    available this can be used in some manner
    Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind that.
    All constructive suggestions welcome

    belto, Apr 19, 2005

  2. belto

    trout Guest

    belto wrote:

    > What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all the
    > associated problems .
    > I think I read some time ago that it is possible if there is an old PC
    > available this can be used in some manner
    > Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind that.
    > All constructive suggestions welcome

    Are you interested more about 'going out' in stealth mode, or
    protecting yourself from intrusion?
    --
    Both?

    trout, Apr 19, 2005

  3. belto

    #! Guest

    belto wrote:

    > What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all the
    > associated problems .

    The big button on the front of your box?, hold it in for 4 seconds.

    > I think I read some time ago that it is possible if there is an old PC
    > available this can be used in some manner

    Google for "Internet Connection Sharing" or ICS

    > Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind that.
    > All constructive suggestions welcome

    Old PC with ICS, or router. whichever is cheaper.

    --
    #!
    I hate to see you go, but I LOVE to watch you leave.

    #!, Apr 19, 2005
  4. belto

    knacker Guest

    don't have it on the net

    knacker, Apr 19, 2005
  5. belto

    belto Guest

    Interested in protection from intrusion

    belto, Apr 19, 2005
  6. belto

    trout Guest

    belto wrote:

    > Interested in protection from intrusion

    Should be easy, enough, then. The basic software firewalls are
    pretty good at making you 'invisible' to probing attempts; starting with
    the basic 'set it and forget it types', to the somewhat more
    highly-configurable.
    For better security, being behind a hardware firewall is often
    recommended. I've seen those references, too, about using an old, extra
    computer for this, but I'll leave that to others, more expert, to
    elaborate on.
    Using a router, configured properly, could give you comparable
    protection.
    --
    But that's about as much as I know, so I'll shut up, now.

    trout, Apr 19, 2005
  7. belto

    philo Guest

    belto wrote:
    > What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all the
    > associated problems .
    > I think I read some time ago that it is possible if there is an old PC
    > available this can be used in some manner
    > Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind that.
    > All constructive suggestions welcome

    even though you could take a 486 and put linux on it...
    then use it as a router (which i once thought about doing).
    i did a quick calculation and determined that even if i had to go out
    any buy a new router...
    in the long run it would be cheaper...due to a 486 drawing more power
    than a router

    but really, all you need is a firewall such as zone alarm...
    they have a free version that works fine

    philo, Apr 19, 2005
  8. On 19 Apr 2005, belto scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all
    > the associated problems .
    > I think I read some time ago that it is possible if there is an
    > old PC available this can be used in some manner
    > Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind
    > that. All constructive suggestions welcome

    The only *sure* method is not to connect in the first place.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 19, 2005
  9. belto

    elaich Guest

    philo <> wrote in news::

    > but really, all you need is a firewall such as zone alarm...
    > they have a free version that works fine

    Not true. Software firewalls can be compromised by Trojans, viruses, and
    determined hackers. Without good computing practice, they are nothing but a
    bandaid.

    And if I was going to recommend one, Zone Alarm would the last one on my
    list.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"

    elaich, Apr 19, 2005
  10. belto

    philo Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > philo <> wrote in
    >
    >> but really, all you need is a firewall such as zone alarm...
    >> they have a free version that works fine

    > Not true. Software firewalls can be compromised by Trojans, viruses, and
    > determined hackers. Without good computing practice, they are nothing but
    > bandaid.
    >
    > And if I was going to recommend one, Zone Alarm would the last one on my
    > list.

    of course common sense is the best "firewall"
    your advice, no matter how well intentioned is useless
    without suggesting a better fire wall than zone alarm.
    I've been using it for years without a problem...
    and it's free!

    philo, Apr 19, 2005
  11. belto

    THEOLDONE Guest

    If U want ur PC to be invisable. get a Hardware Firewall..

    Friend has Watchgard and says , whatever comes thru the cable must pass
    thru the firewall B4 getting to his PC. He runs Spinrite to see if spinrite
    can find him. It comes up nil

    hth

    THEOLDONE, Apr 19, 2005
  12. THEOLDONE wrote:

    > If U want ur PC to be invisable. get a Hardware Firewall..
    >
    > Friend has Watchgard and says , whatever comes thru the cable must pass
    > thru the firewall B4 getting to his PC. He runs Spinrite to see if spinrite
    > can find him. It comes up nil

    For the sake of accuracy, I think you are referring to Shields Up. It's
    by the same guy as Spinrite, but Shields Up tests you computer for open
    ports.
    http://www.grc.com/
    I run ZoneAlarm (no hardware firewall) and all ports are stealthed on
    Shields Up.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 19, 2005
  13. belto

    JANA Guest

    You should be using a good firewall, and have a good up to date virus
    scanner. Then you should be okay.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 19, 2005
  14. belto

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:42:23 +1000, knacker <>
    wrote:

    >don't have it on the net

    Don't have what on the net?

    Evan Platt, Apr 19, 2005
  15. belto

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:02:37 -0500, "THEOLDONE"
    <> wrote:

    >If U want ur PC to be invisable. get a Hardware Firewall..

    A hardware firewall doesn't automatically make your pc 'invisable'.

    >Friend has Watchgard and says , whatever comes thru the cable must pass
    >thru the firewall B4 getting to his PC.

    True.

    >He runs Spinrite to see if spinrite
    >can find him. It comes up nil

    Spinrite is a hard drive utility. I'm confused.

    Evan Platt, Apr 19, 2005
  16. belto

    Gazwad Guest

    #!, <nospam@****--you.com>, the gruesome, hogged fustilarian, and vagrant
    who regulates the workings of the watermeadows, decried:

    > belto wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all
    >> the associated problems .

    > The big button on the front of your box?, hold it in for 4 seconds.

    She'll get a better orgasm if she gets someone to lick it.

    HTH

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Sizzled roadkill snot with anus vinaigrette smothered in microwaved gnats,
    arranged in a congealing double boiler filled with home-grown morsels of
    garlic, corn and cabbage in melted cheese, a side of grains and a can of
    gerbil ulcer broth.

    Gazwad, Apr 19, 2005
  17. belto

    Parko Guest

    belto wrote:
    > What is the best method of hiding the PC from the internet and all the
    > associated problems .
    > I think I read some time ago that it is possible if there is an old PC
    > available this can be used in some manner
    > Or Is it wise to invest in a router and let the PC sit behind that.
    > All constructive suggestions welcome

    Wrap your peepers about some of this, in no particular order.
    http://www.firewallguide.com/faq.htm
    http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/
    http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html
    Whatever takes your fancy.
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Apr 19, 2005
  18. belto

    belto Guest

    Thankyou all for the constructive comments
    I have plenty to thinkabout including my lost icons

    regards

    belto, Apr 19, 2005
  19. belto

    knacker Guest

    the combination to the safe,
    What do you reckon? the computer
    if its not on the net it can be attacked from the net
    can it?

    knacker, Apr 20, 2005
  20. belto

    #! Guest

    Whay the **** are you telling me, you fucking **** bubble?

    --
    #!
    I hate to see you go, but I LOVE to watch you leave.

    #!, Apr 20, 2005