Here's one, anyone have an answer?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    Writing email. Pushed the shift button, then started thinking things over.
    "blurp" says windows (XP SP2) and up comes the little dialog asking about
    Accessibility Options. Without paying much attention, I clicked cancel, as
    I have done dozens of times.

    Well, something didn't cancel. I go back to the email and notice that the
    caps lock and shift keys aren't working properly. (capslock turned on gives
    lower case, turned off it gives upper case, and the shift keys don't work at
    all. The number pad keys aren't working. I go back to the desktop and see
    that the task bar has doubled in size, the icons on taskbar and systray have
    doubled in size and are out of focus, as if resolution had been decreased to
    a minimum, and I have lost the bottom row of icons on the desktop itself.
    The desktop icons have remained the same size.

    So I go thru start menu and task bar properties. Nothing has changed. I go
    through language and keyboard settings. Nothing has changed. I go through
    accessibility options to see what has been turned on. Nothing has been
    turned on; everything is as it was before. I turn on then turn off
    "magnifier" to see if that fixes things. Nope. I look thru help, incl. KB
    articles to find a clue. Nothing. I was going to go thru process explorer
    to see if I could identify the offending process, but the icon for it was
    gone from the desktop. So now I am pissed off.

    So I restart into last known good, which should have been yesterday. No
    joy. The distorted taskbar comes back and the icons are still missing from
    the desktop. Finally, a system restore to yesterday fixed things.

    But I never did find out the cause. Anyone ever run into this and did
    discover the cause? And let me repeat for emphasis: no accessibility
    options were visibly turned on.

    Thanks!
    Mike
    x-posted to alt.comp.hardware

    MF, Jan 1, 2007

  2. MF

    Access Guest

    "MF" <> wrote in message

    > Writing email. Pushed the shift button, then started thinking things
    > over. "blurp" says windows (XP SP2) and up comes the little dialog asking
    > about Accessibility Options. Without paying much attention, I clicked
    > cancel, as I have done dozens of times.
    >
    > Well, something didn't cancel. I go back to the email and notice that the
    > caps lock and shift keys aren't working properly. (capslock turned on
    > gives lower case, turned off it gives upper case, and the shift keys don't
    > work at all. The number pad keys aren't working. I go back to the
    > desktop and see that the task bar has doubled in size, the icons on
    > taskbar and systray have doubled in size and are out of focus, as if
    > resolution had been decreased to a minimum, and I have lost the bottom row
    > of icons on the desktop itself. The desktop icons have remained the same
    > size.
    >
    > So I go thru start menu and task bar properties. Nothing has changed. I
    > go through language and keyboard settings. Nothing has changed. I go
    > through accessibility options to see what has been turned on. Nothing has
    > been turned on; everything is as it was before. I turn on then turn off
    > "magnifier" to see if that fixes things. Nope. I look thru help, incl.
    > KB articles to find a clue. Nothing. I was going to go thru process
    > explorer to see if I could identify the offending process, but the icon
    > for it was gone from the desktop. So now I am pissed off.
    >
    > So I restart into last known good, which should have been yesterday. No
    > joy. The distorted taskbar comes back and the icons are still missing
    > from the desktop. Finally, a system restore to yesterday fixed things.
    >
    > But I never did find out the cause. Anyone ever run into this and did
    > discover the cause? And let me repeat for emphasis: no accessibility
    > options were visibly turned on.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Mike
    > x-posted to alt.comp.hardware

    Maybe some keyboard shortcut you incidentally pressed ? I remember something
    about pressing the SHIFT key for more than 5 seconds.

    Matthias

    Access, Jan 1, 2007

  3. MF

    PaDiQ Guest

    maybe keyboard is broken.....maybe shift button is broken...

    PaDiQ, Jan 1, 2007
  4. MF

    Guest

    MF wrote:
    > Writing email. Pushed the shift button, then started thinking things over.
    > "blurp" says windows (XP SP2) and up comes the little dialog asking about
    > Accessibility Options. Without paying much attention, I clicked cancel, as
    > I have done dozens of times.
    >
    > Well, something didn't cancel. I go back to the email and notice that the
    > caps lock and shift keys aren't working properly. (capslock turned on gives
    > lower case, turned off it gives upper case, and the shift keys don't work at
    > all. The number pad keys aren't working. I go back to the desktop and see
    > that the task bar has doubled in size, the icons on taskbar and systray have
    > doubled in size and are out of focus, as if resolution had been decreased to
    > a minimum, and I have lost the bottom row of icons on the desktop itself.
    > The desktop icons have remained the same size.
    >
    > So I go thru start menu and task bar properties. Nothing has changed. I go
    > through language and keyboard settings. Nothing has changed. I go through
    > accessibility options to see what has been turned on. Nothing has been
    > turned on; everything is as it was before. I turn on then turn off
    > "magnifier" to see if that fixes things. Nope. I look thru help, incl. KB
    > articles to find a clue. Nothing. I was going to go thru process explorer
    > to see if I could identify the offending process, but the icon for it was
    > gone from the desktop. So now I am pissed off.
    >
    > So I restart into last known good, which should have been yesterday. No
    > joy. The distorted taskbar comes back and the icons are still missing from
    > the desktop. Finally, a system restore to yesterday fixed things.
    >
    > But I never did find out the cause. Anyone ever run into this and did
    > discover the cause? And let me repeat for emphasis: no accessibility
    > options were visibly turned on.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Mike
    > x-posted to alt.comp.hardware

