High Definition DVD in Windows Medai 9: will it play on a DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Z Man, May 29, 2004.

  1. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's are
    available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want to
    watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done, which
    make/model DVD player would you recommend?
    Z Man, May 29, 2004

  2. Re: High Definition DVD in Windows Medai 9: will it play on a DVDplayer

    Z Man wrote:

    > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's are
    > available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want to
    > watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done, which
    > make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    A company called Bravo or something is putting out a set-top box that
    does Microsoft HD, if it's not already out it it supposed to be out in
    the summer.

    --
    "Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
    --Tommy Hilfiger

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, May 29, 2004

  3. Z Man

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Z Man <> wrote in message news:eek:i7uc.86556$...
    > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's are
    > available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want to
    > watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done, which
    > make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    I would start here

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...arted/personalization/Devices_HomeTheater.asp
    Hugh Candlin, May 29, 2004
  4. Z Man

    Ric Guest

    Z Man wrote:
    > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition
    > DVD's are available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a
    > computer, but I want to watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home
    > theatre setup and watch high definition shows all the time. I know I
    > can build a PC to watch these movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD
    > player. If this can be done, which make/model DVD player would you
    > recommend?

    um, probably not. it's a pseudo-format devised to sell XP PCs and Xboxes -
    there's no vested interest in it working on your DVD player for Microsoft,
    is there?
    Ric, May 29, 2004
  5. Z Man

    luminos Guest

    "Ric" <> wrote in message
    > Z Man wrote:
    > > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition
    > > DVD's are available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a
    > > computer, but I want to watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home
    > > theatre setup and watch high definition shows all the time. I know I
    > > can build a PC to watch these movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD
    > > player. If this can be done, which make/model DVD player would you
    > > recommend?

    > um, probably not. it's a pseudo-format devised to sell XP PCs and

    Xboxes -
    > there's no vested interest in it working on your DVD player for Microsoft,
    > is there?

    Please read some literature. The Microsoft format is being very heavily
    lobbied for use in the next generation of high definition TV....blu ray and
    its competitor (without a name).
    luminos, May 29, 2004
  6. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    Re: High Definition DVD in Windows Media 9: will it play on a DVD player

    > > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's

    are
    > > available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I

    want to
    > > watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > > definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > > movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done,

    which
    > > make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    > I would start here

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...arted/personalization/Devices_HomeTheater.asp

    I have seen that list, but I am not clear that it will play high definition
    content. I hope that it can, because that would make things a lot easier,
    and a lot cheaper, if all I need to do is purchase one of those models (I
    already have my current DVD player hooked up via component video).
    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  7. Z Man

    > > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's

    are
    > > available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I

    want to
    > > watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > > definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > > movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done,

    which
    > > make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    > I would start here

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...arted/personalization/Devices_HomeTheater.asp

    One other thought....if anyone has one of these models, and owns a copy of
    T2 Extreme, please try playing the HD content and post your results right
    here.
    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  8. Z Man

    Karl S Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:16:27 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >A company called Bravo or something is putting out a set-top box that
    >does Microsoft HD, if it's not already out it it supposed to be out in
    >the summer.

    It's not out yet:

    V INC. ANNOUNCES BRAVO HD DVD PLAYER WITH WINDOWS MEDIA VIDEO 9 AND
    HIGHMAT PLAYBACK

    V Inc. Bravo D3 Home HD DVD Media Player is First to Announce Support
    for High Definition WMV9 and HighMAT Formatted Playback
    Powered by Sigma Design’s New EM8620L Single Solution on-chip
    Processor with REALmagic HD Decoding and Processing
    Windows Media Video 9 Provides Better Compression for Streaming and
    Storing Content with Full Digital Rights Management Protection for HD
    Content
    FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CA. and LAS VEGAS, NV (CES) – January 6, 2004 - V
    Inc., the multiple award-winning digital display maker, today
    announced the first high definition DVD player with Windows Media
    Video 9 and HighMAT formatted playback. Powered by Sigma Design’s
    (Nasdaq: SIGM) EM8620L on-chip processor, the Bravo D3 also provides
    pure perfect DVD playback via DVI output in high-resolution 480p,
    1080i and 720p formats. Expected to ship in Q’2 2004 with a target
    retail of $349.99, the Bravo D3 is consistent with V Inc.’s mission to
    bring practical technological innovation to consumer electronics
    products while maintaining operational simplicity and value.

