    being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    Some case.

    Henry, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Henry

    JohnR66 Guest

    " Henry" <> wrote in message
    news:F7F_e.1916$...
    > Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >
    > Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    > available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    > Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    > Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    > you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    > being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    > computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    > Some case.

    Total care means building your own PC. I've built my own for the last 10
    years. I pick and choose the parts and brands I know and trust. Never had a
    failure in all this time.
    JOhn

    JohnR66, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Henry

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    <> wrote:

    >Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >
    >Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    >because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >Some case.

    The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    They get what they deserve.
    -Rich

    Rich, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Henry

    Mark² Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>
    >> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    >> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    >> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    >> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    >> phone. Some case.
    >>

    > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > They get what they deserve.
    > -Rich

    Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    Rich.

    I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    :)

    Mark², Sep 29, 2005
  5. Henry

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    > >>
    > >> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    > >> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    > >> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    > >> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    > >> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    > >> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    > >> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    > >> phone. Some case.
    > >>

    > > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > > They get what they deserve.
    > > -Rich

    > Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    > than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    > Rich.
    >
    > I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    > reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    > Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    > time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    > :)

    Rich knows all. Unpleasant is just one word that comes to mind.

    For years, I assembled my own computers. Not all that big a deal, but
    it eats time and takes desk space. Now, I buy from Dell. They're not
    perfect, but so far, so good (a bit over two years into this system).
    The price is a little higher than the components would be for a
    home-built system, but...the warranty on the whole unit works (though
    th eonly failure has been the CD burner). I didn't have to spend hours
    updating my knowledge of vairous bits and pieces in order to make sure
    all the cables were correct, the bits would work together, etc.

    I've got other things to do with my time, things that are of more
    interest to me. I don't denigrate those who choose to assemble their
    own, particularly since I did five systems over the years, but it's not
    really a major skill. Order from catalogs or buy locally. Bring it
    home. Sit down and look it over. Put it together. Plug it in and follow
    some fairly simple steps. Bingo. New computer. Time invested: six or
    eight hours. My way: go through the Dell listings, order what I want
    and ignore what I don't, type the order in, sit back and wait (or go
    shoot photos, which I far prefer). Two or three days later the system
    arrives, is hooked up, and is running. Time invested: 45 minutes, max,
    including selection and ordering time as well as set up.

    Rich figures I'm a loser. I hope, by his standards, to remain one.

    Charlie Self, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Henry

    Scott Chapin Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    > >>
    > >> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    > >> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    > >> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    > >> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    > >> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    > >> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    > >> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    > >> phone. Some case.
    > >>

    > > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > > They get what they deserve.
    > > -Rich

    > Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    > than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant

    individual,
    > Rich.
    >
    > I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    > reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    > Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too

    little
    > time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    > :)

    Rich knows all. Unpleasant is just one word that comes to mind.

    For years, I assembled my own computers. Not all that big a deal, but
    it eats time and takes desk space. Now, I buy from Dell. They're not
    perfect, but so far, so good (a bit over two years into this system).
    The price is a little higher than the components would be for a
    home-built system, but...the warranty on the whole unit works (though
    th eonly failure has been the CD burner). I didn't have to spend hours
    updating my knowledge of vairous bits and pieces in order to make sure
    all the cables were correct, the bits would work together, etc.

    I've got other things to do with my time, things that are of more
    interest to me. I don't denigrate those who choose to assemble their
    own, particularly since I did five systems over the years, but it's not
    really a major skill. Order from catalogs or buy locally. Bring it
    home. Sit down and look it over. Put it together. Plug it in and follow
    some fairly simple steps. Bingo. New computer. Time invested: six or
    eight hours. My way: go through the Dell listings, order what I want
    and ignore what I don't, type the order in, sit back and wait (or go
    shoot photos, which I far prefer). Two or three days later the system
    arrives, is hooked up, and is running. Time invested: 45 minutes, max,
    including selection and ordering time as well as set up.

    Rich figures I'm a loser. I hope, by his standards, to remain one.

    Dells been good for me too, but not IBM. As for HP, I think they're
    slipping. I use their hp49g+ graphics calculator and poor quality has been
    an extreme issue. I'm on my second replacement, and the first replacement
    was graciously replaced by them even though the first replacement was over
    90 days old.

    The keys were breaking down and the face plate is painted. Now the paint is
    rubing off! They used to be the Cadillac.......sigh.

    Scott Chapin

    Scott Chapin, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Henry

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>
    >> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    >> because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >> Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >> being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >> Some case.
    >>

    > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > They get what they deserve.
    > -Rich

    Rich,
    Sorry, but your information is in error. I am well able to spec my
    own computer, and build it if I wish, and after more than 40 years in
    the business, I am more than able to understand all the technical
    aspects of the system, and how it works, and how to fit it all together.
    However, I own 3 HP systems at the moment, and BECAUSE I know what I
    know about how to use, maintain, and set up the systems, I have never
    had a failure of any kind with any of them.

    Those who specify and build their own computers get what THEY
    deserve as well.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Henry

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>>
    >>> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    >>> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    >>> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    >>> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    >>> phone. Some case.
    >>>

    >> The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    >> or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    >> computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    >> They get what they deserve.
    >> -Rich

    > Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    > than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    > Rich.
    >
    > I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    > reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    > Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    > time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    > :)

    Rich would characterize my nephew as a 'loser' because he doesn't have
    time with his medical practice to assemble and maintain a computer. Sigh.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 29, 2005
  9. Henry

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <qWM_e.40660$sx2.35110@fed1read02>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    even number here)@cox..net> says...
    > > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > > They get what they deserve.
    > > -Rich

    > Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    > than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    > Rich.

