High-def discs will never require dedicated Internet connection, says AACS rep.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    "Redmond (WA) - Contrary to statements made by reputable officials,
    reported in TG Daily and elsewhere, stating that Blu-ray and HD DVD
    high-definition video disc players would require dedicated and
    exclusive wired Internet connections in order to implement a key
    provision of AACS copy protection, a spokesperson for the AACS
    Licensing Administrator, who is also one of Microsoft's key
    representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the
    copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network
    equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."

    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/hi...ired_internet/

    "This is air tight."

    "Done Deal"

    h well, maybe not Alpha.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 24, 2006

  2. On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:38:55 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >"Redmond (WA) - Contrary to statements made by reputable officials,
    >reported in TG Daily and elsewhere, stating that Blu-ray and HD DVD
    >high-definition video disc players would require dedicated and
    >exclusive wired Internet connections in order to implement a key
    >provision of AACS copy protection, a spokesperson for the AACS
    >Licensing Administrator, who is also one of Microsoft's key
    >representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the
    >copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network
    >equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."
    >

    >http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/hi...ired_internet/
    >

    >"This is air tight."
    >
    >"Done Deal"
    >
    >h well, maybe not Alpha.
    >

    >"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    >-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    >- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    The header on this post is misleading, Was going to say read the last
    senence , then I realized the whoe thing was just one sentence.
    Any way read the last 20 or so words. They still may require the unit
    to contact some sort of database.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Allan

    Guest Guest

    Will Blu-Ray require ANYTHING in addition to the disc, the player and the
    monitor? Anything at all? Anything not required by current DVDs?

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Allan

    unclejr Guest

    Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
    > The header on this post is misleading,

    Agreed.

    > Was going to say read the last
    > senence , then I realized the whoe thing was just one sentence.

    TMML.

    > Any way read the last 20 or so words. They still may require the unit
    > to contact some sort of database.

    Yup, but the key word is, "dedicated."

    -Junior
    unclejr, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > "Redmond (WA) - <snip>one of Microsoft's key
    > representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the
    > copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network
    > equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."

    Sorry, but any scheme that requires an internet connect before you can
    watch a movie isn't worth it, IMHO.

    By the way Allan, how many HD-DVD movies do you have now? you must have
    bought a ton in the past 4 months considering we are 13 months past
    your "about 9 months away" prediction:

    Feb 7TH 2005 Allan wrote:
    > Because we're maybe nine months away from when the studios start issuing their
    > catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with rival HD format Blu-Ray following
    > close behind), I'm not buying movies on DVD these days.

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/14/hd-dvd-movies-not-coming-soon/

    "If you've already pre-ordered some HD-DVD videos for that HD-DVD
    player that you also pre-ordered, you may end up getting the deck
    before you get the flicks. Warner Home Video -- the only studio that
    had set a firm date for a rollout of HD-DVD movies -- has now backed
    off and won't commit to a specific timetable."
    selaboc, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Per selaboc:

    >Sorry, but any scheme that requires an internet connect before you can
    >watch a movie isn't worth it, IMHO.

    I predict that anything with too-onerous copy protection will not catch on.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 24, 2006
  7. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > Will Blu-Ray require ANYTHING in addition to the disc, the player and
    > the monitor? Anything at all? Anything not required by current DVDs?

    If it does, I am not interested.
    Mark Jones, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > "Redmond (WA) - Contrary to statements made by reputable officials,
    > reported in TG Daily and elsewhere, stating that Blu-ray and HD DVD
    > high-definition video disc players would require dedicated and
    > exclusive wired Internet connections in order to implement a key
    > provision of AACS copy protection, a spokesperson for the AACS
    > Licensing Administrator, who is also one of Microsoft's key
    > representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the
    > copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network
    > equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."
    >

    > http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/hi...ired_internet/
    >

    > "This is air tight."
    >
    > "Done Deal"
    >
    > h well, maybe not Alpha.

    That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.
    Alpha, Mar 24, 2006
  9. Allan

    Guest

    selaboc wrote:

    > By the way Allan, how many HD-DVD movies do you have now? you must have
    > bought a ton in the past 4 months considering we are 13 months past
    > your "about 9 months away" prediction:

    More of your pointless lies?

    ===
    = DUG.
    ===
    , Mar 25, 2006
  10. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:00:25 -0800, Fred C. Dobbs <>
    wrote:

    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/high-def_discs_will_never_require_wired_internet/

    >The header on this post is misleading, Was going to say read the last
    >senence , then I realized the whoe thing was just one sentence.
    >Any way read the last 20 or so words. They still may require the unit
    >to contact some sort of database.

    The header is not misleading. "NEVER REQUIRE" a dedicated internet
    connection is the key.

    Naturally if you want access some special features that may be
    included... internet could be an option. Very different than
    "requiring" a permanent connection to play a disc.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 24 Mar 2006 11:13:17 -0800, "selaboc" <> wrote:

    >Allan wrote:
    >> "Redmond (WA) - <snip>one of Microsoft's key
    >> representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the
    >> copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network
    >> equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."

    >Sorry, but any scheme that requires an internet connect before you can
    >watch a movie isn't worth it, IMHO.

    That scheme does not exist.

    " In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    require an Internet connection, it will never require one."

    NEVER.

    >By the way Allan, how many HD-DVD movies do you have now?

    Zero.

