Hibernation problem with FF2.0

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Danny Colyer, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I often set my computer to hibernate overnight, leaving FF with
    typically 5 or 6 tabs open. The tabs will usually be looking at the
    Radio 4 programmes that I plan to listen to the following day, for
    example the tabs that I would leave open tonight are:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/livingwiththeenemy/pip/egtdi/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/am_i_normal.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/withgreatpleasure/pip/mrzdo/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/tinacsstateoftheuniontour/pip/1uef6/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/thescanner/pip/pdj9r/

    I seldom had any problems doing this with 1.5.0.2 or older versions of
    FF, but since upgrading to 2.0 I have often found that the computer
    doesn't wake up fully the next day - it seems to start up, but the mouse
    and keyboard remain unresponsive.

    I haven't tried starting FF in safe mode and hibernating, perhaps I'll
    try that tonight. I mostly have the same extensions as before the
    upgrade, except that I have replaced Tabbrowser Extensions with Tab Mix
    Plus.

    Are there any known issues with either FF 2.0 or the Tab Mix Plus
    extension and hibernation? I'm running W2K Pro on a 1.7GHz P4 with
    512MB RAM.

    Danny Colyer, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I often set my computer to hibernate overnight, leaving FF with
    > typically 5 or 6 tabs open. The tabs will usually be looking at the
    > Radio 4 programmes that I plan to listen to the following day, for
    > example the tabs that I would leave open tonight are:
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/livingwiththeenemy/pip/egtdi/
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/am_i_normal.shtml
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/withgreatpleasure/pip/mrzdo/
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/tinacsstateoftheuniontour/pip/1uef6/
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/thescanner/pip/pdj9r/
    >
    > I seldom had any problems doing this with 1.5.0.2 or older versions of
    > FF, but since upgrading to 2.0 I have often found that the computer
    > doesn't wake up fully the next day - it seems to start up, but the mouse
    > and keyboard remain unresponsive.
    >
    > I haven't tried starting FF in safe mode and hibernating, perhaps I'll
    > try that tonight. I mostly have the same extensions as before the
    > upgrade, except that I have replaced Tabbrowser Extensions with Tab Mix
    > Plus.
    >
    > Are there any known issues with either FF 2.0 or the Tab Mix Plus
    > extension and hibernation? I'm running W2K Pro on a 1.7GHz P4 with
    > 512MB RAM.

    Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
    profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
    Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
    that you closed.

    Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session

    Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
    Manager.

    On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
    When Browser Exits, check Save Session.

    Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
    hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
    open all the tabs you had saved.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Danny Colyer

    Tony Raven Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote on 22/11/2006 00:22 +0100:

    > Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
    > profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
    > Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
    > that you closed.
    >
    > Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session
    >
    > Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
    > Manager.
    >
    > On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
    > When Browser Exits, check Save Session.
    >
    > Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
    > hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
    > open all the tabs you had saved.

    That's what I do these days, although I have not had the problems Danny
    reported. Even better on the Session Restore feature you can save a
    session to a menu and then recall that session at any time from the
    Session Manager menu. Which is what I do also for research projects
    where I want to be able to return to the pages I have identified.

    --
    Tony

    - Leonardo da Vinci

    Tony Raven, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
    > profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
    > Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
    > that you closed.
    >
    > Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session
    >
    > Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
    > Manager.
    >
    > On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
    > When Browser Exits, check Save Session.
    >
    > Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
    > hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
    > open all the tabs you had saved.

    Thanks for the suggestions, Lee. The session manager is enabled and I
    use it daily, though I've chosen not to save session exit or restore on
    startup. I want FF to open a single tab on my home page when I start it
    up. My other option is just to save the session and then reload it when
    I'm ready to use it, but I don't really want to do that either. Though
    what I'm currently doing is to save the session and then reload it after
    the PC crashes...

    I'm by no means certain that the problem is with TMP. To test, I
    hibernated and woke up twice in safe mode, with no problems. Then I did
    the same with TMP disabled, still no problems. Then I did the same with
    all extensions enabled, again no problems. Frustratingly, I am now
    unable to duplicate the problem.

    Danny Colyer, Nov 22, 2006