hide and encrypt

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Teeny & Allen, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. I am looking for a program which will work in a windows environment that
    will hide and encrypt directorys in win xp.

    Teeny & Allen, Aug 23, 2005

  2. found one, thanks.

    Teeny & Allen, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Teeny & Allen

    Notan Guest

    Teeny & Allen wrote:

    > found one, thanks.
    >
    > <snip>

    What'd you find?

    I've been using Encrypted Magic Folders (http://www.pc-magic.com/des.htm#emf),
    for years, and have been more than satisfied with its performance.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Teeny & Allen

    Flyn Guest

    Flyn, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Teeny & Allen

    Winged Guest

    Teeny & Allen wrote:
    > I am looking for a program which will work in a windows environment that
    > will hide and encrypt directorys in win xp.

    You could always just use XP. Depends on the level of security desired.
    If you have admin control using just use XP to hide the files and
    directories. If you are a user you can reasonably hide files and
    folders from an administrator if you have directories that you are the
    owner of. Bear in mind if you use this method you should examine file
    backup and recovery issues and test backup methodologies. Most admins
    allow users full control of certain directory paths.

    Winged

    NOTE: Below is warning if you are not box owner (company owned/managed).

    As an admin or security manager: If a client PC were to all of a sudden
    to have a disk shortage, for example: hiding 578 music MP3 files in a
    directory (long story) because company policy prohibited the on the
    files on PC clients and I noticed your system had a strange disk free
    space shortage, you might get a system administrator interested enough
    to look, and they could get in. If the SA couldn't get in they would
    call the securitymanager. I have seen few tools that I couldn't figure
    out how to get into, if one wanted to bad enough, from a security
    perspective. I work very closely with admins, even had some incidents
    where administrators themselves were relived of their duties. It might
    require a new "service" or other method, but for security managers
    patience is a virtue.

    Typically a security manager will have already collected what was needed
    long before a user is aware was aware someone was looking. If the
    manager finds nothing, the user would never know they were looked at. A
    network manager "might" visually observe activity remotely and record it
    for posterity. This could be on a x-station or winX box.

    I have reports (for example) that are generated once a client PC has
    used more HDD space than a certain percentage, as well as another report
    where drive free space is reduced a certain percentage in between report
    times. These reports are useful in identifying not only of potential
    security issues but may also indicate pending hardware failure. We do
    this not only for users but servers as well albeit different things
    "may" be reported. Additionally some directories may be tripwired for
    special handling depending on event, this is often good for
    automatically recording activity or paging security manager etc. Most
    properly managed networks have a number of computer activities that
    might raise flags. You would be amazed what one can monitor with just
    SMS not to mention "other" auditing possibilities.

    I share the above, to ensure you understand that it is "your" machine we
    are referring to and not one "owned" by the company or someone else. I
    have had several users and admins through the years, use several very
    fine encryption products who thought they were totally safe, who are now
    gainfully unemployed. Cracking was not required.

    Winged

    Winged, Aug 24, 2005