >>>
    >>> 2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
    >>> Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    >>> £60, is it a bargain or junk?
    >>>
    >>> Malcolm

    >> It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
    >> mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    >I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if the
    >metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
    >aperture priority mode.

    That's more of a question about the camera than it is the lens. What
    does the camera do if you try to take a -picture with no lens
    attached.

    I use Canon, I don't know about Nikon, but the no-lens thing and a
    T-Mount mirror appear the same to the camera.

    Obviously you won't get an image, but see if you can get an exposure,
    should be medium gray.

    Charles, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Malcolm H

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Malcolm H" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror lens.
    >
    > 1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
    > full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
    > adjusted manually?
    >
    > 2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
    > Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    > £60, is it a bargain or junk?
    >
    > Malcolm

    You will have no metering. The aperture is fixed. Bohkah is characteristic
    of reflex lenses.
    I have a Russian 500mm/ƒ5.6 and it has very little depth of field.

    Works in MANUAL only on my D-50. I see no reason why it should not be the
    same on a D-80.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Malcolm H

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:48:59 GMT, "Malcolm H" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that
    >>> the
    >>> mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
    >>> camera.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Neil
    >>> Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    >>I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if
    >>the
    >>metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
    >>aperture priority mode.
    >>

    > That's more of a question about the camera than it is the lens. What
    > does the camera do if you try to take a -picture with no lens
    > attached.
    >
    > I use Canon, I don't know about Nikon, but the no-lens thing and a
    > T-Mount mirror appear the same to the camera.
    >
    > Obviously you won't get an image, but see if you can get an exposure,
    > should be medium gray.

    Yes, its the same for Nikon. Manual only. No metering. Manual focus.

    f8 is actually better than f5.6, increased depth of field, much needed.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message

    > "Charles" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:48:59 GMT, "Malcolm H" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message

    >>>I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if
    >>>the
    >>>metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
    >>>aperture priority mode.
    >>>

    >> That's more of a question about the camera than it is the lens. What
    >> does the camera do if you try to take a -picture with no lens
    >> attached.
    >>
    >> I use Canon, I don't know about Nikon, but the no-lens thing and a
    >> T-Mount mirror appear the same to the camera.
    >>
    >> Obviously you won't get an image, but see if you can get an exposure,
    >> should be medium gray.
    >>

    > Yes, its the same for Nikon. Manual only. No metering. Manual focus.
    >
    > f8 is actually better than f5.6, increased depth of field, much needed.

    Yes I confirm My D80 shutter works only in Manual with no lens.

    What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain or
    junk???

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Malcolm H

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Malcolm H" <> writes:
    > What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain or
    > junk???

    Cheap mirror lenses are in general junk.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Little Juice Coupe, Jan 30, 2007
  10. No, the D80 will not meter with this lens. You would need the D200 for that.

    Henk & Marga Jamin, Jan 30, 2007
  11. Malcolm H

    ink Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote...
    > "Malcolm H" <> writes:
    >> What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain
    >> or
    >> junk???

    > Cheap mirror lenses are in general junk.

    Malcolm,

    Paul is most definitely right... I have a Phoenix Samyang 500mm f/8 cat
    lens, and it IS junk... wish I'd never got it and used the money for
    something worthwhile. Like a beer. Oh well, you live and learn... ;-)

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    "ink" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote...
    >> "Malcolm H" <> writes:
    >>> What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a
    >>> bargain or
    >>> junk???

    >> Cheap mirror lenses are in general junk.

    > Malcolm,
    >
    > Paul is most definitely right... I have a Phoenix Samyang 500mm f/8 cat
    > lens, and it IS junk... wish I'd never got it and used the money for
    > something worthwhile. Like a beer. Oh well, you live and learn... ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > ink

    Thank you for that ink, my suspicions confirmed!!

    Malcolm H, Jan 31, 2007