High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040815/film_nm/film_highdef_dc_1

    By Jill Kipnis

    LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Toshiba/NEC plans to have its
    high-definition DVD hardware on retail shelves in early 2005.

    The manufacturing partnership announced at a Tokyo showcase the last
    week of July that HD DVD players will be available next year in the
    United States and Japan. The Toshiba/NEC format is endorsed by the DVD
    Forum, an international association of 200 companies.

    The rival Blu-ray HD format -- which is backed by 13 manufacturers,
    including Sony, Samsung, Philips, Dell and Hewlett-Packard -- is
    expected to introduce its players in the States by the end of 2005.
    Blu-ray hardware has already launched in Japan.

    So far, the only home-video distributor to officially endorse one of
    the HD formats is Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, whose parent
    company, Sony, is a key proponent of Blu-ray.

    Reuters/Billboard

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > So far, the only home-video distributor to officially endorse one of
    > the HD formats is Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, whose parent
    > company, Sony, is a key proponent of Blu-ray.

    The only thing that really matters is what format the movies are
    in when they are made available for purchase. I am inclined to
    buy a Sony unit because I have had good results with them.

    Mark Jones, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Allan

    Guest

    The only current "HD DVD for purchase currently works only on computers
    and only on wndows media player. Stand-alone players for this type of
    HD-DVD will be made in the future.

    These are the only true HD DVD" discs currently available for purchase
    in regular stores.

    All of this information was printed in "TV Guide"

    , Aug 21, 2004