    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Oct 13, 2009

  2. Jim S

    Gordon Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use it
    > to store backups.
    > When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    > seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to be
    > empty although I am set up to view hidden files.
    > Any idea what's going on?
    > (WinXP)

    Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files" option?
    Gordon, Oct 13, 2009

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:24:50 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use it
    >> to store backups.
    >> When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    >> seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to be
    >> empty although I am set up to view hidden files.
    >> Any idea what's going on?
    >> (WinXP)

    > Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files" option?

    Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back to
    2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files and
    folders you have deleted"
    I now assume these are safe to remove?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Oct 13, 2009
  4. Jim S

    Gordon Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:24:50 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use it
    >>> to store backups.
    >>> When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    >>> seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to be
    >>> empty although I am set up to view hidden files.
    >>> Any idea what's going on?
    >>> (WinXP)

    >> Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files" option?

    > Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back to
    > 2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    > 7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files and
    > folders you have deleted"
    > I now assume these are safe to remove?

    I suspect you can safely delete all but the most recent - try it and see
    what happens!
    Gordon, Oct 13, 2009
  5. Jim S

    Buffalo Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I
    > use it to store backups.
    > When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up
    > and seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it
    > appears to be empty although I am set up to view hidden files.
    > Any idea what's going on?
    > (WinXP)

    Look it up in DOS and see what it says.
    Also check here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041
    The above link is for another OS, but it may be useful.

    Much info in Google
    Put in Recycler in WinXP
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Oct 13, 2009
  6. Jim S

    philo Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files"
    >>> option?

    >> Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back to
    >> 2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    >> 7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files and
    >> folders you have deleted"
    >> I now assume these are safe to remove?

    > I suspect you can safely delete all but the most recent - try it and see
    > what happens!

    It's just the old recycle bin and can be deleted...

    a new "RECYCLER" will probably appear later
    philo, Oct 13, 2009
  7. Jim S

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:32:23 +0100, Jim S wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:24:50 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use it
    >>> to store backups.
    >>> When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    >>> seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to be
    >>> empty although I am set up to view hidden files.
    >>> Any idea what's going on?
    >>> (WinXP)

    >> Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files" option?

    > Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back to
    > 2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    > 7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files and
    > folders you have deleted"
    > I now assume these are safe to remove?

    Which goes to prove that M$ doesn't want your files to be deleted.
    So that investigators can easily find any incriminating evidence you might
    have wanted to destroy.

    What you need to do is to "shred" your files with a 3rd party process so
    that M$ has nothing to do with it.
    richard, Oct 13, 2009
  8. richard wrote:

    > Which goes to prove that M$ doesn't want your files to be deleted.

    No, "which goes to prove that M$ wants to protect the user from himself"

    > So that investigators can easily find any incriminating evidence you
    > might have wanted to destroy.

    Only people who visit child porn sites need worry about "investigators."

    > What you need to do is to "shred" your files with a 3rd party process
    > so that M$ has nothing to do with it.

    ...and if the OP needs to recover a mistakenly deleted file?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 13, 2009
  9. Re: Hidden files - Hidden agendas

    richard <> deflatulated this with

    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:32:23 +0100, Jim S wrote:

    >>> Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files"
    >>> option?

    >> Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back
    >> to 2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    >> 7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files
    >> and folders you have deleted"
    >> I now assume these are safe to remove?

    > Which goes to prove that M$ doesn't want your files to be deleted.
    > So that investigators can easily find any incriminating evidence you
    > might have wanted to destroy.
    >
    > What you need to do is to "shred" your files with a 3rd party process so
    > that M$ has nothing to do with it.

    Errrggghhhh... !

    Peeples need to practice safe procedures before you does
    anything permanent totally undoable regetfully unrecoverable
    grief processing period of remorse and painful memories.

    Safer to copy them somewhere for second thoughts and walks down
    memory lane with your voodoo dolls just in case some torture is
    in the Tarot card reading fates.

    "What would be better than that," you may ask.

    Very well, I'll tell you one very good one...

    A blow-up voodoo doll that you can have the secks with,
    then cast spells on all your enemies... with suction-cup
    pins of course, in case you get all aroused after putting
    the jiu-jiu on a bunch of deserving creeps.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER'

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 13, 2009
  10. richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:32:23 +0100, Jim S wrote:

    >>> Have you also disabled the "Hide protected Operating System Files" option?

    >> Ah. I have now enabled that and there are four files there dating back to
    >> 2004. All have a pale recycling icon on the left. The most recent
    >> 7-10-2009. If I put the cursor over them they say "Contains the files and
    >> folders you have deleted"
    >> I now assume these are safe to remove?

    > Which goes to prove that M$ doesn't want your files to be deleted.
    > So that investigators can easily find any incriminating evidence you might
    > have wanted to destroy.
    >
    > What you need to do is to "shred" your files with a 3rd party process so
    > that M$ has nothing to do with it.

    d00d! THATS WHER TEH NSA STORES ITSZ TRKING COKKIEZ!!!!!!!!111111111!!!

    WURD.

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    SηuhW∅ζƒ, Oct 13, 2009
  11. Jim S

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:23:21 +0100, Jim S wrote:

    > I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use
    > it to store backups.
    > When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    > seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to
    > be empty although I am set up to view hidden files. Any idea what's
    > going on?
    > (WinXP)

    You'll have to format your hard drive to get rid of that pesky RECYCLER.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
    Dan C, Oct 13, 2009
  12. Jim S

    Gordon Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:23:21 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I use
    >> it to store backups.
    >> When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up and
    >> seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it appears to
    >> be empty although I am set up to view hidden files. Any idea what's
    >> going on?
    >> (WinXP)

    > You'll have to format your hard drive to get rid of that pesky RECYCLER.

    WHAT? Idiot.......
    Gordon, Oct 14, 2009
  13. Jim S

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:38:12 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:23:21 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a slave HDD which many moons ago used to be my main drive. I
    >>> use it to store backups.
    >>> When I do a virus or spyware scan a folder called RECYCLER shows up
    >>> and seems to contain lots of files. When I go to that folder it
    >>> appears to be empty although I am set up to view hidden files. Any
    >>> idea what's going on?
    >>> (WinXP)

    >> You'll have to format your hard drive to get rid of that pesky
    >> RECYCLER.
    >>

    > WHAT? Idiot.......

    I know, you'd think he'd have known that without me having to tell him.

    Sheesh.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
    Dan C, Oct 14, 2009