Hidden Windows XP photo image-transfer wizard

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ellen Spelling, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Q: How do I MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    or
    Q: How do I set up WinXP so that photo copying wizard pops up
    AUTOMATICALLY (when I insert a full flashcard adapter into
    the laptop PCMCIA slot?

    In the past ...
    Windows XP used to automatically ask what do do with my digital photos
    as soon as I inserted the PCMCIA flashcard compact flash adapter containing
    a SanDisk 256MB CompactFlash card with new digital photos or 1-minute
    movies taken by the Nikon CoolPix camera.

    a) In the past ...
    If there were new photos on the card, a wonderful magical WindowsXP
    photo-transfer wizard popped up asking what I wished to do with the
    data (which was typically to transfer them, renamed, to my pictures
    directory and then to delete the photos & movies from the Sandisk
    compact flash card).

    b) Now that wizard is gone (I'm absolutely sure it's something I turned
    off by accident somewhere somehow ... but what?). Nothing happens now
    (except a beep or two) when I insert the compactflash adapter into the
    WindowsXP PCMCIA slot.

    I don't wish to go back to tethering the camera to the laptop PC;
    I just want the original WindowsXP photo copying wizard back.

    QUESTION:
    Q: What's the secret of MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    or
    Q: What makes the photo copying wizard pop up AUTOMATICALLY
    (when I insert a compactflash flashcard adapter into the PCMCIA slot)?

    Ellen

    Ellen Spelling, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Ellen Spelling

    daytripper Guest

    On 21 Apr 2004 18:03:40 -0700, (Ellen Spelling) wrote:

    >Q: How do I MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    > or
    >Q: How do I set up WinXP so that photo copying wizard pops up
    > AUTOMATICALLY (when I insert a full flashcard adapter into
    > the laptop PCMCIA slot?
    >
    >In the past ...
    >Windows XP used to automatically ask what do do with my digital photos
    >as soon as I inserted the PCMCIA flashcard compact flash adapter containing
    >a SanDisk 256MB CompactFlash card with new digital photos or 1-minute
    >movies taken by the Nikon CoolPix camera.
    >
    > a) In the past ...
    > If there were new photos on the card, a wonderful magical WindowsXP
    > photo-transfer wizard popped up asking what I wished to do with the
    > data (which was typically to transfer them, renamed, to my pictures
    > directory and then to delete the photos & movies from the Sandisk
    > compact flash card).
    >
    > b) Now that wizard is gone (I'm absolutely sure it's something I turned
    > off by accident somewhere somehow ... but what?). Nothing happens now
    > (except a beep or two) when I insert the compactflash adapter into the
    > WindowsXP PCMCIA slot.
    >
    >I don't wish to go back to tethering the camera to the laptop PC;
    >I just want the original WindowsXP photo copying wizard back.
    >
    >QUESTION:
    >Q: What's the secret of MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    > or
    >Q: What makes the photo copying wizard pop up AUTOMATICALLY
    > (when I insert a compactflash flashcard adapter into the PCMCIA slot)?
    >
    >Ellen

    - Open Windows Explorer, find the card reader and right click on it.
    - Select the AutoPlay property sheet
    - Turn on "Prompt Me Each Time To Choose An Option"

    The next time you load a card into the reader the pop-up will magically
    appear.

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Ellen Spelling

    Yves Alarie Guest

    Several ways to download your pictures.

    Before you connect your camera to your computer, make sure you have enough
    battery power or better yet use your AC connector if your camera came with
    one. After connecting, power the camera and wait about 15-20 seconds for XP
    to recognize the camera, you will hear some sound "ding-dong" and the LCD
    screen on your camera will change (the change is dependent on the type of
    camera you have) and you are now ready to transfer, even if the Autoplay
    window does not open automatically. If you do not hear a sound or the LCD
    screen of your camera does not change, the connection with the USB port is
    not correct. Go to the bottom of these directions to repair the USB
    connection.