    >you must have bought a ton in the past 4 months considering we are 13 months past
    >your "about 9 months away" prediction:
    >
    >Feb 7TH 2005 Allan wrote:
    >> Because we're maybe nine months away from when the studios start issuing their
    >> catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with rival HD format Blu-Ray following
    >> close behind), I'm not buying movies on DVD these days.

    I can control a lot of things.. but changing deadlines from
    Manufacturers is not one of them

    >http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/14/hd-dvd-movies-not-coming-soon/
    >
    >"If you've already pre-ordered some HD-DVD videos for that HD-DVD
    >player that you also pre-ordered, you may end up getting the deck
    >before you get the flicks. Warner Home Video -- the only studio that
    >had set a firm date for a rollout of HD-DVD movies -- has now backed
    >off and won't commit to a specific timetable."

    No time line?

    "Warner Home Video said Thursday that it has pushed back the release
    dates of its initial slate of high-definition DVD titles to April 18
    from March 28."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  12. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:08 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.

    "In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    require an Internet connection, it will never require one."

    Yeah... that's exactly what it says.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  14. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 24 Mar 2006 11:13:17 -0800, "selaboc" <> wrote:

    >By the way Allan, how many HD-DVD movies do you have now? you must have
    >bought a ton in the past 4 months considering we are 13 months past
    >your "about 9 months away" prediction:

    Figured I better put my money where my mouth is... just pre-order my
    first HD DVD. Ships in three days (March 28).

    Will report back when it arrives.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  15. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:08 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.
    >>

    > "In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    > require an Internet connection, it will never require one."
    >
    > Yeah... that's exactly what it says.

    That is a quote that contradicts the later emphatic statement about AACS and
    an internet connection that can be shared with other devices, rather than a
    dedicated connection.
    Alpha, Mar 25, 2006
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:05:15 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:08 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.
    >>>

    >> "In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    >> require an Internet connection, it will never require one."
    >>
    >> Yeah... that's exactly what it says.
    >>

    >That is a quote that contradicts the later emphatic statement about AACS and
    >an internet connection that can be shared with other devices, rather than a
    >dedicated connection.

    "Can"..., is not "required".

    Current DVD's "can" be used in a DVD ROM to access additional content.
    Certainly doesn't mean they have to.

    Allan, Mar 26, 2006
  17. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:05:15 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Allan" <> wrote in
    >>message

    >>> "In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    >>> require an Internet connection, it will never require one."
    >>>
    >>> Yeah... that's exactly what it says.
    >>>

    >>That is a quote that contradicts the later emphatic statement about AACS
    >>and
    >>an internet connection that can be shared with other devices, rather than
    >>dedicated connection.

    > "Can"..., is not "required".

    This was such a report of integrity, that the link you provided is already
    broken...I cannot copy the appropriate passage.
    Alpha, Mar 26, 2006
  18. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:38:44 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:08 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.
    >>

    >"In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    >require an Internet connection, it will never require one."
    >
    >Yeah... that's exactly what it says.
    >

    >"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    >-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    >- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Again read the last part of the article.

    "Internet connectivity will be used by the managed copy feature, which
    remains a critical point of contention among members of AACS and the
    companies seeking license agreements to employ AACS technology.
    Indeed, Doherty admitted, the fact that parties cannot yet agree about
    how to implement this feature - or even what certain terms should mean
    - is why AACS remains an "interim" specification today, and not a
    complete one. More from Richard Doherty's interview with us,
    including his take on the whole 1080i / 1080p resolution debacle,
    tomorrow on TG Daily"

    I take interpet that to mean that somewhere down the line the will
    require the internet connection.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Mar 26, 2006
  19. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Fred C. Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:38:44 -0500, Allan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:08 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>That says nothing other than they WILL use networks for the AACS.
    >>>

    >>"In other words, not only will playback of AACS-protected content not
    >>require an Internet connection, it will never require one."
    >>
    >>Yeah... that's exactly what it says.
    >>

    >>"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >>because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
    >>from
    >>-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
    >>time."
    >>- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    > Again read the last part of the article.
    >
    > "Internet connectivity will be used by the managed copy feature, which
    > remains a critical point of contention among members of AACS and the
    > companies seeking license agreements to employ AACS technology.
    > Indeed, Doherty admitted, the fact that parties cannot yet agree about
    > how to implement this feature - or even what certain terms should mean
    > - is why AACS remains an "interim" specification today, and not a
    > complete one. More from Richard Doherty's interview with us,
    > including his take on the whole 1080i / 1080p resolution debacle,
    > tomorrow on TG Daily"
    >
    > I take interpet that to mean that somewhere down the line the will
    > require the internet connection.

    Thank you for finding this. They took down the link...probably because the
    article is of suspect veracity.
    Alpha, Mar 26, 2006
  20. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    wrote:
    > selaboc wrote:
    >
    > > By the way Allan, how many HD-DVD movies do you have now? you must have
    > > bought a ton in the past 4 months considering we are 13 months past
    > > your "about 9 months away" prediction:

    > More of your pointless lies?
    >
    > ===
    > = DUG.
    > ===

    Wow, my very own internet stalker. y'know Dummy, er Duggy, rather then
    stalking me, you'd make better use of your time learning basic math and
    reading comprehension skills. and for your info Dummy, "52 extra" is
    still NOT 40.
    selaboc, Mar 28, 2006