    so57th Guest

    How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    so57th, Oct 26, 2005

  2. so57th

    Richard C. Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    > DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    ==========================
    Why?
    LD, as a rule, were MUCH cheaper than the VHS versions.
    Most new VHS releases were $80 to $120
    =========================

    Richard C., Oct 26, 2005

  3. so57th

    Goro Guest

    so57th wrote:
    > How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    > DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    I can't imagine that they'd sell for much more than $20. I think that
    is the mainstream acceptance pricepoint and that if they (standard Non
    Uber Deluxe editions, i mean) are priced much higher, I think they
    won't sell well.

    In fact, although b/c of early manufacturing costs, the first
    generations of HD/BR disc should be more expensive than current DVDs, I
    think they ought to consider loss-leadng them at BELOW current DVD
    prices to encourage adoption.

    I mean, one of the MAIN reasons I jumped from LD to DVD as an early
    adopter was b/c DVDs were priced substantially lower than the LD.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 26, 2005
  4. so57th

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I can't imagine that they'd sell for much more than $20. I think that
    > is the mainstream acceptance pricepoint and that if they (standard Non
    > Uber Deluxe editions, i mean) are priced much higher, I think they
    > won't sell well.

    Since there is so much disc space (relatively), I suspect we will see a
    lot more double-dipping than now (since adding a few features generally
    won't involve a second disc), and that might keep "movie-only" edition
    prices lower.

    We also might see something like "Superbit" if the studios really get
    nasty and start out with something like 1440x1080/60i (non-square pixels)
    for the first release, and then 1920x1080/60p for the "ultimate" edition.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "You keep using that word. I do not think it

    Jeff Rife, Oct 26, 2005
  5. so57th

    Goro Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > I can't imagine that they'd sell for much more than $20. I think that
    > > is the mainstream acceptance pricepoint and that if they (standard Non
    > > Uber Deluxe editions, i mean) are priced much higher, I think they
    > > won't sell well.

    > Since there is so much disc space (relatively), I suspect we will see a
    > lot more double-dipping than now (since adding a few features generally
    > won't involve a second disc), and that might keep "movie-only" edition
    > prices lower.
    >
    > We also might see something like "Superbit" if the studios really get
    > nasty and start out with something like 1440x1080/60i (non-square pixels)
    > for the first release, and then 1920x1080/60p for the "ultimate" edition.

    You speak sense. I'm sure the studios are actively looking for some
    sort of inherent upgradeability/programmed obsolesence a la
    Anamorphic/Non-Anamorphic DVDs.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 26, 2005
  6. so57th

    LOS Guest

    Regarding price point on initial release of either HD/BD format...we're
    looking at something very close to existing pricing. Even though BD
    will cost more for MFG's to produce...they will price themselves out of
    the market at a higher price point. HD on the other hand, from an MFG
    perspective, costs alot less to produce. Considering the format war
    and where both parties stand....very soon (2 weeks or less) we'll see a
    consolidation regarding differences in physical format. That can do 2
    things...1>less of a choice from the consumer level to "early" adopt;
    2>Early uptake by Content Providers and MFG's to get the show on the
    road. If you've seen HD or BD you know they are amazing...just a
    couple of issues to "iron out" regarding content management and HD
    features but we're close. Best case, we have an agreement (like DVD)
    to go forward with one format...ya, at the end of the day...someone
    will have to give concessions on royalties but that's the case most of
    the time with situations like this. Good news though...we (as
    consumers) will benefit from these higher capacity optical discs in the
    marketplace. Hell, I know I'll buy an HD/BD...or HD...or BD....player
    when it's available!!!!

    LOS, Oct 27, 2005
  7. so57th

    Goro Guest

    LOS wrote:
    *snip*

    > consumers) will benefit from these higher capacity optical discs in the
    > marketplace. Hell, I know I'll buy an HD/BD...or HD...or BD....player
    > when it's available!!!!

    Will you buy it regardless of any "features" put into place?

    Some of the DRM features that Sony is set to use are things that are
    pushing me away from it and i DESPERATELY want a HD disc player. An
    internet connection required? REgion coding and potentially the
    machine shutting down if it is region-freed? No fair use copying?
    (although the HP request to allow for this is a step in the right
    direction). MS Windows not supporting BR? I like to make MKVs out of
    many of my TV Eps DVDs and keep them on my laptop for plane trips,etc.

    I WANT to buy into ti and when they release, but really there's no
    "killer app" for me to dive in for a while.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 27, 2005
  8. so57th

    Rich Guest

    On 25 Oct 2005 22:11:35 -0700, "so57th" <> wrote:

    >How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    >DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    Blu-Ray $39.00
    HD-DVD $25.00

    Rich, Oct 27, 2005
  9. so57th

    LOS Guest

    *snip*

    >I WANT to buy into ti and when they release, but really there's no
    >"killer app" for me to dive in for a while.

    how good is good enough??? This sort of question is what might prevent
    huge uptake on this format.
    VHS/LD/DVD/HD/BD/Holographic.......from a consumer stand point...when
    does the picture get "good enough"???

    LOS, Oct 28, 2005
  10. so57th

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > On 25 Oct 2005 22:11:35 -0700, "so57th" <> wrote:
    >
    > >How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    > >DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    > Blu-Ray $39.00
    > HD-DVD $25.00

    BS FUD.

    poldy, Oct 31, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Goro <> wrote:

    >so57th wrote:
    >> How much will the Hi-Def DVDs cost? Will they keep making regular
    >> DVDs? I don't want to see a return to Laser Disc prices.

    >I can't imagine that they'd sell for much more than $20. I think that
    >is the mainstream acceptance pricepoint and that if they (standard Non
    >Uber Deluxe editions, i mean) are priced much higher, I think they
    >won't sell well.

    >In fact, although b/c of early manufacturing costs, the first
    >generations of HD/BR disc should be more expensive than current DVDs, I
    >think they ought to consider loss-leadng them at BELOW current DVD
    >prices to encourage adoption.

    >I mean, one of the MAIN reasons I jumped from LD to DVD as an early
    >adopter was b/c DVDs were priced substantially lower than the LD.

    When RCA dropped their CED system the LD prices went up a minimum
    of $5 each, most $10 each, and some higher. Competition was good
    for the consumer when it came to prices then.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Nov 14, 2005
  12. so57th

    Jordan Guest

    I paid $300 for the complete Star Wars on LaserDisc. Aliens was $125
    with bonus features. I can honestly say I don't want those days back
    either.

    The market has decided that $20 is a good price for a DVD, HD discs
    shouldn't be more than $30.

    - JOrdan

    Jordan, Nov 14, 2005