    After you hear the sound:

    1. Open My Computer, look under devices with removable storage. Your camera
    will be listed there as an external drive (probably below your CD drive).
    Right click on your camera listed as an external drive. A menu will open,
    click on Autoplay listed on the opening menu. This should open the Autoplay
    window to download your photos the same way as when the Autoplay window
    opens automatically when you connect your camera.

    Or

    2. Open My Computer, look under devices with removable storage. Your camera
    will be listed there as an external drive (probably below your CD drive).
    Double click on it to open it.
    You will see a folder, double click to open it, then another folder, double
    click on it to open it and you will see the list of photo files. Select all
    files
    and copy to a folder on your hard drive. To select all the files, hold the
    Ctrl key down and press the letter A. Or, click on Edit on your top bar and
    then click on Select all on the opening menu. When files are selected, their
    names are highlighted in blue. You can then look at the menu on the left
    of the file names and click on Copy and then select the folder you want or
    make a new folder.

    If you want to repair the automatic Autoplay window you can try the
    following.

    Different ways to try to repair the Autoplay window for downloading from
    either a camera or card reader. Also the same procedure can be used for a CD
    drive Autoplay.

    Go from steps I to V, although step V may not be needed.

    I. Connect your camera to your computer, power it on and make sure you have
    pictures on your memory card. Make sure your batteries are good or better
    yet, use your AC adapter if your camera came with one. If you are trying
    with a card reader, just connect it with a memory card inserted and with
    pictures on the memory card.

    Click on My Computer and look under Device with Removable storage. Your
    camera will be listed there and a drive letter will be assigned to it
    (something like H, G, etc.) You will use this drive letter in a step below.
    If you do not see your camera listed there you will need to repair your USB
    connection (see below for repair) or you are on a network and the network
    drive is Z and XP cannot
    assign a drive letter to your camera so you will need to take care of this
    first. The steps below will not work if XP cannot assign a drive letter for
    your camera.

    II. Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the textbox:
    REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL
    and press Enter
    Note that there is a space between ...32 and SHI...
    This will take a few seconds to run.

    III. Go to the following site:
    http://www.bigblackglasses.com/staff/downloads/autofix.exe

    and download the autofix.exe file in one of your folder. Once done, double
    click on this file. A window will open. Follow the directions on the screen.

    Once done, turn off the camera and reboot.

    IV. Power the camera on, wait 10-15 seconds for XP to recognize it, you
    should hear some beeping sound and the window should now open giving you the
    option of downloading photos from the camera.

    V. You may have to set the options for this window.
    Click on My Computer, your camera should be listed there under Devices with
    Removable Storage. Right click on it and click on Properties. In the opening
    window, click on the Autoplay tab and under Select, scroll to Pictures to
    select it. Select the button Prompt me... Do the same thing for a CD drive.

    You can also download the autofix.exe file from the site below if the above
    site is not available. At this Microsoft site, you have the option of
    downloading the autofix.exe file and proceed as above, or, let Microsoft
    scan your computer and try to repair everything. If you decide to use this
    site and let Microsoft try the repair, run the REGS...command given above
    before going to this site.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

    To repair your USB connection:

    Go to Control panel>Performance and maintenance>System>Hardware>Device
    manager>Universal Serial Bus Controller, click on the + sign to see the list
    of installed devices. If your camera is properly connected, it should be
    listed there with a yellow flag.

    Right click on it>Properties>Troubleshoot. See if the troubleshooter can
    help. If not, click on Action on the top bar and then Uninstall. Leave your
    camera connected and reboot. XP should automatically recognize the camera
    and install it.

    If after opening Control panel you do not see Performance and maintenance,
    you should see System. Click on System and continue.

