HHDs won't be able to modify partition name

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by zillah, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. zillah

    zillah

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2006
    Messages:
    39
    Dear Experts

    I am sick of this issue, I have been experiencing same issue in the thread below :

    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1546104

    I have got 4 hdds two IDEs (each one 40 GB to be used for storage purpose) and two SATAs (Seagate 500 GB and western digital 1 TB).

    SATA Seagate 500 GB has two NTFS partitions named as show below C name as ST_OS (for OS windows 7 ultimate 64 bit) and G named ST_STORAGE (for a storage purpose) I can rename them to whatever I like,,,,please see the snap shot below :

    http://i54.tinypic.com/kc10cw.png

    [​IMG]

    SATA western digital 1 TB has two NTFS partitions as well named F and J ,,,,, please see the snap shot above, whenever I (username that has admin privilege) rename (Right click properties then rename or through diskmgmt.msc tool to edit the drive name) those two partitions as below :

    http://i55.tinypic.com/28s7of7.png

    [​IMG]

    F --> WD_STORAGE1
    J --> WD_STORAGE1

    I won’t be able to see the names, only I see the letters ( i.e. F and J ) for them
    While when I access my computer through the ‘ Safe Mode’ (F8 boot process) I was able to see the name and letter for the SATA western digital 1 TB , please see the snap shot below :

    F --> WD_STORAGE1
    J --> WD_STORAGE1

    http://i55.tinypic.com/sebmrn.png

    [​IMG]

    I have shared those two partitions [ F --> WD_STORAGE1), J --> WD_STORAGE1 ] on my home network I can see names and letters on other computers that have those two partitions mounted to them (map network drive)

    Why am I experiencing this issue ?

    Do I need always to live with register editing

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120247-drive-name-change.html

    Thanks
    zillah, Mar 27, 2011