hi guys

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. i am a programmer analyst working on windows applictions with 65% vb.net and
    rest c#. i have been working like this for about 2 years now. i am looking to
    do my mcsd 1.1 as i am working on visual studio 2003. i think later on after
    my mcsd i can upgrade to dotnet 2.0.
    Confused about which exam to give first. i was planning to give 70-300 first
    then windows application and then web applications and then the rest. any
    suggestions if that is a good thought.
    also was wondering if i should take vb.net or c# dotnet.
    i am planning to finish up my mcsd before december. is that an achievable
    goal. ofcourse i am working full time. with regards to my knowledge, i am not
    good knowledgeable with dotnet. i was mcsd with vb6.0.

    any thoughts ideas suggestions welcome.
    larrywest keepup the good work.

    munika
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=, Jul 6, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    Hey Munika,

    You can take the exams in any order you feel comfortable with. There
    is no order prescribed by MS. There is however a recommended order
    according in which most aspirants take their exams. This order is
    recommended because in this way, you start with the easiest and each
    exam builds upon your knowledge and equips you better for the next
    exam too, because there is a certain amount of intersection among the
    exams.

    According to this order, you would take your MCAD exams first and take
    2 remaining exams to gain MCSD certification as well. 70-300 is
    usually kept for the last by most aspirants because it a purely
    theoretical exam

    The order in which I took my exams:
    1. Windows Apps.
    2. Web Apps.
    3. XML Web services
    4. Any remaining Elective
    5. Solution Architectures (70-300)

    Which language you choose to take the exams in is again your personal
    preference.
     
    Cerebrus, Jul 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thankyou very much cerebrus.
    I think that is right i should start with mcad and then go with mcsd.
    windows apps is the best thing to start i think.
    thankyou very much.

    i think ill try c#.
    how much time do u think a starter with dotnet should take to complete
    windows apps exam, so i can time myself.

    munika


    "Cerebrus" wrote:

    > Hey Munika,
    >
    > You can take the exams in any order you feel comfortable with. There
    > is no order prescribed by MS. There is however a recommended order
    > according in which most aspirants take their exams. This order is
    > recommended because in this way, you start with the easiest and each
    > exam builds upon your knowledge and equips you better for the next
    > exam too, because there is a certain amount of intersection among the
    > exams.
    >
    > According to this order, you would take your MCAD exams first and take
    > 2 remaining exams to gain MCSD certification as well. 70-300 is
    > usually kept for the last by most aspirants because it a purely
    > theoretical exam
    >
    > The order in which I took my exams:
    > 1. Windows Apps.
    > 2. Web Apps.
    > 3. XML Web services
    > 4. Any remaining Elective
    > 5. Solution Architectures (70-300)
    >
    > Which language you choose to take the exams in is again your personal
    > preference.
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=, Jul 9, 2007
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    I thought your first post implied that you had been working on .NET
    for the past two years. I wouldn't say you're a "starter", if you have
    2 years of .NET experience !! :)

    The candid answer to your question about preparation time would be :
    It depends. On what, you ask ?

    ~ On how much time you are able to devote each day
    ~ On what all resources you intend to study from
    ~ On how many cycles of "study - self test - study" you intend to go
    through
    ~ On your assimilative power, memory, comprehension and reading speed

    That's just mentioning a few factors. As you can see the answer is
    subjective. ;-)

    On a side note, since you are familiar with both VB.NET and VC#, you
    could give a few exams in one and the rest in another language. I did
    so at my time (2 exams in VB.NET and 2 exams in VC#), just to prove to
    myself that I was equally proficient in both languages.

    On Jul 9, 7:04 pm, Munika <> wrote:

    > how much time do u think a starter with dotnet should take to complete
    > windows apps exam, so i can time myself.
    >
    > munika
     
    Cerebrus, Jul 10, 2007
    #4
  5. "Cerebrus" wrote:

    > I thought your first post implied that you had been working on .NET
    > for the past two years. I wouldn't say you're a "starter", if you have
    > 2 years of .NET experience !! :)


    Agreed - Two years of .Net experience should be enough for the exams. It
    doesn't matter what language as the exams do not test the language syntax --
    it assumes you already know the languages and only tests how they relate to
    the .Net Framework.

    > The candid answer to your question about preparation time would be :
    > It depends. On what, you ask ?
    > ~ On how much time you are able to devote each day
    > ~ On what all resources you intend to study from
    > ~ On how many cycles of "study - self test - study" you intend to go
    > through
    > ~ On your assimilative power, memory, comprehension and reading speed
    > That's just mentioning a few factors. As you can see the answer is
    > subjective. ;-)


    True, I average about two months per exam, based on about 2 hours per day of
    reading books and copied MSDN pages on the bus commuting and perhaps 3-4
    hours on weekends playing with the software (plus work experience), so my
    total is roughly 100-120 hours per exam [although the bus is not really
    condusive to quality study]. Lately I've been only taking exams when I get
    free or low-cost vouchers. I took five in June, passed four of them and got a
    676 on the fifth, on which I spent less than two weeks studying for.

