    Thanks
    -Nate

    , Jun 27, 2007

  2. Aye it works, the Captain Says state your purpose here.

    Capt. Barbossa, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Nate Guest

    On Jun 27, 10:03 am, wrote:
    > I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
    > email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
    > and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
    > message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
    > doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Nate

    Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
    get the group emails through my POP email application.

    Thanks again
    -Nate

    Nate, Jun 27, 2007
  4. I wasn't even aware one could get newsgroups through pop.

    Capt. Barbossa, Jun 27, 2007
  5. Paul Guest

    Nate wrote:
    > On Jun 27, 10:03 am, wrote:
    >> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
    >> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
    >> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
    >> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
    >> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> -Nate

    > Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
    > get the group emails through my POP email application.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > -Nate

    You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
    A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.

    In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
    page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
    page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.

    http://news.aioe.org/

    Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
    post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
    you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
    download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
    people, not downloading DVDs.

    The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
    I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
    efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
    swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
    what I use.

    And alt.test is where test news postings go.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 27, 2007
  6. Nate Guest

    On Jun 27, 11:15 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > Nate wrote:
    > > On Jun 27, 10:03 am, wrote:
    > >> I just signed up, and I'm trying to get this newsgroup through my POP
    > >> email. I've got Gmail set up to go to POP (thunderbird, in this case),
    > >> and I tried putting in the newsgroup name as "alt.computer". Now this
    > >> message will see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. If it
    > >> doesnt' work, then I'm gonna need some help

    > >> Thanks
    > >> -Nate

    > > Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
    > > get the group emails through my POP email application.

    > > Thanks again
    > > -Nate

    > You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
    > A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.
    >
    > In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
    > page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
    > page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.
    >
    > http://news.aioe.org/
    >
    > Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
    > post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
    > you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
    > download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
    > people, not downloading DVDs.
    >
    > The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
    > I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
    > efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
    > swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
    > what I use.
    >
    > And alt.test is where test news postings go.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks a lot, Paul. I really needed that.

    Nate, Jun 27, 2007
  7. Nate Guest

    Nate wrote:
    > On Jun 27, 11:15 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Nate wrote:
    >>> Ok, so it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas? Like I said, I want to
    >>> get the group emails through my POP email application.
    >>> Thanks again
    >>> -Nate

    >> You can use a real newsgroup server and read all the messages there.
    >> A tiny icon on the screen, marks the threads you have participated in.
    >>
    >> In Thunderbird, open a new account and set it up for newsgroups. See this
    >> page for free newsgroup access. Use one of the options listed on this
    >> page, as the "server" to use, when setting up your new account.
    >>
    >> http://news.aioe.org/
    >>
    >> Once you connect to aioe.org , subscribe to alt.computer . Now you can
    >> post and read newsgroup postings. There is a limit as to how many postings
    >> you can make a day with this account. It is not an "all you can eat"
    >> download server. It is intended for text messages and communicating with
    >> people, not downloading DVDs.
    >>
    >> The uptime of this server is not 100%, but what do you expect for free.
    >> I don't think there is really a team maintaining it, and it is mainly the
    >> efforts of one person. Still, when my ISP shut down our local server, I
    >> swore I would not pay one additional dime for USENET access. This is
    >> what I use.
    >>
    >> And alt.test is where test news postings go.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks a lot, Paul. I really needed that.

    Alright, here it is. It worked perfectly

    Nate, Jun 27, 2007