  1. Guest

    guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

    , Jul 18, 2007

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:45:32 GMT, wrote:

    >guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

    No, no one can help you until you explain what you need help WITH.

    Evan Platt, Jul 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    Basically I just had a few questions about usenet in general. i was just
    wondering
    are discussions pretty lively usually or are the majority of people just
    getting files from the binary section. or is it both? do most people do
    both? how does that work? how do i get the files? i am logging onto the
    alt.binary.dvd but I dont really know how to get the files. what can you
    tell me? any information you could give me would be very appreciated. thanks
    for the help

    , Jul 18, 2007
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help
    > me?

    Well, the good news is that you aren't a googlegrouper and you are using
    a newsreader and a newsserver.

    Your newsreader is NewsRover, which is pretty well equipped for
    binaries, but I think that its text newsing is a little weak. From
    reading at the NewsRover site, it sounds like it doesn't do attributes
    and cites like a normal newsreader. If that is the case, I think the
    NewsRover reader is supposed to paste from one pane into another to cite
    something.

    "News Rover will present you with a split screen where you can compose
    your reply in the upper window and read, cut and paste from the orginal
    message in the lower window."

    Your newsserver is giganews, which will be well equipped for binaries as
    well.

    Or, it is also possible that someone is just funning around with us in
    24hshd.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-18, <> wrote:
    > guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 18, 2007
  6. inc Guest

    Michael wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > guys i am new to usenet, just got it today, can someone please help me?

    If you're serious, go to this site, and it should help you get started.

    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

    inc, Jul 18, 2007
  7. Guest

    thanks for the help. is text newsing the most important or is almost
    everything binaries? do you thinke veryone does binaries or is only some
    people doing binaries? do you think most posts are binaries? how do i
    download the binaries i cant figure it out?
    also what is thed eal with googlegroups? is it better? do a lot of people
    use it? can you download movies and stuff with it? any help you coudl give
    me is very appreciated

    thanks

    , Jul 18, 2007
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:21:09 GMT, wrote:

    >thanks for the help. is text newsing the most important or is almost
    >everything binaries?

    It depends. Text is for discussions. Binaries are for sharing files.

    >do you thinke veryone does binaries or is only some
    >people doing binaries?

    Everyone = every single person. No, I don't think everyone is doing
    binaries.

    >do you think most posts are binaries?

    In a binary group? Yes. In a text group? No.

    >how do i download the binaries i cant figure it out?

    I'd suggest reading the manual or online help for your newsreader.

    >also what is thed eal with googlegroups?

    Google Groups is for people not smart enough to use a real news
    client.

    >is it better?

    No.

    >do a lot of people use it?

    I think so, but considering the stupidity and spam that originates
    from GG's, I drop Google Groups posts.

    Evan Platt, Jul 18, 2007
  9. Guest

    Thanks for the help man I appreciate it. But, do you think if file sharing
    ended usenet will end? like i dont want to pay 20 bucks a month and then
    have usenet get shut down because of copyright laws when all I want to do is
    talk to people, ya know

    , Jul 18, 2007
  10. wrote:

    > also what is thed eal with googlegroups? is it better? do a lot of people
    > use it?

    Read the page linked in my sig:

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 18, 2007
  11. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Basically I just had a few questions about usenet in general. i was just
    > wondering
    > are discussions pretty lively usually or are the majority of people just
    > getting files from the binary section. or is it both?

    Both. It depends on what your interests are.

    > do most people do
    > both? how does that work? how do i get the files? i am logging onto the
    > alt.binary.dvd but I dont really know how to get the files.

    That would depend on what client (program) you are using to access Usenet.
    (I could look that up, but I won't bother. It's the kind of information you
    should try to include in your post when you ask your questions.)

    Try this: http://tgos.org/newbie/ for a lot of helpful info.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 18, 2007
  12. Guest

    hey thanks for the help. i use news rover, sorry i didnt know that was
    necessary. i was also wondering what is the best newsgroup for movies. any
    help you coudl give me would be very appreciated

    , Jul 18, 2007
  13. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > Thanks for the help man I appreciate it. But, do you think
    > if file sharing ended usenet will end? like i dont want to
    > pay 20 bucks a month and then have usenet get shut down
    > because of copyright laws when all I want to do is talk to
    > people, ya know

    You should go to

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

    and read up on the Usenet and its history. A lot of your
    questions will be answered and links provided for more info.

    Since its origins lie with an "indestructible" design by the US
    military, it used to be common belief that the Usenet can never
    die as opposed to a web site or an email address. However,
    things going the way they are, I am not so sure anymore. IMO,
    Giganews, your provider, are assholes. I spent about 4 years
    with them until their utter arrogance and lack of customer
    service led me to say "goodbye Giganews" (which is archived by
    Google - and Giganews themselves, for another year or so
    anyway...). While they *were* the best 8 or 10 years ago, there
    are MANY excellent providers out there now, many much cheaper
    and I am pretty sure ALL with better customer service.

