Hibernation fails (out of the blue)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Martijn Saly, May 9, 2006.

  1. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Hi all,

    Well, hibernation has always worked fine, but all of the sudden it errors on
    me. If I shutdown normally when I finish typing this message, it'll continue
    to hibernate properly afterwards, because I've had this happen before. It
    happened a few weeks ago, and now again.

    When trying to hibernate, I get a yellow popup in the lower right of the
    screen that says the system failed to hibernate, with error code 0xc000009a.

    Since hibernation works about 98% of the time, systems specs shouldn't be
    relevant, but here goes anyway:

    - Athlon64 3000+
    - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset)
    - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)
    - 74GB 10krpm SATA disk
    - 250GB 7200rpm SATA disk
    - NEC DVD+/-RW burner
    - Radeon X800 XT
    - All else onboard

    - Windows XP x64 SP1 (of course)
    - Pagefile is 1024MB (statically allocated on the boot disk)
    - WUP says no updates available
    - Latest drivers for everything I can think of

    I won't be able to verify any of the suggestions you guys come up with,
    because this will be the one time in a few weeks this is going to happen.
    Unless of course, my luck has run out. Anyway, if you know what this is,
    please share it with me. If not, well, let's hope and pray that someone at
    Microsoft reads this and files a proper bug report.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, May 9, 2006

  2. Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2006

  3. Oh Charlie, you are so thoughtful. ;) (GIYF)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 9, 2006
  4. Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 9, 2006
  5. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)

    What kind of resources does hibernation need, then?

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, May 10, 2006
  6. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?

    I thought fragmentation didn't matter for hibernation? I mean, the
    hiberfil.sys is just a file. Writing to a fragmented file is no different
    from writing to a contigious file...

    Anyway, hiberfil.sys isn't fragmented atm. Nor are any other system files.
    Not even the MFT is fragmented.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly
    Martijn Saly, May 10, 2006
  7. Quite a bit, actually. So if you try to go into hibernation, and your
    machine is resource starved, you're going to have problems. This is why it's
    intermittent. I'd suggest you look at what other programs you've been
    running before this problem occurs, and how long it's been since your last
    reboot. Chances are there's something that is leaking memory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 10, 2006
  8. "Martijn Saly" <> wrote in message
    > Tony Sperling wrote:
    >> Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?

    > I thought fragmentation didn't matter for hibernation? I mean, the
    > hiberfil.sys is just a file. Writing to a fragmented file is no different
    > from writing to a contigious file...

    Hi,

    I confess I really don't know, I just thought that perhaps the system might
    protest if it couldn't store all available memory in one contigious chunk.
    Just like the page/swap file Although, you would probably need to experience
    extreme levels of fragmentation to not be able to accomodate for a couple of
    Gig's on todays large volumes.

    > Anyway, hiberfil.sys isn't fragmented atm. Nor are any other system files.
    > Not even the MFT is fragmented.

    well, then - that completely refutes that theory!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 10, 2006
  9. > - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)

    Two sticks of 1GB? Did you recently add that second stick?

    I've seen, firsthand, plenty of systems that managed to hibernate without
    any problem since the OS was installed, and then randomly starting to fail
    to hibernate immediately after increasing the RAM to anything more than 1GB.

    Use the message text in a Google search--you'll see plenty of forum chatter
    about this one (including some discussions about a hotfix not actually
    taking care of the problem).
    Homer J. Simpson, May 11, 2006
  10. One of the 'selling points' of x64 is unlike Windows 32bit, there's no limit
    on non-paged pool imposed by the architecture of the OS.

    NPP is Kernel RAM which can't be paged out EVER. Things like handles to the
    disk drivers for example or other critical resources.

    On 32 bit systems I believe the upper limit of NPP is 256Mb which is why
    jamming sticks of RAM into 32 bit servers even with PAE on doesn't always
    work as you run out of NPP for things before you run out of main RAM.

    x64 however has no such limits ever for 32 bit apps running under WOW64
    which is why x64 is very nice for terminal servers and other multi
    connection servers which exhaust NPP.

    So if you're running out of NPP on x64 things are very bad indeed and you
    have, most likely, a leaky driver on one of your devices, per the suggestion
    of the excellent Mr Russel.
    I suspect (putting my developer hat on) that there is a problem in the
    hibernation code for the flakey driver. When the machine hibernates it asks
    all the devices to serialize (save) their state and report back when done.
    If one fails hibernation is aborted. In your case I believe one the of the
    drivers is spiralling off into infinitiy leaking resources when asked to
    save it's state which ultimately generates the 'out of NPP' error.

    But how to find out which one? You could try the driver verifier (included
    in Windows) see support article here
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244617 but it's a bit hairy.

    Probably the easiest way out of this is firstly make sure all devices are up
    to date. If that doesn't fix the issues unplug everything you can and try to
    identify the offending device by process of elimination.

    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Cheers - Simon.
    Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
    64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
    For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

    Simon Meacham, May 14, 2006
  11. Well, not no limits ever. Just a whole lot larger. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2006
  12. Quite :) To clarify, there's a "hard limit" of 256Mb of NPP in 32 bit
    Windows which is the absolute max of NPP.

    In x64 there's no hard limit in theory, it's a calculation based on the
    amount of total available RAM. On my x64 desktop, for example, with 1Gb
    RAM/1.7Gb VRAM, process explorer reports 430Mb NPP limit.

    Simon Meacham, May 15, 2006
  13. Well, eventually you'll hit a hard limit - after all, the OS only has access
    to 8 TB of virtual memory address space. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2006