    Any advices?
    Thanks,
    Emmanuel

    Ecolar, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Ecolar

    Linda_N Guest

    "Ecolar" <_no_spam> wrote in message
    news:417fc3f6$0$1988$...
    >I am wondering which of the Olympus C8080 and Nikon D70 will give me the
    > best picture quality (the reflex / single lens is not important to me as I
    > will be shoting the most important studio work with a Mamiya medium
    > format).
    > Any advices?
    > Thanks,
    > Emmanuel

    The Nikon D70 is a dSLR so picture quality will have a lot to do with the
    lens(es) you choose to invest in.

    I'd not purchase the Olympus 8080. Even though it is reviewed as the best
    out of the new release 8 megapixel fixed lens P&S digicams, none of the 8
    megapixels in this class ranked high enough to justify the price, in my
    opinion. From everything I've read on the 8 mp sensors I'd skip the whole
    race, or wait until they get improved. The new Nikon 8800 (I think that is
    the model number) has a newly design 8 mp sensor in it so perhaps they have
    figured out what was causing the problems in the original 8 mp sensor.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Ecolar

    C J Campbell Guest

    > I am wondering which of the Olympus C8080 and Nikon D70 will give me the
    > best picture quality (the reflex / single lens is not important to me as I
    > will be shoting the most important studio work with a Mamiya medium

    format).
    > Any advices?

    www.dpreview.com

    Picture quality is very good with both cameras. The Nikon D70 and Canon EOS
    300D allow you to take pictures more quickly and are far more flexible. I
    have to say that the D70 is a Canon killer; it is probably one of the
    greatest cameras ever made. Everything about this camera just feels right.

    C J Campbell, Oct 27, 2004
  4. I used to own an Olympus C5060, and I have held and used an Olympus C8080.
    Although they are very different, to me they are both not as intuitive and
    easy to use as the Nikon D70 (which I now own ).
    People have said that the D70 is complex, but not complicated, and I agree,
    there is a lot to this camera.
    The Nikon D70 kit with the 18-70mm lens takes a lot of beating.
    Regards
    Graham

    Graham Archer, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Ecolar

    JohnR Guest

    D70 hands down. The small sensors in those prosumer cameras are noisy above
    the low ISO settings, Look over processed and have limited dynamic range.

    The smooth artifact free images from the larger sensor DSLRs can't be
    matched by those cameras. There is much more freedom with lenses and ISO
    settings. I doubt the C8080 produces any more usable resolution than the D70
    as well.

    Get the D70. You won't be sorry.
    John

    JohnR, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Ecolar

    Larry Guest

    In article <F%Rfd.253$>, this-
    says...
    > I'd not purchase the Olympus 8080. Even though it is reviewed as the best
    > out of the new release 8 megapixel fixed lens P&S digicams, none of the 8
    > megapixels in this class ranked high enough to justify the price, in my
    > opinion. From everything I've read on the 8 mp sensors I'd skip the whole
    > race, or wait until they get improved. The new Nikon 8800 (I think that is
    > the model number) has a newly design 8 mp sensor in it so perhaps they have
    > figured out what was causing the problems in the original 8 mp sensor.
    >
    > Linda

    I think the problems with the 8mp cameras is sensor size,
    and I think unless they increase the sensor size to more
    than 2/3 they will always be problematic.

    Just too many sensors on too small a space.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Ecolar

    bmoag Guest

    If you have Nikon lenses then the choice is clear: you will be far happier
    with the usability and flexibility of the N70.
    Image quality is not the issue: the 8mp cameras are all excellent picture
    taking machines with very good optics.
    This is based on personal experience not written reviews.
    If you are used to medium format SLR viewing then I think the electronic
    view finders of the 8mp cameras will be their greatest drawback for you. I
    use my 8mp EVF heavily and I have no complaints about image quality but it
    is always a pleasure to go back to the direct viewing system in a film or
    dSLR. Manual focusing with an EVF can be difficult and is not as reliable as
    with a dSLR.

    bmoag, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Ecolar

    Ecolar Guest

    Thanks for all your advices.
    In summary:

    - EVF will certainly be frustrating for manual focussing (especially as I am
    used to an old Canon AE1 and Mamiya 645...)