    But they do provide a pretty good general service. Whether 3
    years' of retention of text messages is useful or insane is
    another thing. But just try to get assistance from them. Also,
    they don't carry nearly all the groups, arbitrarily add/delete
    groups, and have recently started sending threatening letters to
    people posting copyrighted material (which is what 99.5% of
    everything on Usenet happens to be, except free... so far).

    Anyway, enjoy it while you can. And if you just want to
    communicate, you might want to look up what IRC is all about.

    Have fun.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Jul 18, 2007
  14. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > i use news rover,

    Your posts are demonstrating a problem with NewsRover.

    NewsRover is a decent newsagent for handling binaries, but it is not
    practical to use for newsgroup discussions.

    In a newsgroup discussion, when you reply, there should be a structure
    consisting of attribution line, trimmed citation which shows
    cite/'quote' marks, an empty line, and then your remarks under the empty
    line which is under just the words which you are replying to. If you
    are replying to more than one line or sentence, that may result in
    separate inline remarks each in context.

    NewsRover doesn't do that properly for you.

    Here's an illustration of how newsgroup reply posts are supposed to look
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html How should I use the
    quoted text and arrange it with my own text?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 18, 2007
  15. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > hey thanks for the help. i use news rover, sorry i didnt know that was
    > necessary. i was also wondering what is the best newsgroup for movies. any
    > help you coudl give me would be very appreciated

    Dunno about the movies. I've not bothered with that. And I could have looked
    in your headers and determined what newsreader software you had, but it's
    just good etiquette for you to provide that information with your original
    question. Especially since your question basically involved how to use the
    software to do what you want <grin>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 19, 2007
  16. Guest

    wait so do you not do binaries at all? do you think a lot of people dont do
    any binaries and just use it to talk? why would people do that? arent there
    btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

    , Jul 19, 2007
  17. <> wrote in message
    > wait so do you not do binaries at all? do you think a lot of people dont
    > do
    > any binaries and just use it to talk? why would people do that? arent
    > there
    > btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

    There's no cheaper way to talk about issues all over the world. It allows
    you to create your own soapbox without having to get a permit to speak
    (although you do have to put up with the idiots of the world talking back).
    People need communication. People need to vent. These are necessary things
    to keep people from blowing their tops. If you think these things are
    unnecessary, what are you doing with a hotmail account? Do you have a cell
    phone? An answering machine? Thirty years ago, these things were only on
    Star Trek and Get Smart. Technology has snowballed, but it has snowballed
    because we (human beings) want to talk.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jul 19, 2007
  18. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    You are still not providing attributions and citations for context for
    your replies.

    If you are going to use newsrover for interacting in text groups, you
    are going to have to reconstruct all of your replies by hand. I
    recommend that you use newsrover for binaries and some other newsreader
    for text discussions.

    If you are familiar with your mailuser agent Outlook Express, you would
    be better to use it for text newsgroup discussions than newsrover.

    > wait so do you not do binaries at all?

    Who are you talking to? And why do you think they don't do any
    binaries?

    > do you think a lot of people
    > dont do any binaries and just use it to talk?

    There are a lot of people discussing things on usenet.

    > why would people do
    > that? arent there btetter cheaper ways to discuss things?

    There are many ways to discuss things; personal email, mailing lists,
    newsgroups, webforums, chat and instant messaging, telephone, postal
    mail, video conferencing, human contact

    Usenet text groups have distinct advantages and disadvantages compared
    to other methods.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2007
  19. Guest

    Hey
    Mike,
    Can you tell me what some of the advantages are to newsgroup discussions
    over other discussion methods. Also, can you please tell me whether you
    think everyone on Usenet downloads binaries. THank you for the help

    Michael

    , Jul 19, 2007
  20. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hey
    > Mike,

    Hey, michael. How come you don't pay attention to the information which
    you've been given?

    o here's how your newsgroup conversation is supposed to look
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Q1: What is "quoting"
    in newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and
    arrange it with my own text?

    o your newsrover is no good for that purpose. You should use your OE
    instead, and newsrover for the binaries

    > Can you tell me what some of the advantages are to newsgroup
    > discussions over other discussion methods.

    o if you don't do it right, it has less advantages than there are if
    you do it properly

    o if you do it properly, your sent messages are stored in a Sent
    folder, which webforums don't do

    o if you do it properly, you are a part of a very large community
    having a conversation, but you aren't doing it properly in a
    conversational way.

    > Also, can you please tell
    > me whether you think everyone on Usenet downloads binaries.

    There is a huge 'body' of usenet binary activity. There is a separate
    huge body of usenet text activity. Some people do almost entirely one
    and not the other. What difference does it make what percentage of
    people who are texting are doing binaries? There are binary
    downloaders. There are binary uploaders. There are those who share
    binaries not by usenet newsgroups but other channels.

    > THank you
    > for the help

    You aren't showing any signs of learning some things about conversing on
    usenet yet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2007