    The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
    works as it should.

    How do I go about resolving this problem?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=, Sep 27, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    It might help someone if you said what system is giving you problems. You
    identified the one that works.

    John Barnes, Sep 27, 2007

  3. Mick:
    In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
    1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
    state?
    2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
    which aren't?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 27, 2007
  4. "Carlos" wrote:

    > Mick:
    > In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
    > 1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
    > state?
    > 2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
    > which aren't?
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Mick" wrote:
    >
    > > Hbernate / shutdown both appear to shut all devices down but the PC remains
    > > running.
    > > This has worked before but doesn't anymore and I've been unable to identify
    > > exactly what changed to cause the error.
    > >
    > > The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
    > > works as it should.
    > >
    > > How do I go about resolving this problem?

    sorry John If I wasn't clear.. ... it's the 64 bit Vista Ultimate version
    that doesn't work.

    Carlos At shut down, all the usb devices power down, disks monitors etc but
    the fans stay running.. and the PC is still using some 200W of power. (quad
    processor)

    When going to hibernation I get a critical event 41 Kernel-Power entry.
    The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if
    the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep
    transition.

    I tried disconneting all USB devices (those that I can) and it still fails.

    It's been to long for a system restore.. I don't use hibernate that much..

    I was wondering if there was someway of rebuilding the APCI interface?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Mick:
    Twice in my life I was left with rotating fans after going to sleep.
    1.- One was a BIOS setting related to power. I had to select S3 or S3+POS in
    order to enable a deep sleep state.
    2.- The other time was with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I had to disable
    (uncheck) their ability to wake up the PC. Go to Device Manager, click on
    both devices, choose Properties, Power Management and uncheck that setting.
    Hope that helps.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 28, 2007
  6. "Carlos" wrote:

    > Mick:
    > Twice in my life I was left with rotating fans after going to sleep.
    > 1.- One was a BIOS setting related to power. I had to select S3 or S3+POS in
    > order to enable a deep sleep state.
    > 2.- The other time was with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I had to disable
    > (uncheck) their ability to wake up the PC. Go to Device Manager, click on
    > both devices, choose Properties, Power Management and uncheck that setting.
    > Hope that helps.
    > Carlos

    Thanks Carlos... I did as you suggested and it's still failing to switch off
    completly.

    It's got to be a software problem.
    Maybe SP1 will fix it when it's released.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFrZXIxNzE=?=, Oct 4, 2007
  7. I de-installed KB940105 which resolved my problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFrZXIxNzE=?=, Nov 2, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for reporting back.