    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...

    (on google video)

    , Sep 21, 2006

  2. Fred Lebow Guest

    Great stuff!!

    Fred
    Fred Lebow

    --

    Fred Lebow, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Phil Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > film short, in the old
    > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be
    >
    > somewhat surreal, so the story is a bit dream-like/nightmarish. It is
    > very simple - no elaborate special effects. Basically because I
    > couldn't. With no budget. Everything was shot on my old camcorder,
    > and edited on my home computer. So what you think.
    >
    > http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2769762
    > (on ifilm)
    >
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...
    >

    > (on google video)

    Your directing, composition, and use of the frame is superb. Keep up
    the great work.

    Phil, Sep 22, 2006
  4. ~Echo Guest

    Well done!!!

    ~Echo, Sep 22, 2006
  5. brianorion Guest

    brianorion, Sep 22, 2006
  6. Helen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > film short, in the old
    > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be

    Very impressive, very Hitchcockian.

    Helen.
    (Just getting into video, Canon XM2, Vegas, all that good stuff. Fun.)

    Helen, Sep 22, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > film short, in the old
    > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be
    >
    > somewhat surreal, so the story is a bit dream-like/nightmarish. It is
    > very simple - no elaborate special effects. Basically because I
    > couldn't. With no budget. Everything was shot on my old camcorder,
    > and edited on my home computer. So what you think.
    >
    > http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2769762
    > (on ifilm)
    >
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...

    I think it's a fine piece. But the credits show 2004- did you re cut it
    since then?

    The only critique is that the music, while nicely paced and well done,
    doesn't seem 50's or even 60's to me. Too sophisticated!

    Thanks for posting this.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 22, 2006
  8. Guest

    Thanks for all the great feedback! I really appreciate it! Really I
    do! :) I have had a number of comments on the music. So let me
    explain why I chose that piece. One I want something that had a French
    feel to it. I felt the accordian in the music gave it a very French
    smoky feel. Yet I still wanted it to be a modern take on the old noir
    style, so I picked a more modern musically style. The music is sort of
    a blending of 21st century electronica, with 40's-50's french sound.
    Like someone remixed and old 78 record. :) So I thought it felt
    right. The pace of the music felt right, it had sort of a mysterious
    "dark" sound. The french overtones were there, but it still felt
    modern. Almost neo-noir, if you will. I also was hoping to make the
    statement that you can still shoot something with no special effects,
    and just unique camera-play and create something "interesting" to
    watch. I understand someoneone else might have done something
    different musically. But that pieces of music, actually was the
    inspiration for my film. It the vision I saw in my head when I heard
    it. (my mind's personal music video) I was standing in a store, heard
    that song, and instantly knew I had to put it to film. What I thought
    was great, is since I have no expensive sound equipment, (just the mic
    on the videocamera) dialog would have been out of the question. It
    would have made it feel like a cheap home movie. (even though in the
    end that is what it was, hehehe) So by doing it to the musical piece -
    I felt its covered over some of that inherant low budgetness. In some
    respects I filmed it somewhat using the technics I had seen in some
    silent movies. But instead of still "cards" with dialog, I used the
    gimmick of written notes, to enhance the plot. Anyway I'm rambling.
    In the end, the films genesis came from that particular song. And I
    tried to make my film look like, and feel like that song come to life.
    The essence of it. Filmed in the present, but filled with the past.
    Like the song was. Recorder in the present, but obviously sampling
    music of the past. Anyway, that was my creative process in choosing
    the sound. Thanks again for the input! It was hard using my old sony
    camcorder. I had to play around with it a bit to make it look a little
    more gainy like film. Video always look too clean. Especially old
    videocameras. But its was the best i could do with no money, and just
    an idea. In fact the whole first half was me just filming myself alone
    in my bathroom. :) In fact the hand in the tub, is me too, wearing a
    rubber glove. hehehehe But in the piece, obviously it is suppose to
    be someone else. A friend saw the first 2 minutes I had done, and
    wanted to know how it ended. I said, I haven't finished it. So he
    said "you need to" That's what got me to finish the whole thing.

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > > film short, in the old
    > > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be
    > >
    > > somewhat surreal, so the story is a bit dream-like/nightmarish. It is
    > > very simple - no elaborate special effects. Basically because I
    > > couldn't. With no budget. Everything was shot on my old camcorder,
    > > and edited on my home computer. So what you think.
    > >
    > > http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2769762
    > > (on ifilm)
    > >
    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...

    > I think it's a fine piece. But the credits show 2004- did you re cut it
    > since then?
    >
    > The only critique is that the music, while nicely paced and well done,
    > doesn't seem 50's or even 60's to me. Too sophisticated!
    >
    > Thanks for posting this.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    , Sep 26, 2006
  9. Guest

    Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out! :)
    Fred Lebow wrote:
    > Great stuff!!
    >
    > Fred
    > Fred Lebow
    >
    > --
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > > film short, in the old
    > > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be
    > >
    > > somewhat surreal, so the story is a bit dream-like/nightmarish. It is
    > > very simple - no elaborate special effects. Basically because I
    > > couldn't. With no budget. Everything was shot on my old camcorder,
    > > and edited on my home computer. So what you think.
    > >
    > > http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2769762
    > > (on ifilm)
    > >
    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...
    > >

    > > (on google video)

    , Sep 26, 2006
  10. Guest

    That's everything I was trying to achive! :) Thank you so much. I
    really didn't think anyone would even watch it. I know today
    everything is about how much money you spend, or the special effects.
    I think alot of film makers forget the basics. The basics of
    film/photography. I was hoping to capture some of that. :)

    Phil wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have been experimenting with no-budget filmmaking. I made a little
    > > film short, in the old
    > > expressionist/noir style of the past. Check it out. Its suppose to be
    > >
    > > somewhat surreal, so the story is a bit dream-like/nightmarish. It is
    > > very simple - no elaborate special effects. Basically because I
    > > couldn't. With no budget. Everything was shot on my old camcorder,
    > > and edited on my home computer. So what you think.
    > >
    > > http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2769762
    > > (on ifilm)
    > >
    > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1408011242841406660&q=brief ...
    > >

    > > (on google video)

    > Your directing, composition, and use of the frame is superb. Keep up
    > the great work.

    , Sep 26, 2006
  11. Guest

    Wow! Let me tell you he has been my favorite director since I was
    about 8. I saw psycho at that time, and it scared me silly. But I was
    in love with his film ever since. There could be no greater compliment
    for me, then to be have achived even remotely the feel of his work.
    His use of the camera was amazing. And I have always been in awe of
    it. Thank you again!

  12. Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Sep 27, 2006
  13. Guest