    If so which program can people recommend?
    Is there any that are free or shareware?
    Cheers in advance
    T, Jan 5, 2006

  2. T

    Plato Guest

    T wrote:

    > Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net. Some will
    > think this is stupid, probably is but.
    > Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
    > Do any of them work?
    > If so which program can people recommend?
    > Is there any that are free or shareware?

    My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
    room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
    it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not worth
    the effort.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 5, 2006

  3. T

    Mike Easter Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > T wrote:
    >>
    >> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net.
    >> Some will think this is stupid, probably is but.
    >> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
    >> Do any of them work?
    >> If so which program can people recommend?
    >> Is there any that are free or shareware?

    > My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
    > room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
    > it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
    > worth the effort.

    Depending on one's basis for wanting to use a proxy, a 'bad' proxy is
    worse than no proxy -- certainly much worse than a good or healthy proxy
    or 'legitimate' proxy.

    Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
    revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
    'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

    Thugs and other obnoxious or abusive personalities get thrown out of
    meatspace bars, too. Thank goodness.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2006
  4. T

    T Guest

    Cheers.
    Not sure what a proxy server is or how it works etc?
    But like the sound of a "program" that says it does the same thing (I
    think), but are any worth it?

    T, Jan 6, 2006
  5. T

    Mike Easter Guest

    T wrote:

    > Not sure what a proxy server is or how it works etc?

    There are all kinds of proxies. This thread, yours, started out about
    privacy issues.

    > But like the sound of a "program" that says it does the same thing (I
    > think), but are any worth it?

    I don't know about the 'sound' of a 'program' because you haven't
    expressed yourself very well yet. Here's where we started, which is
    getting a little upside down with your topposting.

    What exactly does that mean? That is, when you surf the net 'normally'
    you are exposing your IP address and a number of other things about your
    browser and its configuration . And/but your greatest 'insecurity' has
    to do with your browser's insecurity, not the exposure of your IP. That
    is, your browser's insecurity exposes you to exploits of your system.
    Those exploits endanger your 'privacy' more than does the exposure of
    the IP. You need to get your securities and insecurities properly
    prioritized.

    What 'programs' do you have in mind that caused you to say...

    Services which sell various flavors of privacy, have these things to say
    about how web proxies work

    http://www.cotse.net/basics-webproxies.html Overview of Web Proxies

    Cotse is a service that assumes that you know a little bit about what
    you are doing -- so maybe you should try to explain why it is that you
    think you need some kind of 'hiding your ip address' when you are
    surfing the net. If you are visiting sites which cause you concern that
    your IP address is known to them, let's just say pr0n or porn sites for
    sake of the argument, you should especially be aware that such sites are
    the most notorious for exploiting insecurity vulnerabilities of your
    browser.

    Your browser's insecurities aren't rendered secure by a proxy.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2006
  6. T

    T Guest

    What I'm trying to say is:
    The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for me then
    having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program option sounds
    easier as i am not that well talented on the computer front, which the proxy
    server option sounds complicated!

    T, Jan 6, 2006
  7. T

    Plato Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > > My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
    > > room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
    > > it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
    > > worth the effort.

    > Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
    > revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
    > 'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

    Well, yeah, there's a good chance that's what happened. I dont consider
    it an issue tho. Let him learn the hard way.

    Plato, Jan 6, 2006
  8. T

    Plato Guest

    T wrote:

    > What I'm trying to say is:
    > The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for me then
    > having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program option sounds

    I honestly dont know if what you want to do is possible.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 6, 2006
  9. T

    John Holmes Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > I honestly dont know if what you want to do is possible.

    You are just a clueless lunatic then, eh?
    STFU, you fucking clueless ****.
    --
    Your mother was a languid cafeteria lady who used to eat crackers in a
    morgue.
    John Holmes, Jan 6, 2006
  10. T

    Rob Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:06:09 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Plato wrote:
    >> T wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Getting paranoid, about hacks,spying etc whilst surfing the net.
    >>> Some will think this is stupid, probably is but.
    >>> Searched for programs etc that hide your ip address,
    >>> Do any of them work?
    >>> If so which program can people recommend?
    >>> Is there any that are free or shareware?