    - 8mp or 5mp both provide good enough quality for A2 enlarging, but small
    sensors have several defects that are relieved by larger ones (i.e. 5 mp).
    So I guess in terms of dynamic range (which is very important to my eyes)
    will be better on a lower 5mp but larger sensor size

    - D70 seems more appealing than the D300 (in both case, I will neither be
    able to use my Canon FD nor my great Mamiya C lenses anyway)

    As I do mostly portraits, and I own an Epson 4870 scanner, do you believe
    that I will be able to get the same image sharpness using a D70 (like hair,
    eyebrushes, ...) and dynamic range as using my 6x4.5 negative scanned at
    3200 dpi?

    Thanks a lot again,
    Emmanuel

    Ecolar, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Ecolar wrote:
    []
    > - EVF will certainly be frustrating for manual focussing (especially
    > as I am used to an old Canon AE1 and Mamiya 645...)

    It /can/ be done - e.g. the Panasonic FZ20 has a manual focussing mode
    that expands the view in the centre of the finder enough to allow accurate
    focussing. This is the only camera I've seen which allows this, though.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Ecolar

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <417fc3f6$0$1988$>,
    _no_spam says...
    > I am wondering which of the Olympus C8080 and Nikon D70 will give me the
    > best picture quality (the reflex / single lens is not important to me as I
    > will be shoting the most important studio work with a Mamiya medium format).

    I skipped the D70 and went for the 8080, for a number of reasons:

    1. 6MP vs 8MP: I needed more resolution than 6MP
    2. LCD screen with live preview. Essential if you shoot a lot of
    panoramas
    3. Bright F2.4-3.5 lens (with the Nikon you get that F3.5-5.6 lens,
    brighter zoom lenses tend to be large, heavy and expensive).
    4. Doing mostly travel photography, a compact and ligth unit is better.

    Noise is not really an issue because I shoot at the lowest ISO (50) most
    of the time. I'm not into sports wildlife or photography, so the low ISO
    and limited zoom range don't disturb me.

    To get an idea of the image quality achievable with an 8080 have a look
    at this photo gallery:

    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Czech/Prague/

    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Ecolar

    Mike Henley Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <417fc3f6$0$1988$>,
    > _no_spam says...
    > > I am wondering which of the Olympus C8080 and Nikon D70 will give me the
    > > best picture quality (the reflex / single lens is not important to me as I
    > > will be shoting the most important studio work with a Mamiya medium format).

    > I skipped the D70 and went for the 8080, for a number of reasons:
    >
    > 1. 6MP vs 8MP: I needed more resolution than 6MP
    > 2. LCD screen with live preview. Essential if you shoot a lot of
    > panoramas
    > 3. Bright F2.4-3.5 lens (with the Nikon you get that F3.5-5.6 lens,
    > brighter zoom lenses tend to be large, heavy and expensive).
    > 4. Doing mostly travel photography, a compact and ligth unit is better.
    >
    > Noise is not really an issue because I shoot at the lowest ISO (50) most
    > of the time. I'm not into sports wildlife or photography, so the low ISO
    > and limited zoom range don't disturb me.
    >
    > To get an idea of the image quality achievable with an 8080 have a look
    > at this photo gallery:
    >
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Czech/Prague/

    I ordered the fuji f810 which (although just a 200gms camera) seemed
    to do very well against the 8080 and the minolta A2, especially at iso
    400. The latenst fujifilm SuperCCD SR sensor really seems to have come
    of age and seems better than the 8mp conventional CCD.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page9.asp

    Mike Henley, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Ecolar

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I ordered the fuji f810 which (although just a 200gms camera) seemed
    > to do very well against the 8080 and the minolta A2, especially at iso
    > 400. The latenst fujifilm SuperCCD SR sensor really seems to have come
    > of age and seems better than the 8mp conventional CCD.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page9.asp

    The Fuji 810 is only 6MP.

    In any case you have to compare it at ISO 50, not at ISO 400, because
    that is the ISO at which you are going to use a camera such a CCD (with
    small pixels). At ISO 400 the 8080 applies a lot of noise reduction,
    which does reduce the effective resolution.

    See the comparison at ISO 50 in which you can clearly see the resolution
    advantage of the 8MP camera vs. the 6MP camera:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page8.asp
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 30, 2004
  13. Ecolar

    Ken Tough Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    [...]
    >I skipped the D70 and went for the 8080, for a number of reasons:

    [...]
    >Noise is not really an issue because I shoot at the lowest ISO (50) most
    >of the time. I'm not into sports wildlife or photography, so the low ISO
    >and limited zoom range don't disturb me.

