    Could the antispyware have cleaned them out, but left references to
    them in the hidden "_system" folder. And are they stuck there for
    ever?

    Bren, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Bren

    johns Guest

    Niether AdAware or Spybot go beyond removing the
    actual programs where they expect to find them. If
    those programs are zipped in a file that unzips later
    and re-installs the spyware, then AdAware and Spybot
    will do their jobs again, but they will never spot the source. Also,
    programs like Gain, Gator, etc download
    "servers" that will access their home sites and just
    download them again and again. Not one of those spyware removal programs out
    there is trying to deal
    with this. Sort of makes me go Hmmmm? I suspect
    that both AdAware and Spybot have great plans for
    the future as "needed" purchases. It is not in their best
    interest to totally solve the spyware problem. They
    just want to make it clear to everyone that there IS a
    problem, and we need to BUY something. I see that
    as "insider blackmail". My solution is disk imaging,
    and make sure you own a computer that can restore
    a disk image in a reasonable amount of time. I do
    critical backups of working folders, email, etc regularly.
    So when I get this crap, I just reimage .. recopy a few
    folders, and I'm back up in 30 minutes ... at nearly
    40 gigs of data and programs ( AMD 64 ).

    johns

    johns, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Bren

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:07:27 -0800, "johns"
    <> wrote:

    >My solution is disk imaging,

    My solution is to find out whats running on the
    system and eliminate things that should not be
    there. What adaware does not get can be got
    by hand.

    I found process explorer from www.sysinternals.com
    as recomended to me here most useful.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Bren

    Bren Guest

    "johns" <> wrote in message news:<cvt29h$1kem$>...
    > Niether AdAware or Spybot go beyond removing the
    > actual programs where they expect to find them. If
    > those programs are zipped in a file that unzips later
    > and re-installs the spyware, then AdAware and Spybot
    > will do their jobs again, but they will never spot the source. Also,
    > programs like Gain, Gator, etc download
    > "servers" that will access their home sites and just
    > download them again and again. Not one of those spyware removal programs out
    > there is trying to deal
    > with this. Sort of makes me go Hmmmm? I suspect
    > that both AdAware and Spybot have great plans for
    > the future as "needed" purchases. It is not in their best
    > interest to totally solve the spyware problem. They
    > just want to make it clear to everyone that there IS a
    > problem, and we need to BUY something. I see that
    > as "insider blackmail". My solution is disk imaging,
    > and make sure you own a computer that can restore
    > a disk image in a reasonable amount of time. I do
    > critical backups of working folders, email, etc regularly.
    > So when I get this crap, I just reimage .. recopy a few
    > folders, and I'm back up in 30 minutes ... at nearly
    > 40 gigs of data and programs ( AMD 64 ).
    >
    > johns

    Hi Johns,

    Thanks for the insight given!

    Bren.

    Bren, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Bren

    L;0zT....! Guest

    johns wrote:

    > Niether AdAware or Spybot go beyond removing the
    > actual programs where they expect to find them. If
    > those programs are zipped in a file that unzips later
    > and re-installs the spyware, then AdAware and Spybot
    > will do their jobs again, but they will never spot the source. Also,
    > programs like Gain, Gator, etc download
    > "servers" that will access their home sites and just
    > download them again and again. Not one of those spyware removal programs out
    > there is trying to deal
    > with this. Sort of makes me go Hmmmm? I suspect
    > that both AdAware and Spybot have great plans for
    > the future as "needed" purchases. It is not in their best
    > interest to totally solve the spyware problem. They
    > just want to make it clear to everyone that there IS a
    > problem, and we need to BUY something. I see that
    > as "insider blackmail". My solution is disk imaging,
    > and make sure you own a computer that can restore
    > a disk image in a reasonable amount of time. I do
    > critical backups of working folders, email, etc regularly.
    > So when I get this crap, I just reimage .. recopy a few
    > folders, and I'm back up in 30 minutes ... at nearly
    > 40 gigs of data and programs ( AMD 64 ).
    >
    > johns

    Have you used the 'immunize' section of Spybot. Not ideal by any means,
    but a start I guess.....

    --
    L;0zT.......!!! Me too!!!

    LozT.SouL (at) GMail

    Being a robot in my digital domain,
    enter my world, feel my pain.
    I'm not like other people you might see or you might know.
    I made love to a BBC micro.
    Touched it on the disk drive, the monitor got hot.
    I knew at once I was a motherfucking robot.
    Bill Gates from Microsoft, Steven Hawkins voice,
    and fucking Lara Croft....

    The GLC.

    L;0zT....!, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Bren

    winged Guest

    johns wrote:
    > Niether AdAware or Spybot go beyond removing the
    > actual programs where they expect to find them. If
    > those programs are zipped in a file that unzips later
    > and re-installs the spyware, then AdAware and Spybot
    > will do their jobs again, but they will never spot the source. Also,
    > programs like Gain, Gator, etc download
    > "servers" that will access their home sites and just
    > download them again and again. Not one of those spyware removal programs out
    > there is trying to deal
    > with this. Sort of makes me go Hmmmm? I suspect
    > that both AdAware and Spybot have great plans for
    > the future as "needed" purchases. It is not in their best
    > interest to totally solve the spyware problem. They
    > just want to make it clear to everyone that there IS a
    > problem, and we need to BUY something. I see that
    > as "insider blackmail". My solution is disk imaging,
    > and make sure you own a computer that can restore
    > a disk image in a reasonable amount of time. I do
    > critical backups of working folders, email, etc regularly.
    > So when I get this crap, I just reimage .. recopy a few
    > folders, and I'm back up in 30 minutes ... at nearly
    > 40 gigs of data and programs ( AMD 64 ).
    >
    > johns

    Make sure spybot is in advanced mode.

    winged, Mar 1, 2005