    --
    Andrew S.

    , Apr 15, 2008

  2. Guest

    On 15 Apr, 19:20, wrote:
    > Hello to all!
    >
    > I have the following problem: I have two Internet connections, one is
    > just for backup and the other one is active. I want when the active
    > one goes "down", the other one to kick in. I thought of HSRP or VRRP
    > but this won`t solve my problem because the link never goes down ...
    > sometimes the ISP network goes down somewhere and only the ISP network
    > is available. I can implement a solution on a variety of routers / PIX
    > firewalls / servers.
    >
    > Do you have any solutions that you think might work or are you
    > currently using one successfully ?
    > Please let me know

    Look at SAA Policy based routing.
    I think that Cisco have changed the name of it (again?).
    Someone will be along in a minute with the new name.

    This lets you ping something and do routing depending on
    the results.

    I think you can also influence HSRP priorities
    based on ping or other probe results.

    This will fix outbound traffic if you are doing NAT.

    , Apr 15, 2008

  3. Guest

    On 15 Apr, 19:39, wrote:
    > On 15 Apr, 19:20, wrote:
    >
    > > Hello to all!

    > > I have the following problem: I have two Internet connections, one is
    > > just for backup and the other one is active. I want when the active
    > > one goes "down", the other one to kick in. I thought of HSRP or VRRP
    > > but this won`t solve my problem because the link never goes down ...
    > > sometimes the ISP network goes down somewhere and only the ISP network
    > > is available. I can implement a solution on a variety of routers / PIX
    > > firewalls / servers.

    > > Do you have any solutions that you think might work or are you
    > > currently using one successfully ?
    > > Please let me know

    > Look at SAA Policy based routing.
    > I think that Cisco have changed the name of it (again?).
    > Someone will be along in a minute with the new name.
    >
    > This lets you ping something and do routing depending on
    > the results.
    >
    > I think you can also influence HSRP priorities
    > based on ping or other probe results.
    >
    > This will fix outbound traffic if you are doing NAT.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080211f5c.shtml

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_route/configuration/guide/h_pbrtrk.html
    PBR Support for Multiple Tracking Options

    , Apr 15, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Apr 15, 1:20 pm, wrote:
    > Hello to all!
    >
    > I have the following problem: I have two Internet connections, one is
    > just for backup and the other one is active. I want when the active
    > one goes "down", the other one to kick in. I thought of HSRP or VRRP
    > but this won`t solve my problem because the link never goes down ...
    > sometimes the ISP network goes down somewhere and only the ISP network
    > is available. I can implement a solution on a variety of routers / PIX
    > firewalls / servers.
    >
    > Do you have any solutions that you think might work or are you
    > currently using one successfully ?
    > Please let me know
    >
    > --
    > Andrew S.

    You should be able to use EIGRP or BGP but you would have to
    coordinate your config with your provider(s). Not sure if they would
    charge extra for this... If you have static routing and have your
    hands on a Sidewinder firewall you can now configure default route
    failover..

    , Apr 15, 2008
  5. Merv Guest

    Merv, Apr 15, 2008