    Wait a minute - read what Rich said again. He lets you go to an
    independent dealer/assembler and spec out a system. That
    dealer/assembler will know the tricks and provide advice on configuration
    as well as doing the assembly. Especially in the past the HP/IBM etc.
    machines were way overpriced and you had no idea of what was in them even
    after you bought them.

    Bruce Graham, Sep 29, 2005
  10. Henry

    Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:42:27 -0400, Rich <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>
    >>Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    >>because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >>Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >>being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >>Some case.
    >>

    >The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    >or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    >computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    >They get what they deserve.
    >-Rich

    I gather you specify the brand of piston rings in every new
    car you buy, right?

    Imperious (and probably insecure) snob.

    , Sep 29, 2005
  11. Henry

    Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 05:00:01 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Mark² wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:

    >>> The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    >>> or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    >>> computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    >>> They get what they deserve.
    >>> -Rich

    >> Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    >> than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    >> Rich.
    >>
    >> I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    >> reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    >> Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    >> time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    >> :)
    >>

    >Rich would characterize my nephew as a 'loser' because he doesn't have
    >time with his medical practice to assemble and maintain a computer. Sigh.

    Dell also provides a decently wide latitude (yes, intended)
    for those who wish to spec out their own system.

    I was once (years ago) involved with a single order of about
    100 IBM desktop computers. Even within that order we found two
    different video chips. (Who knows how many other components differed
    among the samples.) The difference showed up when we built one system
    and cloned the HD for the other systems. About half came up with all
    black icons. It was simple to let the configurator re-sniff the video
    chips on those to correct the problem. But it does give a clue on how
    much you can expect to get exactly what you think you've speced.

    , Sep 29, 2005
  12. Henry

    SimonLW Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>
    >>Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    >>available
    >>because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >>Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >>being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >>Some case.
    >>

    > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > They get what they deserve.
    > -Rich

    Wait a minute! People keep saying Rich is calling them losers when he
    clearly is calling them a 1OSERS. Is this like the 1D10T error? ; )
    -S

    SimonLW, Sep 29, 2005
  13. Henry

    SimonLW Guest

    SimonLW, Sep 29, 2005
  14. On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:43:24 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>>
    >>> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    >>> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    >>> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    >>> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    >>> phone. Some case.
    >>>

    >> The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    >> or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    >> computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    >> They get what they deserve.
    >> -Rich

    >Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    >than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    >Rich.
    >
    >I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    >reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    >Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    >time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    > :)

    I'll name one, using a DSLR or even owning one.

    "In general, the art of government consists in taking as
    much money as possible from one party of the citizens
    to give to the other."

    Voltaire (1764)

    John A. Stovall, Sep 29, 2005
  15. Henry

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <F7F_e.1916$>,
    Henry <> wrote:
    >Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >
    >Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    >because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >Some case.

    DO you have a point?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Sep 29, 2005
  16. Henry

    Henry Guest

    My point? Yes. By all means buy a Hewlett Packard Pavillion computer and
    download your images from digital camera and enjoy your life. HP will stand
    behind their product and if it fails you will get your images
    back-eventually.
    Could you wait for an indefinate "eventally"?

    Henry, Sep 29, 2005
  17. Henry

    Guest

    On 29 Sep 2005 10:58:43 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <F7F_e.1916$>,
    >Henry <> wrote:
    >>Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>
    >>Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    >>because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under warranty?
    >>Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you. Like
    >>being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    >>Some case.
    >>

    >DO you have a point?

    His point is quite clear. DO you have a brain?

    , Sep 29, 2005
  18. > The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    > or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    > computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    > They get what they deserve.
    > -Rich

    Preposterous!

    Charles Schuler, Sep 29, 2005
  19. Henry

    Rich Guest

    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:00 -0400, " Henry"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hewlett Packard in disarray
    >>>
    >>> Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not
    >>> available because HP doesn't keep them all in stock.
    >>> Can you wait a month or more to keep your computer working under
    >>> warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means HP cares for
    >>> you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping you.
    >>> Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    >>> computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by
    >>> phone. Some case.
    >>>

    >> The only people who buy home computers from HP, or IBM (formerly)
    >> or Dell are lOSERS who are incapable of going to a good independent
    >> computer dealer/assembler and specing out their own system.
    >> They get what they deserve.
    >> -Rich

    >Then you are saying about 95% of the public are "losers" since likely LESS
    >than that assemble their own machines. You're really a pleasant individual,
    >Rich.
    >
    >I assemble my own desktop systems, but most can't/don't. That doesn't
    >reflect ANYTHING about them other than that they aren't hardware masters.
    >Shall we start naming the things you aren't master of?? Nah... Too little
    >time...and it would wear out my keyboard.
    > :)

    Take a look at the buyer feedback on Dell's "home office" purchase
    site and TELL me the dissatisified customers aren't LOSERS!
    -Rich

    Rich, Sep 29, 2005
  20. Henry

    PcB Guest

    <<Hewlett Packard in disarray

    Got a HP Pavillion Desktop? Do you know some parts are simply not available
    because HP doesn't keep them all in stock. Can you wait a month or more to
    keep your computer working under warranty? Do you think "Total Care" means
    HP cares for you? Not so. It means "Total Care" when they feel like helping
    you. Like being treated like dirt once you've bought your
    computer? You might get lied to or told you would be called back by phone.
    Some case.

    Sorry to hear about your problems (really).

    This is the sad consequence, however, of us (the consumer) demanding more
    and more of our purchases (PCs, cameras, cars, TVs) and wanting to pay less
    and less for them. Something's got to give and this is it; it's fine whilst
    it works in our favour.

    Hope you get it sorted.

    Paul

    --