Helpful tip for programs/installs that do not run under x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I stumbled upon this by accident. I was trying to install an application on
    my x64 machine. The installer was InstallShield and firing it up did nothing,
    but I did see setup.exe running in the task manager. During the reboot of my
    machine, while it was shutting down, the installer displayed the
    InstallShield splash screen momentarily like it was going to install, but the
    reboot terminated the process.

    I know of several ways to halt a reboot, one of which is previewing a report
    in a Visual FoxPro applicaton that I have. When I try rebooting while
    previewing, Windows cannot close the preview screen the reboot process stops.
    However, whatever was keeping the installer from executing is released. At
    this point, I can run the install and the application is loaded without any
    problems!

    I have used this technique many times. Other examples are using applications
    like Turbotax, which does not run in x64. However, after I do the trick
    above, I can run it.

    I hope this can be helpful to others.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Aug 1, 2005