    BTW what is a MAC address and should it be hid too?

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    TheStoneCrusher, Aug 19, 2007

  2. TheStoneCrusher

    Mike Easter Guest

    TheStoneCrusher wrote:

    Thanks for reverting to OE to relieve that terrible posting you were
    doing with Procomm Plus

    > I have surfed around and noted that there are at least three different
    > methods to hide your IP.

    Hiding your IP can mean many different things. In your case, your IP is
    showing in the NPH NNPT-Posting-Host line which is stamped by your news
    provider. That can be 'hidden' pretty easily by using a newsserver
    which doesn't stamp it.

    There's also the issue of your IP showing in your emails. There are
    some mail providers which don't show your IP in certain configurations.

    Then, there's the issue of your IP showing itself to the webserver when
    you access various sites as you surf. Whether you want to show that or
    not is a 'consideration'.

    You should be thinking about what you are doing and what you are trying
    to hide from whom before you start hatching any plots about how to do
    it.

    > The first I noted was to buy software and
    > it does the trick(?).

    Free or pay software or services just enable you to do things one way or
    another. There's always a business which wants to sell something.
    Whether you should buy it or just get educated is another matter.
    There's a lot of privacy information available. I think it would be
    smarter to learn something than to buy something.

    > The second is to hook to some proxy network
    > and it does the trick(?). The third is the one I missed . . .

    Figure out what it is that you are trying to do and why you are trying
    to do it. You might be able to accomplish it very easily.

    > Is there such a thing as 'the best' method, or would someone highly
    > recommend a method or software.

    The best way to do something depends on just what it is exactly you are
    trying to do.

    > BTW what is a MAC address and should it be hid too?

    The wiki's writeup on the MAC is pretty good
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address Media Access Control
    address -- a quasi-unique identifier attached to most network adapters

    The MAC is useful to your router and your computer and your LAN, but it
    isn't going to be 'exposed' to the internet unless you really screw up
    your security.

    Speaking of security, what have you done about your router's wireless
    insecurity?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2007

  3. TheStoneCrusher

    TJ Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in

    > I have surfed around and noted that there are at least three different
    > methods to hide your IP. The first I noted was to buy software and it
    > does the trick(?). The second is to hook to some proxy network and it
    > does the trick(?). The third is the one I missed . . .
    >
    > Is there such a thing as 'the best' method, or would someone highly
    > recommend a method or software.

    Why bother? As long as your machine/network is properly secured there's no
    need to hide your IP from anyone. Hell. Mine's visable in the headers of
    this post. Take a look. There. Now ya have it. Now what are ya gonna do
    with it?

    > BTW what is a MAC address and should it be hid too?

    Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 139,000,000 for MAC address. (0.07
    seconds)

    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Oh shit. You're the same dude who was asking about IP's using a different
    nym aren't you?

    On the upside, at least ya got the whole posting thing kinda sorted out.

    TJ, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Mike Easter wrote:
    > TheStoneCrusher wrote: X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
    > 6.00.2900.2180
    >
    > Thanks for reverting to OE to relieve that terrible posting you were
    > doing with Procomm Plus

    Gotta be a setting. No news client can be that inherently dumb. If it
    were possible, OE and TB would be doing it. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2007
  5. TheStoneCrusher

    Vanguard Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" wrote in message
    > I have surfed around and noted that there are at least three
    > different methods to hide your IP.

    > The first I noted was to buy software and it does the trick(?).

    No. The host to which you connect will still know your IP address.
    Is there a reason why you deliberately omitted the name of this
    "software"? There are products that go out to a database of proxies
    and will connect you through them. They can even be configured to go
    through 1 or multiple proxies. They may even provide for separation
    in their database between non-SSL and SSL proxies (to hide the content
    of your traffic although the host to which you connect can still get
    the content from you and the last proxy that connects to the target
    host can see the content returned from that host) but the assumption
    is each proxy between also uses SSL. Each proxy, even just one of
    them, will slow you down; i.e., you'll see slower response. They will
    also make your connection more unreliable.