    A solution posted by Bill using a Nikon camera:

    I had the same problem with a nikon. tried all the
    things th yves suggested but they did not work. Ithen
    install the camera via the control pnel add hardware
    function. It went to aq point and it required file called
    ptpusd.dll from service pack one. I found the file on my
    hard drive via search. Typed the path in the window that
    asked for it and it took. It now comes up autpmatically
    again. Check your set up menu on the camera to see your
    usb setting is PTP. Good luck Bill

    Another possible solution posted here:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo...message.id=3681&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

    Yves Alarie, Apr 22, 2004
  4. off the top of my head, and because i only have a few mins, have you checked
    that the Windows Image Acquisition service is running? if not, you can
    manually start it by right-clicking on it, and select Start or Restart from
    the context menu. you can find it in the Services console (right-click on
    My Computer, Manage, Services and Apps tree, Services) normally this
    service is set to run manually, it is supposed to get invoked when the
    camera or flashcard is connected. connect the card, then locate it in
    windows explorer (should be listed as a disk), right-click on it, select
    Properties, then look at the AutoPlay tab (on the properties dialog for the
    flash card and/or camera), select the content type (pictures) from the
    drop-down menu, then select the action to perform, which should be listed at
    the top, 'Copy pictures to a folder...' then press Apply. repeat the
    procedure for other content types and select the action you wish to be
    performed. assuming that fixes the problem, another tip would be to set the
    WIA service to start Automatically, which will cause it to load when windows
    starts. the benefit of this would be that the image acquisition wizard will
    launch much faster, and probably more reliably, thus saving you time,
    particularly if you're loading pics onto your computer on a regular basis.

    good luck...

    --
    francis gerard

    by a special handbut it sounds to me like something you've installed
    recently may have

    francis gerard, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Ellen Spelling

    Tom Guest

    > >QUESTION:
    > >Q: What's the secret of MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    > > or
    > >Q: What makes the photo copying wizard pop up AUTOMATICALLY
    > > (when I insert a compactflash flashcard adapter into the PCMCIA slot)?
    > >
    > >Ellen

    > - Open Windows Explorer, find the card reader and right click on it.
    > - Select the AutoPlay property sheet
    > - Turn on "Prompt Me Each Time To Choose An Option"
    >
    > The next time you load a card into the reader the pop-up will magically
    > appear.

    Thanks, I needed that answer, too. I've noticed that whenever, I choose a
    program other than Windows Explorer as the default viewer for picture files,
    I lose the automatic popup asking me how I want to do the files. I couldn't
    figure out how to get it back without resetting Windows Explorer as the
    default viewer although I had figured out that if I opened Explorer and
    manually clicked on the cardreader the popup would appear.
    Tom.

    Tom, Apr 22, 2004
  6. I never new it was built into XP. I found a little program called cam2pc
    that does that for me. Makes a directory, and moves the files...and lots
    more. Might be worth checking out. I will now try to pull up the XP version
    to see which is better.

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 22, 2004
  7. "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message news:<PpIhc.17467$>...
    > I never new it was built into XP. I found a little program called cam2pc

    Please don't take this wrong, but, all but one of the replies above
    are to the wrong question.

    It's useful information but in the wrong direction.

    Like the original poster, I have a compactflash card that just stopped
    working after I installed power toys on windose xp.

    I don't want to tether a camera so anything about cameras presumably
    does not apply as there is no firewire or usb-connected camera
    in this picture. Likewise for a card reader. That isn't the problem.

    I have a compact flash pcmcia flashcard adapter
    (not a tethered camera and not a USB or firewire card reader).

    What used to happen is the following:
    a) I would remove the CompactFlash CF card from the camera
    and place that CF card into the FlashCard CompactFlash PCMCIA
    Adapter
    b) I inserted the FlashCard adapter into the laptop PCMCIA slot and
    I would hear a telltale ding dong & "Removable Disk (E:)" showed
    up in the "My Computer" window.
    c) With AutoPlay working, up pops "Welcome to the Scanner and
    Camera Wizard".
    Without AutoPlay, nothing happens. I have to manually
    move the files over, and I have to manually raname them all
    (luckily Windose XP has a multi-file renaming utility on the
    right-click folder menu).

    I have no idea why the compactflash autoplay just stopped working.

    I tried the steps in the Microsoft KGB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817357
    titled: "The AutoPlay Function Does Not Work and the Current Media
    Does Not Appear in My Computer When You Insert a CD or DVD" ...
    But, it failed to solve the problem (CF is not a DVD or CDROM).