    > On a side note, since you are familiar with both VB.NET and VC#, you
    > could give a few exams in one and the rest in another language. I did
    > so at my time (2 exams in VB.NET and 2 exams in VC#), just to prove to
    > myself that I was equally proficient in both languages.


    Same here. One of my pet peeves with the .Net Framework 2.0 exams is that
    you can't prove to a prospective employer that you took two exams in C#, two
    exams in VB.NET and one exam in C++, like you could with the .Net Framework
    1.x exams (70-305=VB vs. 70-315=C#, for example).

    > On Jul 9, 7:04 pm, Munika <> wrote:
    > > how much time do u think a starter with dotnet should take to complete
    > > windows apps exam, so i can time myself.
    > >
    > > munika

    >

    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x5, MOUS, FLMI, ACS and probably
    RSCSE :)
    * always open to after-hours telecommute (second job) positions.
    * developing personal computer software since before the PC.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Jul 10, 2007
    #5
  6. perfect guys.
    first of all let me thank you for all the good replies.

    yeah i have been working for more than 2 years in dotnet but not much of
    remoting and threads and all. mostly forms for the last 2 years have been
    working with gui forms and some coding. my main aim is also to learn other
    features for dotnet which is not being utilized at my current company. like
    remoting, threading, asp.net and other. i am really so much interested in
    dotnet.

    Time :-
    i am going to push my self to finish mcsd by december last week of this
    year. yes i am working full time. but i think my first priority for the next
    6 months should be exams. lets see how can i push myself. my employer has put
    down a condition that i should finish my mcsd as soon as possible and he is
    willing to compensate me for the money spend on exams. so i think this is th
    etime to do it. what do u guys say.


    thankyou again
    munika


    "LarryWestMCSD" wrote:

    > "Cerebrus" wrote:
    >
    > > I thought your first post implied that you had been working on .NET
    > > for the past two years. I wouldn't say you're a "starter", if you have
    > > 2 years of .NET experience !! :)

    >
    > Agreed - Two years of .Net experience should be enough for the exams. It
    > doesn't matter what language as the exams do not test the language syntax --
    > it assumes you already know the languages and only tests how they relate to
    > the .Net Framework.
    >
    > > The candid answer to your question about preparation time would be :
    > > It depends. On what, you ask ?
    > > ~ On how much time you are able to devote each day
    > > ~ On what all resources you intend to study from
    > > ~ On how many cycles of "study - self test - study" you intend to go
    > > through
    > > ~ On your assimilative power, memory, comprehension and reading speed
    > > That's just mentioning a few factors. As you can see the answer is
    > > subjective. ;-)

    >
    > True, I average about two months per exam, based on about 2 hours per day of
    > reading books and copied MSDN pages on the bus commuting and perhaps 3-4
    > hours on weekends playing with the software (plus work experience), so my
    > total is roughly 100-120 hours per exam [although the bus is not really
    > condusive to quality study]. Lately I've been only taking exams when I get
    > free or low-cost vouchers. I took five in June, passed four of them and got a
    > 676 on the fifth, on which I spent less than two weeks studying for.
    >
    > > On a side note, since you are familiar with both VB.NET and VC#, you
    > > could give a few exams in one and the rest in another language. I did
    > > so at my time (2 exams in VB.NET and 2 exams in VC#), just to prove to
    > > myself that I was equally proficient in both languages.

    >
    > Same here. One of my pet peeves with the .Net Framework 2.0 exams is that
    > you can't prove to a prospective employer that you took two exams in C#, two
    > exams in VB.NET and one exam in C++, like you could with the .Net Framework
    > 1.x exams (70-305=VB vs. 70-315=C#, for example).
    >
    > > On Jul 9, 7:04 pm, Munika <> wrote:
    > > > how much time do u think a starter with dotnet should take to complete
    > > > windows apps exam, so i can time myself.
    > > >
    > > > munika

    > >

    > --
    > Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x5, MOUS, FLMI, ACS and probably
    > RSCSE :)
    > * always open to after-hours telecommute (second job) positions.
    > * developing personal computer software since before the PC.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=, Jul 16, 2007
    #6
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TXVuaWth?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    On Jul 17, 2:12 am, Munika <> wrote:
    > perfect guys.


    Lol, I wish my girl had the same opinion about me. ;-)

    > my employer has put
    > down a condition that i should finish my mcsd as soon as possible and he is
    > willing to compensate me for the money spend on exams. so i think this is th
    > etime to do it. what do u guys say.


    I'd be very interested to know what kind of condition your employer
    has imposed, which has pressured you to complete your MCSD in such a
    short time. We have been discussing this very issue at <http://
    www.certguard.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=222>, so I invite you to
    browse the thread and post your own experience there.
     
    Cerebrus, Jul 25, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?emFycmFyIGF0aGFuZ2Fs?=

    How to make good loking demos for new guys to computer

    =?Utf-8?B?emFycmFyIGF0aGFuZ2Fs?=, Nov 1, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    =?Utf-8?B?emFycmFyIGF0aGFuZ2Fs?=
    Nov 1, 2004
  2. Neonrh
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    859
    Tom Helms
    Jul 3, 2003
  3. V
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    723
  4. Doc Martian
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    691
    Larry G
    Mar 23, 2006
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    549
    Pete D
    Dec 23, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page