    I've seen 2 similar things..

    what happened to you, I think is a win xp "feature" called Sticky
    Keys.
    I wont' try it now 'cos i have things open.. But I think if you hold
    SHIFT for 5 seconds (maybe without another letter), then it turns on.
    It sort of automatically holds down CTRL SHIFT or ALT for you.. Which
    is a nuisance 'cos when you type on the keyboard , since you're noe
    effectively holding down very functional keys, all hell breaks lose and
    you're actually runing a load of win xp shortcuts. I think i've foudn
    emails getting sent as i'm typing them.. (maybe that was why I stopped
    using outlook).. . The focus goes all over the place things get
    closed. it's horrible.. At one point I just stop risking pressing more
    keys, and restart with the mouse - which still works!.. But you can
    disable it

    I guess to disable stickykeys, go to ctrl panel..accesibilty options..
    and you see sticky keys there.. it may be unchecekd, but there's a
    setings within that with checkboxes, maybe uncheck those too. It's
    worth knowing that the default settings say that if 2 keys are pressed
    at once turns stickkeys off

    Another very similar nuisance is . Usiing your RIGHT CTRL and RIGHT
    SHIFT . Hold RIGHT CTRL and while yo're holding it, tap RIGHT SHIFT.
    Then release both. i.e. RIGHT CTRL+RIGHT SHIFT. (like one might do
    CTRL-Z)

    All the text gets flushed right.. the left arrow goes right, the right
    arrow goes left. Windows acts like it acts when you're writing a
    langauge that goes from right to left.. Which is a pain even in a right
    to left language. But even mroe stupid when writing english.
    THe key is to know how to reverse it to normal. Do the same , but with
    the LEFT. i.e. LEFT CONTROL+LEFT SHIFT.

    , Jan 1, 2007
  5. MF

    Paul Guest

    MF wrote:
    > Writing email. Pushed the shift button, then started thinking things over.
    > "blurp" says windows (XP SP2) and up comes the little dialog asking about
    > Accessibility Options. Without paying much attention, I clicked cancel, as
    > I have done dozens of times.
    >
    > Well, something didn't cancel. I go back to the email and notice that the
    > caps lock and shift keys aren't working properly. (capslock turned on gives
    > lower case, turned off it gives upper case, and the shift keys don't work at
    > all. The number pad keys aren't working. I go back to the desktop and see
    > that the task bar has doubled in size, the icons on taskbar and systray have
    > doubled in size and are out of focus, as if resolution had been decreased to
    > a minimum, and I have lost the bottom row of icons on the desktop itself.
    > The desktop icons have remained the same size.
    >
    > So I go thru start menu and task bar properties. Nothing has changed. I go
    > through language and keyboard settings. Nothing has changed. I go through
    > accessibility options to see what has been turned on. Nothing has been
    > turned on; everything is as it was before. I turn on then turn off
    > "magnifier" to see if that fixes things. Nope. I look thru help, incl. KB
    > articles to find a clue. Nothing. I was going to go thru process explorer
    > to see if I could identify the offending process, but the icon for it was
    > gone from the desktop. So now I am pissed off.
    >
    > So I restart into last known good, which should have been yesterday. No
    > joy. The distorted taskbar comes back and the icons are still missing from
    > the desktop. Finally, a system restore to yesterday fixed things.
    >
    > But I never did find out the cause. Anyone ever run into this and did
    > discover the cause? And let me repeat for emphasis: no accessibility
    > options were visibly turned on.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Mike
    > x-posted to alt.comp.hardware

    I see plenty of potential distortions mentioned on this page. There
    is a control panel called Accessibility and it may have something to
    do with it. Maybe you can experiment with the Control Panel, and see
    if the Registry or something else is changed, when the panel is changed.

    (I used the archived version, to try to get the pictures on the page to appear.)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040903...alowsoftware.com/accessibility/AccArticle.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 1, 2007
  6. MF

    Guest

    PaDiQ wrote:
    > maybe keyboard is broken.....maybe shift button is broken...

    the proof this isn't the case is that the functionality is fine after
    restarting windows.

    it's the standard sticky keys problem.. SHIFT for 5 seconds.. though
    when I look at the settings it says press SHIFT 5 times - an
    improvement!. Somebody else mentioned 5 seconds so it's not my
    imagination. I guess it was at one time. I don't know when MS changed
    it. But it'd explain why it hasn't happened to me recently. At the
    moment i'm using sp2 no updates. So maybe sp1 was shift 5 seconds. But
    the OP said this happened on sp2, so i don't see how he activated it,
    if he pressed SHIFT 5 times, but that's unusual. I thin kyou have
    toppress it 5 times without another key, just trying it now!

    , Jan 1, 2007
  7. MF

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MF wrote:

    [snip]

    Try the windows key and lt combination?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  8. MF

    CBFalconer Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > MF wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Try the windows key and lt combination?

    For what? You seem to have removed all context.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Jan 3, 2007
  9. STICKY KEYS IS EVIL!!!!!

    Really, wtf were they thinking?

    visions of effty, Jan 3, 2007
  10. MF

    Rod Speed Guest

    visions of effty <> wrote:

    > STICKY KEYS IS EVIL!!!!!

    Nope, just can be a nuisance.

    > Really, wtf were they thinking?

    That some cripples etc need stuff like that.

    Rod Speed, Jan 4, 2007