    Since you're not into photography, perhaps you should have bought
    a radio instead? ;-]

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Oct 30, 2004
  14. Ecolar

    Mike Henley Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > I ordered the fuji f810 which (although just a 200gms camera) seemed
    > > to do very well against the 8080 and the minolta A2, especially at iso
    > > 400. The latenst fujifilm SuperCCD SR sensor really seems to have come
    > > of age and seems better than the 8mp conventional CCD.
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page9.asp

    > The Fuji 810 is only 6MP.
    >
    > In any case you have to compare it at ISO 50, not at ISO 400, because
    > that is the ISO at which you are going to use a camera such a CCD (with
    > small pixels). At ISO 400 the 8080 applies a lot of noise reduction,
    > which does reduce the effective resolution.
    >
    > See the comparison at ISO 50 in which you can clearly see the resolution
    > advantage of the 8MP camera vs. the 6MP camera:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/page8.asp

    Hi alfred, I'm a big fan of your pages about the Oly 5050/5060/8080.
    Yup, I totally agree with what you just said, though I think it may
    also be the fact that the 8080 has an oustanding, huge lens compared
    to the Fuji's little lens. The reason I mentioned iso 400 is that I
    like available light photography, so noisy images were something that
    annoyed me immensely in my current camera.

    Mike Henley, Oct 30, 2004
  15. Ecolar

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi alfred, I'm a big fan of your pages about the Oly 5050/5060/8080.
    > Yup, I totally agree with what you just said, though I think it may
    > also be the fact that the 8080 has an oustanding, huge lens compared
    > to the Fuji's little lens. The reason I mentioned iso 400 is that I
    > like available light photography, so noisy images were something that
    > annoyed me immensely in my current camera.

    I'm too a fan of available light photography, but ISO 400 gives just too
    noisy results with compact cameras. It may be the case that the Fuji
    performs better at ISO 400, but noise levels will still be too high.

    IS0 400 is essentially DSLR territory - but don't forget that DSLR zoom
    lenses are in general less bright than compact camera zoom lenses and
    you have to shoot at smaller apertures to get the depth of field.

    The other option would be to get an Olympus 5050 which comes with an
    F1.8 lens - bright enough for most situations. The 8080 has a less
    bright lens and you have to use it at a sligthly lower ISO to get the
    same noise level as the 5050 (see the noise comparison at
    http://myolympus.org/8080/noisetest/ )

    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 30, 2004
  16. Ecolar

    Linda_N Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <F%Rfd.253$>, this-
    > says...
    >> I'd not purchase the Olympus 8080. Even though it is reviewed as the best
    >> out of the new release 8 megapixel fixed lens P&S digicams, none of the 8
    >> megapixels in this class ranked high enough to justify the price, in my
    >> opinion. From everything I've read on the 8 mp sensors I'd skip the whole
    >> race, or wait until they get improved. The new Nikon 8800 (I think that
    >> is
    >> the model number) has a newly design 8 mp sensor in it so perhaps they
    >> have
    >> figured out what was causing the problems in the original 8 mp sensor.
    >>
    >> Linda
    >>

    > I think the problems with the 8mp cameras is sensor size,
    > and I think unless they increase the sensor size to more
    > than 2/3 they will always be problematic.
    >
    > Just too many sensors on too small a space.

    I agree that the size of the sensor is the problem. Without looking 'again'
    I do believe the Nikon 8800 has a new, 'larger' 8 megapixel sensor. Don't
    put that in stone though as it has been a while since I read the specs for
    changes made to the 8800.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Nov 1, 2004
  17. Ecolar

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <HWuhd.26$>, this-is-not-my@email-
    address.com says...

    > I agree that the size of the sensor is the problem. Without looking 'again'
    > I do believe the Nikon 8800 has a new, 'larger' 8 megapixel sensor. Don't
    > put that in stone though as it has been a while since I read the specs for
    > changes made to the 8800.

    The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs used
    in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
    1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market using
    that sensor yet).

    By the way, with the 8080 noise is not an issue if you shoot at ISO 50,
    meaning that it is low enough not to disturb. At higher ISOs the 8080
    applies keeps noise in check, by progressively applying more noise
    reduction, at the expense of reducing the available resolution (you
    can't have everything in life).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Nov 1, 2004