Here's one for you ....

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Wizard, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Wizard

    Wizard Guest

    I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:

    Intel Board d865gbflk
    Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
    1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
    1 SATA Maxtor drive
    ETC.

    No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
    scan according to Intel's active monitor

    I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"

    all to no avail.

    I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.

    The best results are with a Speeze cooler.

    But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
    What else can be done?
    Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

    Wizard, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Wizard, the marinated in piss, heavy-footed flycatcher, and assistant weaver
    in the shawl making mill, spilled the beans:

    You can assume whatever the **** you like.

    Jerzy Jezeierski, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Wizard

    Stuart Guest

    Jerzy Jezeierski wrote:

    > You can assume whatever the **** you like.

    LOL!

    Stuart, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Wizard

    Wizard Guest

    Thanks for you help, asshole!

    Wizard, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Wizard

    Stuart Guest

    Wizard wrote:
    > I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:
    >
    > Intel Board d865gbflk
    > Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
    > 1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
    > 1 SATA Maxtor drive
    > ETC.
    >
    > No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
    > scan according to Intel's active monitor
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"
    >
    > all to no avail.
    >
    > I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.
    >
    > The best results are with a Speeze cooler.
    >
    > But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
    > What else can be done?
    > Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

    Check the heat specs on the intel site to see what they recommend it
    should be running at. Also try another motherboard monitoring program,
    see if it is giving a different reading. What temperature does it read
    in the BIOS and without any loading on the CPU, also try running
    something else which will put a high load on the cpu and check the temps
    while doing that. I don't think 69 deg C under a heavy load is a problem
    for the CPU.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Wizard

    Thor Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:
    >
    > Intel Board d865gbflk
    > Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
    > 1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
    > 1 SATA Maxtor drive
    > ETC.
    >
    > No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
    > scan according to Intel's active monitor
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"
    >
    > all to no avail.
    >
    > I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.
    >
    > The best results are with a Speeze cooler.
    >
    > But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
    > What else can be done?
    > Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

    seems high, obviously, but some of the newer CPUs have higher operating
    temps than we have been traditionally used to seeing. I'd check the Intel
    specs to see what that chip's safety limit is. If you want a program that
    will really stress the CPU, then use Prime95 and run it's torture test. You
    should be able to find it somewhere on the net. It will max out the CPU
    usage, and push the chip to it's highest operating temp. If the sucker
    doesn't lock up or throttle down to protect itself while running that, then
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    Thor, Aug 27, 2004