    has been somewhat busy, I guess it will take me a few days to read up on the
    'goings on'.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 15, 2008

  2. Glad to see you back, Tony.

    This isn't busy - just a nice steady flow. You want busy, try somewhere like
    the SBS group.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2008

  3. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Hi, Tony!
    Nice to have you back.
    Thought you were on vacation somewhere.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 15, 2008
  4. Thanks, Charlie - yes it's all relative, isn't it? But I did think the
    accumulation level was a bit steeper than when I was so abruptly
    dismembered. (As a member of this here society!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 15, 2008
  5. Well, with a severed connection and the self-destructive motherboard not yet
    returned - I did see it fit to go away for five days. Did me a lot of good
    too.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 15, 2008
  6. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Yeah, what was the word for that thing you did?
    Ah, I've got it at the tip of my tong.
    Yes, it is called "living".
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 15, 2008
  7. Nobody've said it better, Carlos - one of those things that gets you hooked!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 15, 2008
  8. I actually think you're right, it has been higher. And a goodly number of
    those are Vista 64. Mostly folks thinking about it, or thinking about how to
    get out of it. ;) It's going to be interesting in the coming months. I
    think we're getting close to the point where x64 is a "normal" option for
    folks with a new PC, and they'll have to decide if they want to go that
    route. With typical mobos being capable of >4GB, it is forcing OEMs and
    users both into an area they've seemed to resist for the last 3 years.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2008
  9. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Now I wonder...
    How many years from now we will see ourselves discussing about x128 or x256
    OS's?
    :)
    Carlos

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> escribió en el
    mensaje de noticias

    Carlos, May 17, 2008
  10. Yeah, 32bit proc's isn't filling up the shelves much. Soon, nobody but the
    severely nostalgic will remember.

    Carlos makes a note about future development, I think the present transition
    period we are witnessing makes it likely that that there will not be 128bit
    CPU's for a long time - but I believe that the bottlenecks that remain will
    have to be addressed. I wonder if this might not mean that the 'SX'
    architecture will be abandoned and the old 'DX' architecture be resurrected
    in one fashion or other?

    Something surely must happen with general Bus Architecture when Flash drives
    replaces HD's!

    (Unless they have something totally 'other' in mind?)

    Tony. . .

    > I actually think you're right, it has been higher. And a goodly number of
    > those are Vista 64. Mostly folks thinking about it, or thinking about how

    > get out of it. ;) It's going to be interesting in the coming months. I
    > think we're getting close to the point where x64 is a "normal" option for
    > folks with a new PC, and they'll have to decide if they want to go that
    > route. With typical mobos being capable of >4GB, it is forcing OEMs and
    > users both into an area they've seemed to resist for the last 3 years.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Charlie - yes it's all relative, isn't it? But I did think the
    > > accumulation level was a bit steeper than when I was so abruptly
    > > dismembered. (As a member of this here society!)
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, May 17, 2008
  11. In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit cpus
    anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.

    By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state drives?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive

    Colin Barnhorst, May 17, 2008
  12. Yes, Solid State - sorry!

    Tony. . .

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > In fact the major system builders aren't building systems with 32bit cpus
    > anymore, with the possible exception of Core Duo cheapies.
    >
    > By flash drives replacing HDs are you referring to the solid state drives?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, 32bit proc's isn't filling up the shelves much. Soon, nobody but

    the
    > > severely nostalgic will remember.
    > >
    > > Carlos makes a note about future development, I think the present
    > > transition
    > > period we are witnessing makes it likely that that there will not be
    > > 128bit
    > > CPU's for a long time - but I believe that the bottlenecks that remain
    > > will
    > > have to be addressed. I wonder if this might not mean that the 'SX'
    > > architecture will be abandoned and the old 'DX' architecture be
    > > resurrected
    > > in one fashion or other?
    > >
    > > Something surely must happen with general Bus Architecture when Flash
    > > drives
    > > replaces HD's!
    > >
    > > (Unless they have something totally 'other' in mind?)
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, May 17, 2008
  13. Nothing to be sorry about. This is new stuff to the Windows world.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 17, 2008
  14. Somewhat true, but not quite - it's a trivial matter, but I had been reading
    an article about the matter in that same morning and I felt stupid and I bit
    my tongue (for which I'm sorry). . .

    Now to something completely different - the selfdestructive 64bit machine
    has finally been fixed. It's gotten a new MB, no questions asked! I was so
    pleased, I instantly ordered a 30" monitor to be delivered with it.

    Tuesday (or Wednesday) will be the day!

    Tony Sperling, May 18, 2008
  15. Congratulations! Sounds like a great resolution.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 18, 2008
  16. By the way, here are two examples of internal SSD drives.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183094 (typical but
    too small for a system drive)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609245 (sticker
    shock, anyone?)

    and this is an external (ExpressCard):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191058

    As the pricing suggests, SSD drives are in their infancy.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 18, 2008
  17. That's the biggest problem with them now. Also, they're not nearly as fast
    as one might hope, though still better than a HD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2008
  18. It will be a while till there's a compelling need for 128 bit CPUs. At this
    point, we're not even using all the possible memory address space - not even
    close. So there are clearly many ways they can grow beyond this without
    having to go to 128 bit. Which doesn't mean it won't happen, but I'd look
    for it more in the Itanium space. And not any time soon even there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2008
  19. To tell you the truth - on my way back home I nearly fell sick, thinking of
    the cost, but then I remembered buying my MAG 19" CRT four years ago and
    what that did to my work-space. At this time, and thinking of the recent
    development (and my age!), it seemed natural to bridge into the future now
    and buying a flat-screen today means having a wide-screen and having a
    wide-screen means that a 24" will give me a slightly smaller picture than my
    existing 19" VGA format. I know I would be severely depressed by that fact
    within a few days. So, 26" displays are extremely rare and extremely
    expensive for a relatively small size expansion and the 30" HP I ordered is
    a bit more expensive than those but also entails a noticeable enlargement
    that will eventually (I hope!) make up for the cost.

    The screen comes with calibrating software but no hardware (obviously), if
    someone happens to know:

    could I use a Web-Camera or a Digital Camera as a simple means of
    Calibrating Reference
    when I set up the display at my home? I have a Casio 7.2 MPx camera
    that can produce
    astonishingly natural pictures.

    Tony Sperling, May 18, 2008
  20. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    What does the calibrating software calibrate?
    Why would you want to calibrate the monitor?

    OTOH, my advice is that when you turn on your PC and are sitting in front of
    that jumbo monitor, you might want to fasten your seat belt not to be blown
    away by your rig.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 18, 2008