Here is a wierd one.....

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Todd Howard, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Todd Howard

    Todd Howard Guest

    Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues are a
    little hard to solve.

    She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here newspaper
    site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries run Spybot.....ran
    it...no good....ok, so then we update its database and try again...still
    doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little odd, but lets try the newest
    Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out. Still
    no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the
    site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do
    it...so I go to the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is
    fine...ok. So we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked
    and we fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
    good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
    fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine yesterday,
    but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when I
    took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has no
    firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone Alarm and we
    can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas about what to do? She
    honestly doesn't know where it came from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't
    surfing porn sites, but I could be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I
    dont care. I just want it fixed...

    ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a couple
    of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
    I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Todd
    Todd Howard, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Todd Howard

    bambam Guest

    "Todd Howard" <> wrote in

    > Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues
    > are a little hard to solve.
    >
    > She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here
    > newspaper site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no
    > worries run Spybot.....ran it...no good....ok, so then we update
    > its database and try again...still doesnt fix the problem....ok
    > that is a little odd, but lets try the newest Ad Aware and
    > see....it finds a bunch more stuff and we clear them out. Still
    > no good....by now I am getting frustrated, and I get her to go to
    > the site....She goes there and it turns out it is only "certain"
    > links that do it...so I go to the site and click on what she is
    > clicking and mine is fine...ok. So we open up options and notice
    > her homepage has been hijacked and we fix that....we also delete
    > all cookies and temp files....still no good.....I email her the
    > link she is trying to click on and it works fine.....now I am
    > completely stumped...she said it worked fine yesterday, but today
    > it is messed up...The only thing I can think of, is that when I
    > took off for school I took the router....so I am thinking she has
    > no firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to download Zone
    > Alarm and we can go from there.. Does anyone have any other ideas
    > about what to do? She honestly doesn't know where it came from,
    > and I am pretty sure she wasn't surfing porn sites, but I could be
    > wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I dont care. I just want it
    > fixed...
    >
    > ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there
    > was a couple of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no
    > good..... I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?

    I'm surprised that your browser had been hijacked and SpyBot didn't
    pick it up. Here is a really good link that might help in some way-

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

    As a short term fix, how about getting your wife to download another
    browser until you can repair her current problem.

    The non-java version of Opera is only 3.2mb -

    http://www.opera.com/download/

    My favourite is Mozilla Firebird, only 6mb -

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    --
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months.
    I don't like to interupt her.
    bambam, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Todd Howard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Todd Howard wrote:
    > Ok, my wife is currently 3500 kms away from me, so computer issues
    > are a little hard to solve.
    >
    > She calls me tonight saying that when she clicks on links at here
    > newspaper site she is getting porn pop ups.....I figure, no worries
    > run Spybot.....ran it...no good....ok, so then we update its database
    > and try again...still doesnt fix the problem....ok that is a little
    > odd, but lets try the newest Ad Aware and see....it finds a bunch
    > more stuff and we clear them out. Still no good....by now I am
    > getting frustrated, and I get her to go to the site....She goes there
    > and it turns out it is only "certain" links that do it...so I go to
    > the site and click on what she is clicking and mine is fine...ok. So
    > we open up options and notice her homepage has been hijacked and we
    > fix that....we also delete all cookies and temp files....still no
    > good.....I email her the link she is trying to click on and it works
    > fine.....now I am completely stumped...she said it worked fine
    > yesterday, but today it is messed up...The only thing I can think of,
    > is that when I took off for school I took the router....so I am
    > thinking she has no firewall....so tomorrow I am going to get her to
    > download Zone Alarm and we can go from there.. Does anyone have any
    > other ideas about what to do? She honestly doesn't know where it came
    > from, and I am pretty sure she wasn't surfing porn sites, but I could
    > be wrong, and frankly if she was....lol, I dont care. I just want it
    > fixed...
    >
    > ADD On: I just got her to check msconfig startup menu.....there was a
    > couple of odd entries in there and we unchecked them, but no good.....
    > I am truly stumped here.....anyone have any ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Todd

    I've never heard of windows messenger do porn pop-ups, but it could be a
    possibility. Try turning it off under services. Or go to www.grc.com,
    and download "kill the messenger".

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Todd Howard

    Ken Williams Guest

    I believe it's the latest virus. Go do a virus scan. I recall it being called
    Ghost or something like that. It basically has a list (mostly search engines)
    that it redirects to porn sites. Go to www.symantec.com and run the free online
    virus scanner for more info.

    Ken Williams

    (Remove .zz when replying.)

    Ken Williams, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Todd Howard

    Todd Howard Guest

    Thanks Night_Seer, but that was done a long time ago......
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Todd Howard

    Todd Howard Guest

    I had a feeling that it might have been something like that, but wasn't
    sure....couldnt find it, but I am going to get her to run an online
    scanner....funny updated AVG didnt pick it up though...
    Todd

    Todd Howard, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Todd Howard

    Todd Howard Guest

    Yep she had a trojan...2 actually......AVG missed them though....that
    bothers me.....never had a problem with it before....
    Thanks for the help guys
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 5, 2003