    Buckingham Palace, anybody know?
    The name was mentioned on USA tv last night.
    Thanks.

    JonC, Oct 30, 2007

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 30, 2007

  3. JonC

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:01:39 -0000, "JonC"
    <> wrote:

    >What is the name of the "junior" royal invloved in the new sex scandal at
    >Buckingham Palace, anybody know?
    >The name was mentioned on USA tv last night.
    >Thanks.

    While it's fun to read the Brit tabloid websites, the royals make me
    glad to be a citizen of a republic. Why ain't the Canadians and the
    Aussies dumped them yet or are they a source of innocent merriment
    merriment? I suppose they're mostly harmless - a few weeks ago the
    Canadians had the speech from the throne and the Governor General, who
    plays Queen in Ottawa because they can't get Helen Mirren, tamely read
    whatever speech the PM's speechwriters had written for her.

    Still, some decades ago the Aussie Governor General dismissed the
    Labour PM when he couldn't get his budget past the upper house of
    Parliament and there are some people who feel that had not Edward VIII
    abdicated he might have replaced Neville Chamberlain with Lord Halifax
    who might have dealt with Hitler rather than keeping up the fight like
    George VI's choice, Churchill.

    Of course, our clown actually has power and, arguably, he partly
    inherited the office from his old man.

    Tester, Oct 30, 2007
  4. JonC

    JonC Guest

    "JonC" <> wrote in message
    > What is the name of the "junior" royal invloved in the new sex scandal at
    > Buckingham Palace, anybody know?
    > The name was mentioned on USA tv last night.
    > Thanks.

    Well blow me!!! Thanks a lot.

    JonC, Oct 31, 2007
  5. JonC

    chuckcar Guest

    Tester <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:01:39 -0000, "JonC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What is the name of the "junior" royal invloved in the new sex scandal
    >>at Buckingham Palace, anybody know?
    >>The name was mentioned on USA tv last night.
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > While it's fun to read the Brit tabloid websites, the royals make me
    > glad to be a citizen of a republic. Why ain't the Canadians and the
    > Aussies dumped them yet or are they a source of innocent merriment
    > merriment? I suppose they're mostly harmless - a few weeks ago the
    > Canadians had the speech from the throne and the Governor General, who
    > plays Queen in Ottawa because they can't get Helen Mirren, tamely read
    > whatever speech the PM's speechwriters had written for her.

    Unlike your presidents, Who *all* write their own speeches.

    > Still, some decades ago the Aussie Governor General dismissed the
    > Labour PM when he couldn't get his budget past the upper house of
    > Parliament and there are some people who feel that had not Edward VIII
    > abdicated he might have replaced Neville Chamberlain with Lord Halifax
    > who might have dealt with Hitler rather than keeping up the fight like
    > George VI's choice, Churchill.

    As opposed to just ignoring the war until they got bombed like you yanks
    did.

    > Of course, our clown actually has power and, arguably, he partly
    > inherited the office from his old man.

    Now *theres* the understatement of the century. He was *given* the job
    by his father and brother (the later of who fixed the Florida vote for
    him), because he was incompetent at everything else and an alcoholic and
    coke addict to boot.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 31, 2007
  6. JonC

    Tester Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:07:03 -0500, chuckcar <> wrote:

    >>I suppose they're mostly harmless - a few weeks ago the
    >> Canadians had the speech from the throne and the Governor General, who
    >> plays Queen in Ottawa because they can't get Helen Mirren, tamely read
    >> whatever speech the PM's speechwriters had written for her.
    >>

    >Unlike your presidents, Who *all* write their own speeches.

    The point isn't that the Monarch and the Governors General don't write
    their own speeches from the throne but that they don't choose the
    opinions given in these speeches.

    The Canadian GG's speech was written by right wing Progressive
    Conservative Party speech writers and a few years ago she was giving
    speeches written by Liberal Party speech writers.

    The Monarch can even give both left wing and right wing speeches from
    the throne a few days apart by giving the speech from the throne both
    in Westminster and say Wellington. NZ. (Ordinarily the NZ speech from
    the throne would be given by the NZ GG but it could be given by a
    British monarch visiting NZ. In either case, it would be written by
    the governing party.)

    This is part of the British tradition of keeping old forms while
    defanging the realities.

    It will be interesting, should Charles ever become King, to see how he
    can voice the foolishness of his elected governments rather than his
    own.

    Tester, Nov 1, 2007
  7. JonC

    Top Guest

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:15:36 -0500, chuckcar wrote:

    > Tester <> wrote in

    >>>Unlike your presidents, Who *all* write their own speeches.

    >> The point isn't that the Monarch and the Governors General don't write
    >> their own speeches from the throne but that they don't choose the
    >> opinions given in these speeches.

    > How do *you* know that Bush *has* any opinions as opposed to having them
    > fed to him?
    >

    >> The Canadian GG's speech was written by right wing Progressive
    >> Conservative Party speech writers and a few years ago she was giving
    >> speeches written by Liberal Party speech writers.
    >>

    > Wrong. The Progressive Conservative party no longer exists (at least
    > federally). It was absorbed by an offshoot of the old Reform party into
    > what is now called the Conservative Party.
    >

    > Anyways, this is OT and your knowledge of the Canadian system at least is
    > about 2 years out of date.

    What makes it off topic?

    Top

    Top, Nov 1, 2007
  8. JonC

    chuckcar Guest

    Tester <> wrote in

    chuckcar, Nov 1, 2007
  9. JonC

    chuckcar Guest

    Top <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:15:36 -0500, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Tester <> wrote in

    >> Anyways, this is OT and your knowledge of the Canadian system at
    >> least is about 2 years out of date.

    > What makes it off topic?

    Exactly *who* is it helping?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 2, 2007
  10. JonC

    Top Guest

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:56:16 -0500, chuckcar wrote:

    > Top <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:15:36 -0500, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tester <> wrote in

    >>> Anyways, this is OT and your knowledge of the Canadian system at least
    >>> is about 2 years out of date.

    >> What makes it off topic?
    >>

    > Exactly *who* is it helping?

    Doesn't matter. Nothing has ever been off topic in this News Group. Want
    to talk about Grandad catching more fish than you, go for it. If you just
    became a grand parent and want to brag go for it. None of it is off topic
    and never should be.

    Top

    Top, Nov 2, 2007
  11. Top wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:56:16 -0500, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Top <> wrote in

    >>> What makes it off topic?
    >>>

    >> Exactly *who* is it helping?

    > Doesn't matter. Nothing has ever been off topic in this News Group. Want
    > to talk about Grandad catching more fish than you, go for it. If you just
    > became a grand parent and want to brag go for it. None of it is off topic
    > and never should be.

    Quite right. This group is open for discussions & help on *anything*.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

    William Poaster, Nov 3, 2007