Hi, Very new newbie.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jason, May 30, 2008.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi all,

    I am a very new to IT, currently studding to wards MCDST and eventually
    MCSE. This is a complete career change for me, I have spent time in
    customer services, and as a professional driver (Heavy goods) so something
    totally new.

    What I would like to know is two things;

    1) How and what is the best way to get a career in IT with zero experience?
    (I have just passed CompTIA A+ certified IT Technician)

    2) Dose any one have any good tips on how to self study (which is what I am
    doing through a training company), where to look for technical information.
    etc, etc?

    Tips, advice, experiences are all welcome.

    thanks all for your support

    Jason

    p.s. if spelling is bad it's because I have a dyslexic key board. ko!!!!

    Jason, May 30, 2008

  2. Jason

    John R Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am a very new to IT, currently studding to wards MCDST and eventually
    > MCSE. This is a complete career change for me, I have spent time in
    > customer services, and as a professional driver (Heavy goods) so something
    > totally new.
    >
    > What I would like to know is two things;
    >
    > 1) How and what is the best way to get a career in IT with zero
    > experience? (I have just passed CompTIA A+ certified IT Technician)
    >
    > 2) Dose any one have any good tips on how to self study (which is what I
    > am doing through a training company), where to look for technical
    > information. etc, etc?
    >
    > Tips, advice, experiences are all welcome.
    >
    > thanks all for your support

    Hi Jason,

    First piece of advice I give to people who are thinking about entering IT...
    Run. Run as fast as you can. My son-in-law makes pretty good money
    delivering pizza, and my daughter does pretty well as a waitress. Why would
    you want to get into IT? The only time you hear from people is when they
    have a problem, and then they stand right behind you and watch your every
    move while you try to figure out how to politely tell them the problem is
    the short between the keyboard and ground. If you obtain your goal of MCSE,
    you'll spend most of your day reviewing log files, changing backup tapes,
    and just in general taking crap from everyone else in the company.
    Seriously! Plus, everything that you learn on your way to Microsoft
    certifications will only be used for the cert. Nobody uses Microsoft
    products for everything. So, you study Microsoft backup and get a job where
    they use Symantec Backup Exec. You'll study RRAS, and get a job where they
    use a Cisco VPN Concentrator. How many more examples do you want? Then of
    course, when you do actually have a great change or fix to the network, you
    can't do it during the day when people are actually using it, you have to
    install changes at midnight, or on weekends. If you're lucky, you'll have a
    test network to test on, otherwise you are testing overnight as well. (BTW,
    IT jobs typically aren't paid by the hour, the good ones anyway, and forget
    about OT pay).

    Well, if you're still reading this, you obviously aren't going to take that
    advice.

    I found that the MS Press books are pretty good. Here are a couple links to
    the MCDST series...

    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/8796.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/8771.aspx

    Cybex and a few others make good training books as well.

    As to where to find things... http://search.support.microsoft.com,
    http://technet.microsoft.com, etc.

    As to getting that first job... hmmm, that's a toughie. Your first job will
    most likely be an entry level position, maybe working desktop helpdesk or
    network assistant, something like that. You'll find it probably won't pay
    what you want. Once you 'pay your dues', like every other career, then the
    money starts to increase. You may even consider volunteering for a
    non-profit organization, or an internship just to get something to put on
    your resume. We've had a few of those at my company that we did hire after
    a couple years.

    And of course, you're going to hear 'Certifications are about experience'.
    While this is true, you will find that more and more employers are looking
    for certifications as qualifications for entry level positions. A real
    catch-22.

    I setup a home lab with a server and two clients. Initially, I had three
    machines. Now, I just have one good machine with a couple virtual PCs.
    Look into VirtualPC. It is a free product from Microsoft and can help cut
    down on expenses. As I went through the books, I did every exercise in
    them. I dreamed up scenarios and made them work (for example, sharing files
    and printers between domain and non-domain machines on separate subnets).
    My studying was more for the certification tests than for training however.
    I had lots of experience prior to taking my first test. I actually started
    as an applications programmer and slowly moved into IT over a long period of
    time (about 10 years). Your mileage may vary.

    Good luck to you, whatever road you choose.

    John R

    John R, May 30, 2008

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi John R.

    Thanks for your post,

    Pizza delivery, waitresing are those not the same things as IT, people only
    want you when they need or want somthing. Both can be pressured jobs,
    people moaning that their pizza is 1 nano second over the 30min deliver time
    and wanting somthing for nothing, and to complain at the waitress when they
    find that the "clean" fork still has the last persons dinner still attached
    to it whilst your getting desert for the other tables. None of us are
    appreciated no matter what career we chose, its just the satisfaction that
    the career we do chose gives us this satisfaction knowing that with out us
    their computer wont work, they wont be able to get pizza, or be able to moan
    at that poor waitress.

    I have the MS Press book already, it is what the training company sent out.
    I have book marked the 2 links you gave, thanks
    Ill have a look at virtual PC,sounds like it could be a usefull tool.

    thanks again

    Jason, May 30, 2008
  4. Jason

    John R Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John R.
    >
    > Thanks for your post,
    >
    > Pizza delivery, waitresing are those not the same things as IT, people
    > only want you when they need or want somthing.

    When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard? :)

    Besides, most of the time, people are happy to get their pizza, or their
    order. In IT, once you resolve their issue, most of the time they grumble
    at you that it took so long, or that they 'never should have had the issue
    to begin with if they had a "real" IT staff'.

    I shouldn't be so negative, I can remember that one time that someone said
    'Thank you'.

    (No, I'm not having a bad day, just making light fun of the job)

    John R

    John R, May 30, 2008
  5. Jason

    CBIC Guest

    > When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard? :)

    When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
    options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
    working for the wrong company.

    CBIC, May 30, 2008
  6. Jason

    John R Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard? :)
    >>

    > When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
    > options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
    > working for the wrong company.

    <Bends to one knee in recognition of your stock optioness>

    And, yes, you are correct, I am ;)

    John R

    John R, May 30, 2008
  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    " When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
    options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
    working for the wrong company."

    The only time they have stock options is when they decided what bottle of
    wine to take home with them at the end of their shift.....

    Jason, May 30, 2008
  8. Jason

    Ed Hall Guest

    Hi Jason,

    For your MCDST study, Microsoft allows access to a free e-learning course
    which may help:
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=26272

    This is not suitable on it's own (they have other courses for studying for
    271 and 272 from scratch), but combined with your MS Press books will be
    great.

    All the best, Ed.

    Ed Hall, Jun 25, 2008
  9. Jason