    email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    old geezer for any help/advice..
    William Holohan, Aug 17, 2007

  2. William Holohan

    Andy Guest

    "William Holohan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am on a win200 pro machine. Have some sort of trojan/malware on my
    > machine sending numerous emails in the background. Get 40-50 returned
    > email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    > virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    > old geezer for any help/advice..

    You may not be sending these, it could be someone else pretending to be you.

    Andy
    Andy, Aug 17, 2007

  3. William Holohan

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-17, William Holohan <> wrote:
    > I am on a win200 pro machine. Have some sort of trojan/malware on my
    > machine sending numerous emails in the background. Get 40-50 returned
    > email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    > virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    > old geezer for any help/advice..

    There may not be any problem at all with your computer; if you are getting
    'bounce' messages, that means that the original message was sent with your
    email address in the 'From' header - something that is easily faked by
    anyone, and a common trick by spammers to avoid them getting any replies
    and to make it look as though their messages come from real people. It is
    not necessary to use your computer to send emails that look as though they
    are from you.

    Your email address was probably obtained by a 'bot' scanning newsgroups,
    web forums, or some other place where you used it to sign in or post a
    message. Another source of valid addresses is a computer that has been
    compromised and which has your address in that person's 'addressbook'.
    Yet another source is those jokes and SOS emails that ask to be 'forwarded
    to everyone you know' - they quickly acquire very long lists of valid
    addresses which spammers can use.

    As long as your anti-virus software and operating system are up-to-date
    then you probably don't have a hidden program sending emails from your
    computer. If you have an effective 'firewall' controlling what goes out
    from your computer, then such a thing wouldn't work anyway (unless you
    gave it permission to ...).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 17, 2007
  4. William Holohan

    Kenny Guest

    Some info on cleaning malware.
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Viruses_Malware

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Aug 17, 2007
  5. William Holohan

    penguin676 Guest

    William Holohan wrote:
    >I am on a win200 pro machine. Have some sort of trojan/malware on my
    >machine sending numerous emails in the background. Get 40-50 returned
    >email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    >virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    >old geezer for any help/advice..

    Greetings;

    Do a Google search for these programs. Read about them, download them,
    install them, update them, then run them:

    Ad-Aware SE
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    EasyCleaner
    AVG Anti-Virus

    They all have free versions which you can download.

    Malware comes in multiple forms, not just viruses. You need several
    types of programs to root out the little nasties that get into your
    system. Be sure to keep them all updated. Good luck.

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris
    penguin676, Aug 17, 2007
  6. William Holohan

    ded Guest

    >I am on a win200 pro machine. Have some sort of trojan/malware on my
    > machine sending numerous emails in the background. Get 40-50 returned
    > email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    > virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    > old geezer for any help/advice..

    Though an infection is a possibility, what is more likely is your email
    address
    is being used by spammers etc as the return path. You PC/email account
    didn't
    send the emails.
    Alas, what would lend credence to that is you used your default AOL email
    account with your post, and you'll see above for this reply I've munged
    your addy. There are automated harvesting bots that sweep up genuine email
    addresses, not only will your addy be used as the return path (It's an
    attempt
    by spammers to get through filters etc) but your account will also be
    swamped
    with spam. Unfortunately very soon your email account will likely become
    unuseable.
    For online activity such as usenet, forums, downloads etc etc, you should
    use
    a "disposable" email account such as hotmail, mail.com etc for registration,
    posting purposes.
    ded, Aug 17, 2007
  7. On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 05:45:58 -0400, William Holohan <>
    wrote:

    Thank you all for your info/input. It is appreciated. I am beginning
    to understant the situation much better now. I willl work on getting
    myself out of this mess.

    William Holohan, Aug 18, 2007
  8. William Holohan

    Plato Guest

    William Holohan wrote:

    > I am on a win200 pro machine. Have some sort of trojan/malware on my
    > machine sending numerous emails in the background. Get 40-50 returned
    > email messages daily. Have Macafee but it does not root it out. What
    > virus remover should I buy to get rid of it. Thanks in advance from an
    > old geezer for any help/advice..

    Try some of the free anti-virus, anti-trojan programs.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 19, 2007