    I read the KGB article and tried everything at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307142
    titled "AutoPlay Does Not Automatically Start a Program to Play
    QuickTime Movie Files" but, again, these are pictures, and not
    movies that won't autoplay the wizard.

    This showed me it's important to find an article SPECIFICALLY about
    the compactflash pcmcia adapter (not cameras, cdroms, card readers,
    etc).

    I tried following the steps in the Microsoft KGB article at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...asics_extending/autoplay/autoplay2k_using.asp
    titled Using and Configuring AutoPlay, but it also failed to work.

    What finally worked was an unknown combination of the following:
    Start ... Run ... REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL

    Then running TweakUI from http://tinyurl.com/36n and in tweak UI
    a window opened. I clicked on the + sign next to My Computer,
    then on the + sign next to Autoplay. Then, on Types. I checked
    the boxes for Autoplay Drive Types and clicked OK.

    Also, I followed the instructions previously noted, here repeated:
    Start ... Run ... regedit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Look for asimilar setting in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    In my case, the "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value here was a REG_BINARY
    instead of a REG_DWORD.

    If this is your case, you can try these steps:
    1. Delete that binary value by highlighting the "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"
    value and pressing the DEL key.
    2. Right-click on that right-pane, select New - DWORD value.
    3. Name the New Value as "NoDrive TypeAutoRun"
    4. Double-click or press Enter to modify the newly created value.
    5. Select the "Decimal" radio button, and then type "145"
    without the quotes.
    6. Click OK and then close the Registry Editor.
    7. Save your work and restart your computer.
    (Logging off is not enough.)
    After the reboot, give your CFlash a try.

    Then I re-installed power toys from the KGB following these
    instructions:
    Download the file for Tweak UI.
    Once downloaded, double click on it to install it.
    After installing it launch TweakUI.
    A box will open, click on My Computer, click on Autoplay, click on
    Types and check the box Autoplay for removable drives.
    Now, with your computer on but your flashcard out, connect
    the compactFlash card into the PCMCIA slot.
    Hopefully the ding-ding wizard will now autoplay like before.

    One or more item above brought my Scanner and Camera Wizard back to
    life!

    In summary I have no idea what exactly brought my compact
    flash adapter autoplay back to life but it was some combination
    of the above. Maybe the flashcard pcmcia adapter acts like a
    tethered camera (I doubt it) and maybe the pcmcia card acts like
    a USB or firewire card reader but I doubt it.

    All I know is I hope this confusing reply helps you too
    and that someone who knows more than I do answers the question
    (but without talking anything about cameras or card readers
    because they just aren't in the picture).

    DD

    Donna D Dvorak, Apr 22, 2004
  8. I tried all the steps from Double-D Dvorak and still, when I put in my
    loaded SanDisk FlashCard into the PCMCIA slot of my WinXP laptop, nothing
    happens other than an "E:" drive shows up in "My Computer."

    It would be nice to just find the EXECUTABLE that is the Windows XP
    "Scanner & Camera Wizard". Then I could just type:
    C:\system\WinXP\system32\ScanCam.exe
    (or whatever the executable is named) to bring it up.

    QUESTION:
    Q: What is the EXECUTABLE that is the Win XP "Scanner & Camera Wizard?"

    WORKAROUND:
    Until I find the right solution (which is to manually run ScanCam.exe
    (or whatever it is), I can:
    a) Put the flashcard in the laptop PCMCIA slot
    (while that does not automatically autoplay (no matter what I do),
    at leasts, mounts it as "My Computer, Removable Disk (E:)"
    b) Immediately right click on that "Removable Disk (E:)" and press:
    AutoPlay
    (that brings up a window, titled "Removable Disk (E:)", which
    says "Windows can perform the same action each time you insert
    a disk or connect a device with this kind of file" ...
    and, for the file it shows "Pictures"; and then it asks:
    What do you want Windows to do?
    c) Take the first option (of about five available) which is:
    - Copy pictures to a folder on my computer using Microsoft
    Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard

    Does anyone out there in Windows land know how to bring up the Windows XP
    "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" simply by running an executable?