    >> My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
    >> room. I told him to look for a free proxy service and he found one and
    >> it worked. Trouble is, it slows everything down and is really not
    >> worth the effort.

    >Depending on one's basis for wanting to use a proxy, a 'bad' proxy is
    >worse than no proxy -- certainly much worse than a good or healthy proxy
    >or 'legitimate' proxy.
    >
    >Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
    >revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
    >'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.

    Mike, that's not always the case. I almost never used a chat room and
    recently decided to. In one chat room, I just entered and waited
    about 2 minutes to observe the kinda discussion that would take place
    because I saw no activity at that time and then all of a sudden I got
    a window that said I was banned. I never said a word in that chat
    room. I asked my teenage daughter why I got banned and she said
    because I did not participate in chatting which I thought was odd. I
    guess that will just add to my dislikes for visiting chat rooms in the
    future.
    Rob, Jan 6, 2006
  11. "T" <> wrote in

    > The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for
    > me then having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program
    > option sounds easier as i am not that well talented on the
    > computer front, which the proxy server option sounds complicated!

    The purpose of an IP address is to route packets back to your computer
    so that you can communicate. You simply cannot hide your IP address
    and expect to communicate over the internet.

    The closest you can come legitimately is to use a proxy server. This
    is like sending a letter to your relative across town who, when he
    receives the letter, unwraps it and puts it in another envelope to the
    real destination then sends it on. Replies come back to him whereby he
    will unwrap them and re-wrap them with your address on it and send it
    back to you. Nobody looking at the network near your home will be
    fooled and whomever runs the proxy server is privy to everything you do
    including your IP address.

    To really hide your IP address, jump in your car with a laptop and WiFi
    card and drive slowly down the street until you find a parking spot
    near a home or business with a WiFi network that is unsecured and tap
    in. (not recommended)

    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Jan 6, 2006
  12. T

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Plato wrote:

    >>> My son asked me the same the other day as he was banned from a chat
    >>> room.

    >> Getting banned from a chat room sounds like he needs to re-examine or
    >> revise some of his online behaviors -- maybe if he improved his
    >> 'persona' he wouldn't need a proxy at all.
    >>

    > Mike, that's not always the case. I almost never used a chat room and
    > recently decided to. In one chat room, I just entered and waited
    > about 2 minutes to observe the kinda discussion that would take place
    > because I saw no activity at that time and then all of a sudden I got
    > a window that said I was banned. I never said a word in that chat
    > room. I asked my teenage daughter why I got banned and she said
    > because I did not participate in chatting which I thought was odd. I
    > guess that will just add to my dislikes for visiting chat rooms in the
    > future.

    I don't do chat - but what I said to Plato about his son's experience
    would be different than what I think about your story.

    I would say your experience was the result of the effect of a 'stranger'
    in the room, whatever kind of room that was, with whatever kind of
    handle you were using, who was just 'lurking' there for several minutes.

    So, the moderator took a 'look at you' and booted you.

    Lotsa things go on in different kinds of chat environments.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 6, 2006
  13. T

    dogsBollix Guest

    John Wunderlich <> wrote in

    > "T" <> wrote in
    >
    >> The thought of a program hiding my address etc sounds better for
    >> me then having a proxy server, the reason for this is the program
    >> option sounds easier as i am not that well talented on the
    >> computer front, which the proxy server option sounds complicated!
    >>

    > The purpose of an IP address is to route packets back to your computer
    > so that you can communicate. You simply cannot hide your IP address
    > and expect to communicate over the internet.
    >
    > The closest you can come legitimately is to use a proxy server. This
    > is like sending a letter to your relative across town who, when he
    > receives the letter, unwraps it and puts it in another envelope to the
    > real destination then sends it on. Replies come back to him whereby he
    > will unwrap them and re-wrap them with your address on it and send it
    > back to you. Nobody looking at the network near your home will be
    > fooled and whomever runs the proxy server is privy to everything you do
    > including your IP address.
    >
    > To really hide your IP address, jump in your car with a laptop and WiFi
    > card and drive slowly down the street until you find a parking spot
    > near a home or business with a WiFi network that is unsecured and tap
    > in. (not recommended)
    >
    > -- John

    oh and keep your trousers on else you'll have some explaining to do to the
    police :)

    dB
    dogsBollix, Jan 6, 2006