    properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in replies from
    some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make sure my name isn't
    visible?Thanks for your help!
    cd69, May 28, 2005

  2. cd69 wrote:
    > Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I look under
    > properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in replies from
    > some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make sure my name isn't
    > visible?Thanks for your help!

    Change it in settings.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 28, 2005

  3. cd69

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, cd69 mused:

    | Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
    | look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
    | showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
    | do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

    If they have your name associated with your email address in *their*
    address book, there is nothing you can do. Everytime they use your
    address, their software will stamp your name with it.
    mhicaoidh, May 28, 2005
  4. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    No,this is random.I received a few e-mails from different people and saw my
    name in the text next to my nic.I don't see it in all e-mail headers but
    seen it in a few and in some cases they didn't know my name.

    cd69, May 28, 2005
  5. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Will try that but I was under the impression I had taken care of this
    already.Thanks all for the info!

    cd69, May 28, 2005
  6. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Where do you find Settings in OE?Do you mean in properties?If so,I haven't
    seen my name showing anywhere yet.Thanks!

    cd69, May 28, 2005
  7. cd69

    Mike Easter Guest

    cd69 wrote:
    > Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
    > look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
    > showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
    > do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

    I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.

    You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you send
    that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab [select
    appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address section --
    does or does not contain address1?

    When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
    address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
    putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or, are
    you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good email
    addy?

    And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of whether
    you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to be dealt
    with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've described
    above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 28, 2005
  8. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Hi Mike!Sorry for the confusion!I have entered my handle,ie cd69 everywhere
    in the account info.My real name doesn't appear anywhere.But lately,I have
    received a few replies to e-mails I sent and saw my name next to my handle
    in the headers.I hope this clears what I meant.Thanks!

    cd69, May 29, 2005
  9. cd69

    Mike Easter Guest

    cd69 wrote:
    > Hi Mike!Sorry for the confusion!I have entered my handle,ie cd69
    > everywhere in the account info.

    'Everywhere in the account info' goes a handle cd69 you say. To me,
    that means one place where the account sez 'Name' you would put cd69,
    but then down below there where it sez 'Email address' you would put
    your correct email address without any NOSPAM mungeing. Or, I suppose
    you /could/ leave/configure NOSPAM mungeing also in your mail account,
    but that would be all the more reason for a respondent to behave as
    described below.

    > My real name doesn't appear
    > anywhere.But lately,I have received a few replies to e-mails I sent
    > and saw my name next to my handle in the headers.

    If I get an email from my friend Clyde Barrow who is in my addressbook
    and who is calling himself cd69 in his email's From header and I reply
    to him, the 'automation' puts his configured nym/handle in the To. But,
    if I've configured /my/ entry of him and his nym/handle/name in my
    addressbook as Clyde Barrow and I prefer to email/ reply to/ him like
    that, then during my editing of my reply I can click on the 'automated'
    To, remove the one that was automatically put there, and click the one I
    like/know into its place.

    Then, even tho' he emailed me as cd69, my mail to him would come back to
    him addressed in the To as Clyde Barrow.

    I most certainly would replace his From/To with my own To if he had
    obfuscated his From with NOSPAM so I wouldn't have to edit his NOSPAM
    mungeing out.

    > I hope this clears
    > what I meant.Thanks!

    I still feel like I'm guessing.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 29, 2005
  10. cd69

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > cd69 wrote:
    >> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
    >> look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
    >> showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
    >> do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

    > I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.
    >
    > You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you
    > send that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab
    > [select appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address
    > section -- does or does not contain address1?
    >
    > When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
    > address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
    > putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or,
    > are you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good
    > email addy?
    >
    > And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of
    > whether you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to
    > be dealt with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've
    > described above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.

    He wants to be a spammer.

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, May 29, 2005
  11. cd69

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > cd69 wrote:
    >> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
    >> look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
    >> showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
    >> do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

    > I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.
    >
    > You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you
    > send that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab
    > [select appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address
    > section -- does or does not contain address1?
    >
    > When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
    > address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
    > putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or,
    > are you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good
    > email addy?
    >
    > And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of
    > whether you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to
    > be dealt with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've
    > described above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.

    I don't believe it can be done .

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, May 29, 2005
  12. cd69

    Mike Easter Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > I don't believe it can be done .

    'splain to me how you understand what he's trying to do, por favor.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 29, 2005
  13. cd69

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > ellis_jay wrote:
    >> I don't believe it can be done .

    > 'splain to me how you understand what he's trying to do, por favor.

    I think he is trying to munge his email identity in his POP3 account in
    OE6. Usenet, ok, but for regular email-for personal stuff, as with friends
    and the like, why would one do that? I am not sure my ISP would allow it,
    or could allow it. But, I could be wrong. When I had Bellsouth dialup I
    just could not get email through if it was munged. Maybe the fault was
    mine. But with my new cable server now, I have not tried munging email,
    and I only munge for usenet postings. For on-line registrations or the
    like I use a hotmail account.

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, May 29, 2005
  14. ellis_jay wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >>ellis_jay wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't believe it can be done .

    >>'splain to me how you understand what he's trying to do, por favor.

    > I think he is trying to munge his email identity in his POP3 account in
    > OE6. Usenet, ok, but for regular email-for personal stuff, as with friends
    > and the like, why would one do that? I am not sure my ISP would allow it,
    > or could allow it. But, I could be wrong. When I had Bellsouth dialup I
    > just could not get email through if it was munged. Maybe the fault was
    > mine. But with my new cable server now, I have not tried munging email,
    > and I only munge for usenet postings. For on-line registrations or the
    > like I use a hotmail account.

    No, he doesn't want anyone to see his real name.
    He just needs to change it under settings.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 29, 2005
  15. cd69

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > No, he doesn't want anyone to see his real name.
    > He just needs to change it under settings.

    Settings?

    So you think that he's willing to have them receive his addy but doesn't
    understand how they get his 'real name' instead of the handle he puts in
    the 'Name' section of the OE mail account? He knows how to configure
    the name and address for the news account.

    cd69 wrote:
    > I see my real name is
    > showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.

    Then, maybe this post is correct
    news:429919da$0$46344$ in which I
    posit that the replying recipient removes his/the automated 'handled'
    cd69 reply To: and clicks in the real name handle + addy.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 30, 2005
  16. cd69

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mike Easter mused:

    | Then, maybe this post is correct
    | news:429919da$0$46344$ in which
    | I posit that the replying recipient removes his/the automated
    | 'handled' cd69 reply To: and clicks in the real name handle + addy.

    Except he claims that this has happened with people to whom he has
    not given his name to. So, they wouldn't know it. I suspect he's
    missed something ... somewhere. ;-)
    mhicaoidh, May 30, 2005