    Ellen

    Ellen Spelling, Apr 26, 2004
  9. (Ellen Spelling) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone out there in PC land know how to bring up the Windows XP
    > "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" simply by running an executable?

    I can never get it to work with a sandisk flashcard but you can
    try the Windows Image Acquisition and Control Manager (wiaacmgr):
    C:\os\winxp\system32\wiaacmgr.exe -SelectDevice -ShellExecuteEx -Image

    If you don't know where your OS is actually located, just use this:
    Start > Run > wiaacmgr.exe

    If all you have is your compactflash card in the flashcard PCMCIA adapter,
    up may pop an error with the title (using Windows XP SP1):
    Scanner and Camera Wizard
    Containing the (not very helpful) text:
    The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    Please make sure the device is turned on
    and is properly connected to the computer.
    If the computer still cannot detect the device,
    open Control Panel, click Scanners and Cameras,
    and then click Add Device.

    Duh! There is no scanner nor is there a camera!
    There's just a ton of pictures on the compactflash card which is
    Drive F: on My Computer. If anyone can get the wiaacmgr to pop up
    without a scanner or camera attached, they are a god or goddess!

    Make sure to check your registry (from http://msdn.microsoft.com)
    to make sure this lousy KGB key/value pair is NOT there:
    MSDN Home > MSDN Library > User Interface Design and Development >
    Windows Shell > Shell Programmer's Guide > Shell Basics >
    Shell Basics: Extending the Shell > Using Hardware AutoPlay >
    Preparing Hardware and Software for Use with AutoPlay >
    Preventing AutoPlay for a Component:

    To prevent AutoPlay from launching in response to an event,
    add the following REG_SZ value, as shown in this example.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\CancelAutoplay\CLSID\
    00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

    AutoPlay searches for media four directory levels below the root
    directory to find known file types. It uses the PerceivedType value
    associated with a file extension in the registry to determine the
    file category, whether it is an image, an audio file, or a video file.
    With this information, AutoPlay launches the appropriate handler
    for that device and file type. For more information, see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com
    MSDN Home > MSDN Library > User Interface Design and Development >
    Windows Shell > Shell Programmer's Guide > Shell Basics >
    Shell Basics: Extending the Shell > Creating a File Association >
    File Associations: PerceivedTypes and SystemFileAssociations >
    PerceivedTypes, SystemFileAssociations, and Application Registration

    Whenever the Shell needs to query for file association attributes
    for a file type, it creates an array of registry keys.
    The Shell checks the following registry keys, in order of
    decreasing priority.
    1. User Customized Key.
    This key is used only if the user has customized a file
    extension's association to override the default.
    Typically this is either an application key or another
    programmatic identifier (PROGID).
    2. ProgID Key.
    This key is specified as the default value of the extension key.
    3. SystemFileAssociations Key. See below.
    4. SystemFileAssociations PerceivedType Key. See below.
    5. Base Class Key. For files, this is the ASTERISK(*) key.
    6. AllFileSystemObjects Key. All files and file folders.

    PerceivedTypes

    PerceivedTypes are similar to file types except they refer to broad
    categories of file format types, rather than specific file types.
    For example, Image, Text, Audio, and Compressed are PerceivedTypes.
    File types (generally public file types) can also have a PerceivedType,
    and should always be defined as such when appropriate.
    For example, the image file types .bmp, .png, .jpg and .gif
    are also of PerceivedType Image.

