    I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
    What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
    add the space to C:??
    bardeban, Mar 29, 2009

  2. bardeban

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:31:21 -0400, bardeban wrote:

    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did. When I check drive C which
    > is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU partition.
    > When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and
    > Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU partition. I want to delete
    > UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive. What can I do to see
    > UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and add the space to
    > C:??

    Just format the C: drive, and that will remove the UBUNTU partition.
    It's easy!

    Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
    Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
    Dan C, Mar 29, 2009

  3. bardeban

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-29, bardeban <> wrote:
    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    > When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
    > partition.
    > When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and Floppy,
    > there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.

    That's because Microsoft operating systems can't recognise the presence
    of file systems that weren't invented by Microsoft - so they act as though
    they don't exist.

    > I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
    > What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
    > add the space to C:??

    Using the installation disc from which you got Ubuntu would probably be the
    easiest. Remember the part of the installation routine where you re-sized
    the original all-of-the-disc Windows partition to make room for the Linux
    partitions? That works to do the opposite too - and I wouldn't be
    surprised if there's a tool there to 'restore original MBR' too. Linux
    forces itself on no-one.

    If you prefer to do it the Microsoft way, try following the instructions
    provided by ... who was it? .... Oh yes - Microsoft!
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 29, 2009
  4. bardeban

    Mike Easter Guest

    bardeban wrote:
    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.

    That's not much of a description of how you went about handling the
    partition managment and Ub install, so you might not get much advice about
    how to handle your boot sector.

    > When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
    > partition.

    The subject of this message is 'hidden' partition, which hidden word isn't
    mentioned down here in the message body.

    > When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and
    > Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.
    > I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
    > What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it
    > and add the space to C:??

    You could boot with the Ub live CD and use its GPartEd for partition
    management legally. You could download TinyXP and use some of the many
    partition and boot sector warez 'illegally'. If you get into a big mess,
    you may need some of the tools available on TinyXP.

    I recommend that you have everything all backed up, because you might have
    some trouble and lose your XP. Part of the Ub's grub boot loader is
    occupying your boot sector and part of it is occupying the Ub partition's
    files.

    I suspect you are going to get some 'experiential' education in boot
    sector and partition management and windows mbr repair before this is all
    over.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 29, 2009
  5. bardeban

    thanatoid Guest

    "bardeban" <> wrote in

    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    > When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see
    > the UBUNTU partition.
    > When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and
    > DVDROM and Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU
    > partition. I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the
    > space to my C drive. What can I do to see UBUNTU partition
    > and is it possible to delete it and add the space to C:??

    You have to get a partition management program like Partition
    Magic. Windows can't see Linux etc.
    This is a multi-OS problem which only a tool /like - there are
    many/ PM can solve.
    I /strongly/ suggest you back up everything that matters FIRST.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2009
  6. bardeban

    olfart Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "bardeban" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a XP SP3 computer.
    >> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    >> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see
    >> the UBUNTU partition.
    >> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and
    >> DVDROM and Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU
    >> partition. I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the
    >> space to my C drive. What can I do to see UBUNTU partition
    >> and is it possible to delete it and add the space to C:??

    > You have to get a partition management program like Partition
    > Magic. Windows can't see Linux etc.
    > This is a multi-OS problem which only a tool /like - there are
    > many/ PM can solve.
    > I /strongly/ suggest you back up everything that matters FIRST.
    >

    > --

    If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn thing
    probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and Linsucks in
    dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and finally just
    wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000.
    I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again
    olfart, Mar 29, 2009
  7. bardeban wrote:

    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    > When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
    > partition.

    Because "drive C" is a partition, not a whole harddrive.
    You need to go to management - disk management.
    To get rid of grub, use your xp cd and the "recovery console" to do
    a "fixmbr" which will boot the windows bootloader in place again.

    > I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.

    You can use disk management in XP to delete all ubuntu remainders and create
    one partition adjacing to your c: which will then have driveletter d: or
    another - but with XP onboard tools it is not possible to add that space to
    c:
    In fact, using a 2nd partition may be a good idea: you can right-click
    on "my files and settings" folder and choose to move it over to the 2nd
    partition. Windows and office programs will recognize that change and
    behave accordingly. And, you won't lose your documents even after following
    Dan C's advice :) or after your windows got b0rken (once more) and you had
    to reinstall.
    If, however, you insist in adding that space to C:, fire the ubuntu install
    dvd/cd in livecd mode and use gparted there.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 29, 2009
  8. olfart wrote:

    > If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn thing
    > probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and Linsucks in

    Whatever. He will still have the ubuntu listed together with windows, but
    obviously ubunto won't boot ... yet windows still will do.

    > dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and finally just

    Google does not trade mbr fixes. You probably got some crapware. Instead,
    just running recovery console from your bootable genuine windows cd and
    typing "fixmbr" there should do. Yes, even windows2000 has a recovery
    console. But you could use any XP cd for that purpose as well. Even a
    windows98 will do.

    > wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000.
    > I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

    And why I do like the simple rather straightforward win2k and that it has no
    wpa/wga stuff, I also know it is definitely EOL.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 29, 2009
  9. olfart wrote:

    > I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

    Hey, have fun with all your viruses and worms, and the CPU cycles to run
    all those anti-malware applications... <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 29, 2009
  10. bardeban

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:55:39 -0400, olfart wrote:

    > If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn
    > thing probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and
    > Linsucks in dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and
    > finally just wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000. I will
    > never put any Linux crap on my machines again

    Heh. Dumbass.

    Dan C, Mar 29, 2009
  11. bardeban wrote:
    > I have a XP SP3 computer.
    > I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    > When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
    > partition.
    > When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and Floppy,
    > there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.
    > I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
    > What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
    > add the space to C:??

    Yes, but WHY?!!?

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 29, 2009
  12. bardeban

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:55:39 -0400, olfart writ:

    > If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn
    > thing probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and
    > Linsucks in dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and
    > finally just wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000. I will
    > never put any Linux crap on my machines again

    Look at it from the other way. If he wanted to get rid of Windows, and
    deleted every Windows partition, Linux wouldn't give a shit and would
    continue to boot and operate like nothing had happened. It's Windows, and
    Windows's parochial boot loader, that are the problems here.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Mar 30, 2009
  13. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    bardeban, Mar 30, 2009
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > olfart wrote:
    >
    >> I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

    > Hey, have fun with all your viruses and worms, and the CPU cycles to run
    > all those anti-malware applications... <g>

    Wait'll Conficker thumps his arse :)

    Nice write up on slashdot about it, fyi.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 30, 2009
  15. bardeban wrote:
    > "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >> bardeban wrote:
    >>> I have a XP SP3 computer.
    >>> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
    >>> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
    >>> partition.
    >>> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and
    >>> Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.
    >>> I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
    >>> What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
    >>> add the space to C:??

    >> Yes, but WHY?!!?
    >>

    >> If you don't know the answer, ignor my question.

    If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper, it is time for
    you to leave.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 30, 2009
  16. bardeban

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > bardeban wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >>> If you don't know the answer, ignor my question.

    > If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper, it
    > is time for you to leave.

    I think you should "Igor" his question.

    BTW, I can clap with one hand. It is not that hard, although of
    course, not as loud.

    thanatoid, Mar 31, 2009
  17. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> bardeban wrote:

    > <SNIP>

    >> If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper, it
    >> is time for you to leave.

    > I think you should "Igor" his question.
    >
    > BTW, I can clap with one hand. It is not that hard, although of
    > course, not as loud.

    Some guy on "Nitro Circus" (mtv show) set a record for one handed
    clapping...just about sprained his wrist :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 31, 2009