    play on my present player, yet there are no warnings on the box about
    this. Anyone know what is going on here?

    Marshall
    Marshall Dudley, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Marshall Dudley wrote:
    > I just saw a boxed set of Seinfeld season 30 episodes of 1-3 years DVD
    > boxed set at Walmart today. The box claims that it is the first high
    > definition DVD available. What's going on here?

    No, its just saying that the source material for the DVD itself was
    mastered in HD. The final DVDs (like the ones you saw at Wal-Mart)
    are standard DVDs.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Marshall Dudley

    drsd2kill Guest

    I think what it says is they were "mastered in high definition" for the first
    time, which they were. They went back to the film and re-transferred and
    re-edited the episodes to conform to the finished shows (TV shows shot on film
    are now always transferred to video to be edited, so the original film is never
    edited - a big task to have it all re-transferred and re-edited). The video
    quality of the episodes is thus MUCH higher than it would've been, while the
    high definition master has been donwconverted for standard DVD.
    drsd2kill, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Marshall Dudley

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    (drsd2kill) wrote:

    > I think what it says is they were "mastered in high definition" for the first
    > time, which they were. They went back to the film and re-transferred and
    > re-edited the episodes to conform to the finished shows (TV shows shot on
    > film
    > are now always transferred to video to be edited, so the original film is
    > never
    > edited - a big task to have it all re-transferred and re-edited). The video
    > quality of the episodes is thus MUCH higher than it would've been, while the
    > high definition master has been donwconverted for standard DVD.

    This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
    releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
    now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
    titles.

    So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
    Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

    Of course, the first two seasons have kind of low production values.
    Even though it's shot on film (so the resolution should be worthy of
    HDTV), it's probably not widescreen film.
    poldy, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Marshall Dudley

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Marshall Dudley wrote:
    >> I just saw a boxed set of Seinfeld season 30 episodes of 1-3 years
    >> DVD boxed set at Walmart today. The box claims that it is the first
    >> high definition DVD available. What's going on here?

    > No, its just saying that the source material for the DVD itself was
    > mastered in HD. The final DVDs (like the ones you saw at Wal-Mart)
    > are standard DVDs.

    What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show? ;)

    Mike Kohary, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Mike Kohary wrote:
    > What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show? ;)

    Already done that.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    I suggest people who care to do a search on Google to see
    how I feel about crap like "Seinfeld" and "Friends."
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Marshall Dudley

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "poldy" <> wrote in message
    > This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
    > releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
    > now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
    > titles.
    >
    > So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
    > Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

    Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their entire
    catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how long
    it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Marshall Dudley

    Biz Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "poldy" <> wrote in message
    > > This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
    > > releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
    > > now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
    > > titles.
    > >
    > > So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
    > > Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

    > Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their entire
    > catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how long
    > it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.

    The reasons that Star Wars and Indy werent released on DVD havent got
    anything to do with new formats, so why would you make such a poor and wrong
    comparison?
    Biz, Nov 28, 2004
  9. Marshall Dudley

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >> What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show? ;)

    > Already done that.
    >
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little
    > I suggest people who care to do a search on Google to see
    > how I feel about crap like "Seinfeld" and "Friends."

    I hope you know I was just kidding with you... ;)

    Mike Kohary, Nov 28, 2004
  10. Mike Kohary wrote:
    > I hope you know I was just kidding with you... ;)

    Hard to tell sometimes round here.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    You know, with all the flame wars and such its hard
    to tell when someone is just joking.
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Marshall Dudley

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >> I hope you know I was just kidding with you... ;)

    > Hard to tell sometimes round here.

    I know, but I use my winkies seriously. :)

    Mike Kohary, Nov 29, 2004
  12. Marshall Dudley

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their
    >> entire
    >> catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how
    >> long
    >> it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.

    > The reasons that Star Wars and Indy werent released on DVD havent got
    > anything to do with new formats,

    It doesn't, really? Then why were those films released on every previous
    video format but took 7 years to get to DVD?

    > so why would you make such a poor and wrong
    > comparison?

    Fine, then, look how long it took us to get Seinfeld on DVD.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 29, 2004
  13. Marshall Dudley

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:46:22 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their
    >>> entire
    >>> catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how
    >>> long
    >>> it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.

    >> The reasons that Star Wars and Indy werent released on DVD havent got
    >> anything to do with new formats,

    > It doesn't, really? Then why were those films released on every previous
    > video format but took 7 years to get to DVD?

    Well, for Star Wars it was because Lucas wanted to alter the versions some
    more, including changes that would tie in the series with the new prequels.
    The films also went through digital cleaning and restoration to make them
    the best home video versions available ever in terms of video and sound
    quality.

    With Indy, I think the films also went through some restoration, as well as
    some tampering to remove the more egregious errors. Also, Universal
    compiled a large amount of special features for the set, which took a while
    to make. Come to think of it, Star Wars had an awful lot of new special
    features as well.

    So I think the newness of the DVD format had *somewhat* of a part in their
    prolonged release, especially since it's the highest quality mainstream
    media format so far. However, I'm sure both studios would've been fine
    releasing quick LD ports of these titles early on in the DVD cycle, and
    then release SE editions later on, like Fox did with the Alien series. It
    was more the directors and producers involved, Spielberg and Lucas, who
    delayed these releases until they were of sufficient quality.

    >> so why would you make such a poor and wrong
    >> comparison?

    > Fine, then, look how long it took us to get Seinfeld on DVD.

    Seinfeld took so long because they went back and re-mastered the show in
    High Definition. For the HD discs, they won't have to worry about that
    step, so it could feasibly come out much sooner in the HD format's
    lifespan.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Nov 29, 2004
  14. Marshall Dudley

    Jay G. Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:07:37 -0600, Jay G. wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:46:22 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> Fine, then, look how long it took us to get Seinfeld on DVD.

    > Seinfeld took so long because they went back and re-mastered the show in
    > High Definition. For the HD discs, they won't have to worry about that
    > step, so it could feasibly come out much sooner in the HD format's
    > lifespan.

    Also, it should be noted that Seinfeld *never* came out on VHS. So
    lifetime of the format doesn't seem to be a factor in that case.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Nov 29, 2004
  15. Marshall Dudley

    Biz Guest

    "Jay G." <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:07:37 -0600, Jay G. wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:46:22 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > >> Fine, then, look how long it took us to get Seinfeld on DVD.

    > > Seinfeld took so long because they went back and re-mastered the show in
    > > High Definition. For the HD discs, they won't have to worry about that
    > > step, so it could feasibly come out much sooner in the HD format's
    > > lifespan.

    > Also, it should be noted that Seinfeld *never* came out on VHS. So
    > lifetime of the format doesn't seem to be a factor in that case.
    >
    > -Jay

    I would guess the biggest reason for the Seinfeld delay was syndication
    rights in the US...which ends up being the case for most any successful tv
    show in the US
    Biz, Nov 30, 2004
  16. Marshall Dudley

    poldy Guest

    In article <1wcdxpw5y3198.1o7hs8nlxy9su$>,
    "Jay G." <> wrote:

    > > Fine, then, look how long it took us to get Seinfeld on DVD.

    > Seinfeld took so long because they went back and re-mastered the show in
    > High Definition. For the HD discs, they won't have to worry about that
    > step, so it could feasibly come out much sooner in the HD format's
    > lifespan.

    Plus they wanted to milk syndication rights for as long as possible.

    Now, they're ready to make money in home video.
    poldy, Dec 1, 2004