    The system defines several PerceivedTypes in Microsoft® Windows® XP.
    These include the following:
    * Image
    * Text
    * Audio
    * Video
    * Compressed
    * System

    The SystemFileAssociations key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT stores
    PerceivedTypes.
    For example, the PerceivedType text appears as follows:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\text\shell\edit\command
    (Default) = "%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE" "%1"
    open
    command
    (Default) = "%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE" "%1"
    A file type's perceived type is indicated by including a
    PerceivedType registry string in the file type's key and
    specifying the perceived type. For example, to include .cpp
    files as PerceivedType text, you enter the following:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

    ..cpp
    PerceivedType= text

    SystemFileAssociations

    The SystemFileAssociations keys exist to guarantee that Shell
    extensions are installed regardless of the current default
    PROGID or user customization. These keys enable Windows XP to
    define fallback attributes for file types and enable shared file
    associations. Supplemental verbs should be added under
    SystemFileAssociations

    Application Registration
    When the ShellExecute function is provided with the name of
    an executable file in its lpFile parameter, there are several
    places that it can look in an attempt to find the file,
    including the following:
    * The current working directory
    * The Windows directory (no subdirectories are searched)
    * The Windows\System32 directory
    * Directories listed in the PATH environment variable
    * The App Paths registry key

    The order that those locations are searched varies, though the
    App Paths key is preferred in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    The keys found under App Paths are used primarily for the
    following two purposes.

    * To map the name of an application's executable file
    to the file's fully qualified path.
    * To append information to the PATH environment variable on
    a per-application, per-process basis.

    To provide this functionality for your application, add a subkey
    with the same name as your executable file to the App Paths key
    as follows:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    file.exe
    (Default) = The fully-qualified path and file name
    Path= A semicolon-separated list of directories
    DropTarget= {CLSID}

    Note The file name can be provided without its .exe extension.
    The ShellExecute function adds the extension if necessary when
    searching App Paths .

    If a key matching the file name is found, the Shell can perform
    two actions. First, the (Default) value can be used as the file's
    fully-qualified path. Second, the Path value for that key can be
    appended to the end of that process' PATH environment variable.
    If that functionality is not required, the Path value can be omitted.

    DropTarget is a REG_SZ value containing the class identifier (CLSID)
    of an object—usually a local rather than in-process server—that
    implements IDropTarget. By default, when the target is an
    executable file, the Shell converts the list of dropped files
    into a command line parameter passed to ShellExecute in its
    lpParameters parameter. There are several potential issues
    that can arise from this.

    * The Shell limits the length of a command line to
    MAX_PATH * 2 characters. If there are a lot of files or
    their particular paths are long, file names later in the
    list can be lost.
    * Some applications do not accept multiple file names
    in a command line.
    * Applications that accept multiple file names do not have
    a standardized file name format that they accept.
    The Shell provides the parameter list as a quoted string,
    but some applications might require strings without quotes.
    * Not all items that can be dragged are part of the file
    system—printers, for example. These items do not have a
    standard Win32 path, so there is no way to provide a
    meaningful lpParameters value to ShellExecute.

    Using the DropTarget value avoids these issues by giving
    access to all of the clipboard formats, including
    CFSTR_SHELLIDLIST (for long file lists) and CFSTR_FILECONTENTS
    (for non-file system objects).

    In addition to the three values recognized by the Shell,
    an application can also add custom values to its key to
    use as needed.

    Applications are encouraged to use the App Paths key to
    provide an application-specific path rather than adding
    to the global system path.
    Related Topics:
    * InvokeVerb
    * Verbs
    * ShellExecute
    * ShellExecuteEx

    Donna D Dvorak, Apr 26, 2004
  10. daytripper <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > - Open Windows Explorer, find the card reader and right click on it.
    > - Select the AutoPlay property sheet
    > - Turn on "Prompt Me Each Time To Choose An Option"

    This won't bring up the windows image acquisition and control manager
    (wiaacmgr), otherwise known as the (fun) flaky unreliable nop
    "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard", in autoplay mode,
    unless the following settings are in the Windose system registry:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\ShowPicturesOnArrival
    MSWiaEventHandler

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\MSWiaEventHandler
    "Action"="@%systemroot%\\System32\\wiaacmgr.exe,-276"
    "Provider"="@%systemroot%\\System32\\wiaacmgr.exe,-101"
    "DefaultIcon"="@%systemroot%\System32\wiaacmgr.exe,-2"
    "InvokeProgID"="WIA.AutoplayDropHandler.1"
    "InvokeVerb"="open"

