Hey Presto! - disappearing posts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lez Hammans, May 18, 2004.

  1. Lez Hammans

    Lez Hammans Guest

    Haven't had a lot to do with newsgroups so I'm probably doing something (if
    not everything!) wrong.

    I use Microsoft Outlook Newsreader.

    In the Folder pane on the left there are 'Local Folders' (containing Outbox,
    Sent Items etc.); blueyonder News (containing this Newsgroup, alt.computer
    etc.); microsoft News (containing microsoft.public.windowsme.display etc.);
    serif News (containing SerifPagePlus etc.)

    What I don't understand is why some newsgroup post headers will only go back
    3 days (today on alt. computer for example it shows 16th - 18th May,
    tomorrow it will only show 17th - 19th May) whereas on the SerifPagePlus
    newsgroup, headers go back 2 years (there are >11,000 of them!).

    Is this due to criteria created by the newsgroups themselves or is each
    newsgroup's criteria settable locally?

    It's particularly frustrating as the topics I'm trying to follow in the
    Maths and Computer newsgroups are the ones that disappear the quickest.

    I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.

    Lez

    Lez Hammans, May 18, 2004

  2. Lez Hammans

    Trent SC Guest

    The issue you're getting at is referred to as retention, and is controlled
    by the organisation that you go to for your news. So Blueyonder will have
    made a decision about how many days worth of posts they'll keep, as will
    Microsoft, Serif, and so on.

    If you want to see an archive of posts, go to Google and click on the Groups
    link.

    Trent SC, May 18, 2004

  3. Lez Hammans

    Stickems Guest

    Tools/Options/Maintenance/ untick the obvious

    Stickems, May 18, 2004
  4. Lez Hammans

    Lez Hammans Guest

    Great tip about Google, thanks.

    Lez Hammans, May 18, 2004
  5. Lez Hammans

    Lez Hammans Guest

    Thanks Stickems.

    Yeah I did that and even livened up the 'delete messages after...' option
    and elected for messages to be removed after 30 days.

    I think Trent SC's 'beyond my control' answer is probably right. 3 days
    doesn't seem very long though!

    Thanks again -

    Lez

    Lez Hammans, May 18, 2004