    > The second is to hook to some proxy network and it does the
    > trick(?).

    The software above simply uses the proxies you mention here. Many
    proxies only support a few protocols, maybe just HTTP. So forget
    about using SSL (HTTPS) to get to your bank or to a secured site, or
    using FTP through that proxy.

    > The third is the one I missed . . .

    So why did you say there were 3 methods when you don't know there is a
    3rd one?

    > Is there such a thing as 'the best' method, or would someone highly
    > recommend a method or software.

    Extremely few users need to be using proxies. Those that do, like
    whistleblowers, pedophiles, spammers, scammers and phishers, TOS
    violators, and malcontents, need to be using at least a chain of 3
    proxies. Since the owners/operators of the proxies are unknown, you
    don't know what they are doing with your navigation history and
    content.

    > BTW what is a MAC address and should it be hid too?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

    Can be changed using Windows for the NIC properties in Device Manager.
    Of no value unless you have another host on your own network with the
    same MAC address. Of no value if you are connected to the Internet
    through a router since the WAN-side IP address of the router is what
    the target host sees.

    Vanguard, Aug 20, 2007
  6. TheStoneCrusher

    Rectum Burn Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> said in

    > I have surfed around and noted that there are at least three different
    > methods to hide your IP. The first I noted was to buy software and it
    > does the trick(?). The second is to hook to some proxy network and it
    > does the trick(?). The third is the one I missed . . .

    There are plenty of tricks, but I ain't telling you. Go hang amongst the
    surly, unwashed masses at alt.hackers.malicious or alt.2600.

    > Is there such a thing as 'the best' method, or would someone highly
    > recommend a method or software.
    >
    > BTW what is a MAC address and should it be hid too?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

    http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=machine address&i=
    46437,00.asp

    Each ethernet card has a unique, embedded address that cen be read both on
    yor PC and on the Internet.

    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    So, Luke, what kind of deviltry are you up to that you need to hide your IP
    address? Are you trying to become some kind of 133t |-|/-\ ><0r?

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Aug 20, 2007
  7. TheStoneCrusher

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:41:25 -0500, "Vanguard" <>
    wrote:

    >"TheStoneCrusher" wrote in message
    >> I have surfed around and noted that there are at least three
    >> different methods to hide your IP.

    There are different levels of privacy.

    The least secure are web proxies (like http://www.hideyourass.com).
    These are convenient and free and great for hiding your IP address
    from your ex. The disadvantage is that the web proxy's logs can be
    subpoenaed by lawyers. So if you are going to slag off the Church of
    Scientology, it is not right for you.

    The next level of security are privacy companies (like
    http://www.cotse.com). They also keep logs (Cotse keeps logs for a
    week) and can be got at by lawyers. More reliable than web proxies,
    they usually offer more services such as secure channels.

    More secure again are services like JAP. Slower but probably
    secure from the Church of Scientology. They are not secure from
    government. JAP has already shown they they are willing to hand over
    information to the German government.

    Next come onion routers like TOR (http://tor.eff.org). On the whole
    slower than JAP but much more diversified so harder for governments to
    trace. They are the current technology in security, and probably
    secure enough to send out a bomb threat without it being traceable
    back to you.

    Next come remailers. They are older and slower than the onion routers.
    Remailers do their very best to strip any identifying information
    about you. They are a proven technology. There have been bomb threats
    sent via remailers and the criminals have never been traced. They are
    not real time so expect a day or more before your email is delivered.

    None of them will sell you software without giving you a service.
    If anyone is selling you software without a servce then they are
    fuckwits. (The possible exception for buying software is sockschain.
    You are jolly naughty and if your ISP catches you uses you using
    sockschain they'll get batey and probably do all sorts of things.)

    Nomen Nescio, Aug 20, 2007