    The Bravo D3 will also include DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW
    playback. The Bravo D3 is the first DVD player capable of playing
    MPEG2, MPEG4 and WMV9 in High Definition. Audio decoding includes
    WMA9, WMA Pro, WMA lossless, Dolby Digital, MP3, MPEG-1/2 (layers 1,
    2, and 3) and MPEG-4 AAC. The player supports Dolby Digital and DTS®
    multi-channel audio pass-through on Toslink optical and S/PDIF coaxial
    digital outputs. The player features NTSC/PAL output in composite and
    S-Video formats with interlaced or progressive component video output
    in 480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p and user-definable linear and non-linear
    resolutions.

    Any form of decoded content can be output in a direct digital DVI-HDTV
    video RGB format

    keeping the display free from analog conversion artifacts. Beyond the
    normal decoding of content, the player will offer REALmagic scaling
    and scan conversion with appropriate 3:2 pull down, advanced display
    processing including, programmable linear and non-linear scaling, a
    5-plane video mixer, adaptive de-interlacing, adaptive flicker
    filtering and pixel-based alpha mixing - all free of annoying
    interlaced chroma problems. The player’s component video output will
    be limited to 480p on playback of DVD content when CSS copy protection
    is found. The player’s DVD drive and processor will be second to none
    with transparent layer changes and a convenient zoom function for
    non-anamorphic content rendering.

    “We’re extremely pleased with our successor to the popular Bravo D1.
    By integrating Windows Media Video 9 decoding, the Bravo D3 continues
    our goal of making more high definition content readily available for
    HDTVs,” stated William Wang, CEO of V Inc.
    Karl S, May 30, 2004
  9. Z Man

    Galley Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:31:00 GMT, "Z Man" <> spewed forth these
    words of wisdom:

    >Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's are
    >available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want to
    >watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    >definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    >movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done, which
    >make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    "Step Into Liquid" comes with the WMV-HD version of the film on the second disc.
    It will not play in a standard DVD player.

    Galley
    Galley, May 30, 2004
  10. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:31:00 GMT, "Z Man" <> spewed forth

    these
    > words of wisdom:
    >
    > >Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's

    are
    > >available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want

    > >watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > >definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > >movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done,

    which
    > >make/model DVD player would you recommend?
    > >

    > "Step Into Liquid" comes with the WMV-HD version of the film on the second

    disc.
    > It will not play in a standard DVD player.

    I guess that pretty much settles the matter, sad to say. Thanks for the
    info.
    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  11. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:16:27 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >A company called Bravo or something is putting out a set-top box that
    > >does Microsoft HD, if it's not already out it it supposed to be out in
    > >the summer.

    > It's not out yet:

    <snip>

    This unit now appears to be shipping, for $249 plus 15 shipping charge. The
    real question is, will it be worth it to expend that money considering that
    there are only a few high definition titles available, such as T2 Extreme?
    The company is located at: http://www.vinc.com/
    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  12. Z Man

    Badger Guest

    Z Man wrote:

    > Subject pretty much sums up my query, A handful of high definition DVD's are
    > available in WM9 format, and they can be played on a computer, but I want to
    > watch them on my HDTV. I have a decent home theatre setup and watch high
    > definition shows all the time. I know I can build a PC to watch these
    > movies, but I would prefer to buy a DVD player. If this can be done, which
    > make/model DVD player would you recommend?

    I believe the Bravo D3 is what you're looking for. It's not been
    released yet to my knowledge.

    There are a couple more coming.

    Clay
    Badger, May 30, 2004
  13. Z Man

    Karl S Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:37:19 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:

    >This unit now appears to be shipping, for $249 plus 15 shipping charge.