    Most folks also have to run:
    Start > Run > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    Also, as I said before, all users MUST check this setting:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    If the "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value here is a REG_BINARY instead of
    a REG_DWORD, run this:

    1. Delete that binary value by highlighting the
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value and pressing the DEL key.
    2. Right-click on that right-pane, select New - DWORD value.
    3. Name the New Value as "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"
    4. Double-click or press Enter to modify the newly created value.
    5. Select the "Decimal" radio button, and then type "145"
    (without the quotations).
    6. Click OK and then close the Registry Editor.
    7. Save your work and restart your computer.
    (Logging off is never enough when dealing with the registry.)

    Hint: Microsoft Windows XP & CDROM utilities such as InCD modify these
    settings causing AutoPlay to not bring up the Microsoft Scanner
    &
    Camera Wizard (wiaacmgr.exe).

    Donna D Dvorak, Apr 26, 2004
  11. Ellen Spelling

    Kelly Guest

    What is this thread (scratch that) about and doing in XP general?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Kelly, Apr 26, 2004
  12. Ellen Spelling

    JC Dill Guest

    On 25 Apr 2004 19:51:25 -0700, (Ellen Spelling)
    wrote:

    >Does anyone out there in Windows land know how to bring up the Windows XP
    >"Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" simply by running an executable?

    Before you launch the program, click:

    This will bring up the Task Manager, or a window that has a Task
    Manager button (differing versions of Windows do this differently).
    Go to the Task Manager and click on processes and then the CPU column
    header to bring the most active process to the top of the column.

    Then launch the "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard" program with
    your current method. While the program is running, change to the task
    manager window and look for the name of the process that is now using
    the most CPU time, that will be the name of the file you need to
    launch.

    Now go to:

    Start -> Search -> Files and Folders

    and type in the program name to find where Windoze stores that program
    in the file system.

    <right click> on the filename in the search results

    and select "make shortcut", you will get "Windows cannot create a
    shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop
    instead?" Answer yes. Bingo, now you have a shortcut on your
    desktop. You can move or copy that shortcut to your taskbar or start
    menu, as you like.

    HTH

    jc

    JC Dill, Apr 26, 2004
  13. On 26 Apr 2004 02:55:50 -0700, (Donna D

    Just zapping one bit of what IMO is bad advice...

    >If the "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value here is a REG_BINARY instead of
    >a REG_DWORD, run this:

    >1. Delete that binary value by highlighting the
    > "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value and pressing the DEL key.
    >2. Right-click on that right-pane, select New - DWORD value.
    >3. Name the New Value as "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"
    >4. Double-click or press Enter to modify the newly created value.
    >5. Select the "Decimal" radio button, and then type "145"
    > (without the quotations).
    >6. Click OK and then close the Registry Editor.
    >7. Save your work and restart your computer.
    > (Logging off is never enough when dealing with the registry.)

    I don't like 145 decimal (91 hex) as a NoDriveTypeAutoRun value,
    because this facilitates \Autorun.inf processing on HD volumes.

    Couple that with XP's hidden admin shares that expose the \ of all HD
    volumes, and you have the risk of hostile Autorun.inf being dropped
    into the root of these volumes. With 91 or 95 hex, these will be
    interpreted when the user tries to navigate into the volume.

    I'd use 9D in hex (157 decimal) rather than 95 hex. The XP duhfault
    of 91 hex exposes enother device; as 95 hex - 91 hex = 4, I guess the
    equivalent safer value would be 9A hex (153 decimal).

    Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
    a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Apr 28, 2004
  14. Ellen Spelling

    PaulR

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    QUESTION:
    Q: What's the secret of MANUALLY bring up the WinXP photo copying wizard?
    or
    Q: What makes the photo copying wizard pop up AUTOMATICALLY
    (when I insert a compactflash flashcard adapter into the PCMCIA slot)?

    This is the path for the icon I have set up to run the file manually. Hope this helps.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wiaacmgr.exe -SelectDevice

    PaulR, Jan 2, 2009