    one. Now I have no pointer. Iv never come across this before could somebody
    please give me a push in the right direction to help me solve this dilema.

    Thanks.
    BARRY ANDERSON, Dec 21, 2006

  2. BARRY ANDERSON

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    "BARRY ANDERSON" <> wrote in message
    news:%23%...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Just wondering if any one could help. I have a machine with 98 on that I
    > use for playing around with. My mouse port has gone down, so I installed a
    > USB one. Now I have no pointer. Iv never come across this before could
    > somebody please give me a push in the right direction to help me solve
    > this dilema.
    >
    > Thanks.

    USB drivers for win 98
    Lnkwizard2, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Sorry everything is fine in Device Manager I have installed the USB drivers
    also for Windows 98. Still no pointer.

    BARRY ANDERSON, Dec 21, 2006
  4. I have always had trouble with USB and 98 being friendly to one another. You
    may try going to device manager and uninstalling the USB controllers and
    then restart your system to let Windows reinstall them again (make sure your
    98 cd is handy) If you have a CD with drivers on it for your device (i think
    it's mouse isnt it?) use it and of course look for any drivers having to do
    with 98 on it. Only after you do all that should you connect your USB device
    (oh make sure the device manager is showing all your device drivers as
    working properly) If it still doesnt work , you may consider buying a 2.0
    PCI card for your USB needs. They most of the time will install what they
    need into Win 98 for you. It'll save you trouble, they are 40 bucks max at
    Walmart, easy to install and 12 x faster than regular USB.

    Good luck

    Keith Chilton, Dec 21, 2006
  5. BARRY ANDERSON

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I have always had trouble with USB and 98 being friendly to one
    > another. You may try going to device manager and uninstalling the USB
    > controllers and then restart your system to let Windows reinstall them
    > again (make sure your 98 cd is handy)

    That's exactly what you need to do. 98 isn't friendly with USB because it
    wasn't developed to exactly incorporate USB products that were released
    after it. And for ghod sakes man, go upgrade to 2000, at least..but not
    ME. Stop living in the dark. And what Keith said is also right, you have
    to retard your computer every time 98 wants something...which makes it
    retarded...and the CD too.
    TurkReno, Dec 22, 2006