    Also ordered a batch of Taiyo Yudden DVD-R 16X and slim double-DVD cases to
    get started. Just wanted to say "Hi", and that I appreciate the good
    information you'all provide.

    def456, Jan 30, 2007

  2. def456

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    def456 <> wrote:
    > I've been reading this NG for several days and found it very informative.
    > I've used VHS and S-VHS tapes for many years to backup my movie collection,
    > but it seems time to switch to DVDs. Free seems good softwarewise, so I've
    > zeroed in on DVD Shrink and DVDFab Decrypter as likely to do the job I want.
    > Also ordered a batch of Taiyo Yudden DVD-R 16X and slim double-DVD cases to
    > get started. Just wanted to say "Hi", and that I appreciate the good
    > information you'all provide.

    You're just getting into DVD now? Better late than never, I guess...
    Welcome to the group.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 30, 2007

  3. def456

    RobMac Guest

    "def456" <> wrote in message
    > I've been reading this NG for several days and found it very informative.
    > I've used VHS and S-VHS tapes for many years to backup my movie
    > collection,
    > but it seems time to switch to DVDs. Free seems good softwarewise, so I've
    > zeroed in on DVD Shrink and DVDFab Decrypter as likely to do the job I
    > want.
    > Also ordered a batch of Taiyo Yudden DVD-R 16X and slim double-DVD cases
    > get started. Just wanted to say "Hi", and that I appreciate the good
    > information you'all provide.

    HI

    RobMac, Jan 30, 2007
  4. def456

    ThePunisher Guest

    "def456" <> wrote in message
    > I've been reading this NG for several days and found it very
    > informative. I've used VHS and S-VHS tapes for many years to backup
    > my movie collection, but it seems time to switch to DVDs. Free seems
    > good softwarewise, so I've zeroed in on DVD Shrink and DVDFab
    > Decrypter as likely to do the job I want. Also ordered a batch of
    > Taiyo Yudden DVD-R 16X and slim double-DVD cases to get started. Just
    > wanted to say "Hi", and that I appreciate the good information
    > you'all provide.

    So all these years 'backing up' your collection how many times have you
    needed the backups?

    --
    ThePunisher

    ThePunisher, Jan 31, 2007
  5. def456

    def456 Guest

    > So all these years 'backing up' your collection how many times have you
    > needed the backups?

    All of the time. I use the backups, not the originals. :)
    Starting last summer I've played through all of my movies (about 400) and am
    just now getting to the end. Some of the VHS tapes are 10 years old. A fair
    percentage (maybe 25%-50%) have glitches in them now. Most are still
    watchable but they're losing quality and I doubt they'll survive for another
    10 years. High time to transfer the good ones that remain to DVD, and record
    all future backups on DVD.

    def456, Feb 1, 2007
  6. def456

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Stbwh.513$>, "def456" <> wrote:
    >> So all these years 'backing up' your collection how many times have you
    >> needed the backups?

    >All of the time. I use the backups, not the originals. :)
    >Starting last summer I've played through all of my movies (about 400) and am
    >just now getting to the end. Some of the VHS tapes are 10 years old. A fair
    >percentage (maybe 25%-50%) have glitches in them now. Most are still
    >watchable but they're losing quality and I doubt they'll survive for another
    >10 years. High time to transfer the good ones that remain to DVD, and record
    >all future backups on DVD.

    More than likely its not the tapes going bad but the vcr's heads.

    GMAN, Feb 1, 2007
  7. def456

    def456 Guest

    > More than likely its not the tapes going bad but the vcr's heads.

    I have several VCRs hooked up and active in my video system. I'm familiar
    with each of them and their history. Some of the heads are getting worn but
    they still play/record OK after a cleaning. Also with several active VCRs
    available, it's easy enough to pop the tape into a different VCR to confirm
    a particular glitch.

    So I believe it's mostly the tapes at fault, in my case. I used cheap VHS
    tapes, the cheapest I could find, for my older recordings. Most still play
    but with glitches. Even after I switched to better quality tapes, there are
    still some glitches in the recordings, even fairly recent ones. My
    motivation to switch to DVDs is based on those observations. Hopefully DVDs
    will be more reliable.

    def456, Feb 1, 2007