    The model D2 is shipping, not the D3.
    Karl S, May 30, 2004
  14. Re: High Definition DVD in Windows Medai 9: will it play on a DVDplayer

    Z Man wrote:
    > This unit now appears to be shipping, for $249 plus 15 shipping charge. The
    > real question is, will it be worth it to expend that money considering that
    > there are only a few high definition titles available, such as T2 Extreme?
    > The company is located at: http://www.vinc.com/

    There are about a dozen HD DVD titles out now. If it lights a fire
    under the development of blue laser HD-DVD, then I'm all for it.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, May 30, 2004
  15. Z Man

    Z Man Guest

    "Karl S" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:37:19 GMT, "Z Man" <> wrote:
    >
    > >This unit now appears to be shipping, for $249 plus 15 shipping charge.

    > The model D2 is shipping, not the D3.

    I took another look and found the press release about the D3, which is
    expected in the second quarter of 2004, so we have another month if vinc
    stick to its schedule. Considering the lack of DVD's in Windows Media 9 high
    definition format, it would seem premature to purchase the D2 right now.
    Z Man, May 31, 2004
  16. Z Man

    BBB Guest

    I read some where that a company was releasing a DVD player with wmv9
    capabilities. Currently I use my htpc connected to my hitachi big screen via
    DVI to view the movies. The picture and sound is great! One problem I've had
    was you need an internet connection to aquire the lisense. Even though you
    pay $30 for the disc you have to download the lisence. I don't have the
    internet at home. Lugged my HTPC to work, got the lisence for T2, 1 week or
    so later I was promped for a lisence again!!! Maybe the DVD player will need
    a perminent phone connection??
    Any one find a way around this bullshit lisenceing issue with T2?
    BBB, May 31, 2004
  17. Z Man

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Ric, says...
    > um, probably not. it's a pseudo-format devised to sell XP PCs and Xboxes -
    > there's no vested interest in it working on your DVD player for Microsoft,
    > is there?

    It's not a "pseudo-format" for games. It's being used in motion picture
    production. Some film productions have started to distribute their
    dailies to production staff and executives in HD format on disk, as
    opposed to the old fashioned tape.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 2, 2004
  18. Z Man

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:43:25 -0300, "BBB" <> wrote:

    >I read some where that a company was releasing a DVD player with wmv9
    >capabilities. Currently I use my htpc connected to my hitachi big screen via
    >DVI to view the movies. The picture and sound is great! One problem I've had
    >was you need an internet connection to aquire the lisense. Even though you
    >pay $30 for the disc you have to download the lisence. I don't have the
    >internet at home. Lugged my HTPC to work, got the lisence for T2, 1 week or
    >so later I was promped for a lisence again!!! Maybe the DVD player will need
    >a perminent phone connection??
    >Any one find a way around this bullshit lisenceing issue with T2?

    Anyone know what a lisense or a lisence is?

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Jun 3, 2004
  19. Z Man

    Hugh Candlin Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:43:25 -0300, "BBB" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I read some where that a company was releasing a DVD player with wmv9
    > >capabilities. Currently I use my htpc connected to my hitachi big screen via
    > >DVI to view the movies. The picture and sound is great! One problem I've had
    > >was you need an internet connection to aquire the lisense. Even though you
    > >pay $30 for the disc you have to download the lisence. I don't have the
    > >internet at home. Lugged my HTPC to work, got the lisence for T2, 1 week or
    > >so later I was promped for a lisence again!!! Maybe the DVD player will need
    > >a perminent phone connection??
    > >Any one find a way around this bullshit lisenceing issue with T2?
    > >

    > Anyone know what a lisense or a lisence is?

    It is something that poetic people take.
    Hugh Candlin, Jun 3, 2004
  20. Z Man

    Karyudo Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:37:26 GMT, "Hugh Candlin" <> wrote:

    >> Anyone know what a lisense or a lisence is?

    >It is something that poetic people take.

    I think you mean peyotic people.
    Karyudo, Jun 5, 2004