    the system will work fine with out any service packs, or updates.
    it has never happen on my P4 systems

    some body help me

    =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Sounds like you might have a hardware issue. Have you checked your system
    event logs to see if the machine is blue screening? Have you downloaded
    and installed the latest BIOS and firmware for the devices on the system?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005

  3. "keeps restart on itself without any error"
    it could be your graphic card and graphic card drivers that causes the
    restarts.
    I had an "ELSA Synergy II /AGP X4 /32MB /DVI" card that just wouldn't
    befriend my XP system that kept on restarting.

    Do you have a "graphic card" onboard your motherboard and an AGP or PCI
    graphic card installed? then remove any AGP or PCI graphic card and
    re-install XP with only your onboard graphics. If that works, then try and
    install the drivers for your AGP / PCI graphic card first, and then install
    the graphic card physically. If your system keep on restarting now, then try
    a different graphic card. This worked for me, and I didn't mind going
    shopping for a new AGP 8X card.

    Or, if you don't have onboard graphics, simply try a different graphic card.

    Make sure you have X64 drivers for your graphic card.

    good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Sounds to me like you're dual-booting but you didn't install into different
    partitions.
    That would be very bad.

    Tony

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTdQ==?=, Jun 14, 2005
  5. thansk for reply to me guys,

    firstly, i thought it was an hardware problem too, and i went to the shop
    where i bought the PC, we change motherboard, RAM, HDD, graphic card, power
    supplier, and the same thing happens,
    also i did update the BIOS, and it did not fix anything

    and i found out as long as i don't install any SP1 or SP2 the system works
    fine.
    also i found it's not the hardware problem, and i really think it's the
    software problem.
    and there is nathing to do with the graphic card, i test with different
    graphic card too. i even try with Geforce4 MX 440 card, and other card like
    ATI 256MB 9800GT Extream

    also i'm not dule boot the system. i only have one OS install on it, which
    is on the 80GB HDD, it's dedcate for OS only, all the other important
    document i got on the 200GB HDD

    here is what i got in the system:
    2 x HDD - 80G, 200G
    AMD 3500+ 64bit CPU
    512 DDR RAM
    Ledtake 128MB A6600GT 8xAGP

    Creative Audigy2 SoundCard
    On Board Gigabit LAN
    Onboard SATA, IDE
    motherboard is ABIT AV8

    =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=, Jun 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=

    Randy Guest

    Maybe try a (CD boot) scan for virus etc.?
    Not sure which utilities will do this for 64-bit system... Bart's PE Builder
    works on my 64-bit (Intel Xeon) system, but I have only installed XP Pro x32
    on it so far.. scanning it with both McAfee's Stinger and Virus Scan, which
    I run fresh copies from a USB flash drive. Haven't scanned for spyware yet,
    but I doubt that type malware would be causing your current trouble.

    I partitioned/formatted my 80G SATA (Maxtor) system/boot drive as a 10G NTFS
    basic (non-raid) primary volume for the OS; just not sure if the x64 OSs use
    a different disk structure etc., as I haven't gotten 'round to them yet. My
    guess would be the same utilities that work for x32 will work for x64, at
    least at boot time. I just can't say for sure.

    Randy, Jun 15, 2005
  7. i'm pretty sure there is no virus on it, cause the 64bit cd is bought from
    MS, they send to me on mail, and the system is a freash installed so it could
    not be infeast with virus, and the system restart only after i install either
    SP1 or SP2, so i really think it's somthing wrong with the service packs, but
    it never happen with my P4 system, right now the P4 is running with SP2.

    even with the 32 bit XP, i can't install SP1 or SP2, it just restart, and
    with the 64 bit XP, it come with SP2, and i think that is the problem, there
    is somthing wrong with the service packs

    =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=, Jun 16, 2005
  8. spyril <> wrote:
    > i'm pretty sure there is no virus on it, cause the 64bit cd is bought
    > from MS, they send to me on mail, and the system is a freash
    > installed so it could not be infeast with virus, and the system
    > restart only after i install either SP1 or SP2, so i really think
    > it's somthing wrong with the service packs, but it never happen with
    > my P4 system, right now the P4 is running with SP2.
    >
    > even with the 32 bit XP, i can't install SP1 or SP2, it just restart,
    > and with the 64 bit XP, it come with SP2, and i think that is the
    > problem, there is somthing wrong with the service packs

    No, x64 doesn't come with SP2 because the base is win 2003 server SP1. So,
    it must be something else but not the SP2 nor the x86 SP1

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Did you leave x86 without the service packs alone long enough to see if that
    really works. You say only happens 1-2 times a week, so think you need to
    have x86 on at least 2 weeks without service packs to see if it really works
    that way.
    I had a problem with x86 when service pack 2 was installed and Microsoft
    finally decided to replace my CD with one that had SP2 already installed.
    After a complete reinstall it works perfectly. For me I would guess that it
    was a conflict with other installed (and uninstalled) software, so are you
    doing your service pack updates before you install your other software?
    Might be an idea to make sure nothing else is installed to conflict with it
    except what you need to get to Microsoft and do the update. I may be wrong,
    but SP2 includes all prior updates so there should be no need to install
    SP1. If I am wrong I am sure someone more knowledge will correct me so wait
    a while first.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  10. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > Did you leave x86 without the service packs alone long enough to see
    > if that really works. You say only happens 1-2 times a week, so
    > think you need to have x86 on at least 2 weeks without service packs
    > to see if it really works that way.
    > I had a problem with x86 when service pack 2 was installed and
    > Microsoft finally decided to replace my CD with one that had SP2
    > already installed. After a complete reinstall it works perfectly. For me I
    > would guess that it was a conflict with other installed (and
    > uninstalled) software, so are you doing your service pack updates
    > before you install your other software? Might be an idea to make sure
    > nothing else is installed to conflict with it except what you need to
    > get to Microsoft and do the update. I may be wrong, but SP2 includes
    > all prior updates so there should be no need to install SP1. If I am
    > wrong I am sure someone more knowledge will correct me so wait a
    > while first.

    When it comes to OS's, you're right, SP's for Office, for exemple, need to
    be installed one after the other one...

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=

    John Barnes Guest

    At this point I think you should install x86, then service pack 2, reboot
    and then the programs you need to make your system functional and let us
    know what happens.
    If you are still having the problem, it is most likely one of your installed
    programs, especially one that installs drivers.
    One question I have is what do you mean by middle of the system boot.
    During the splash screen?
    Have you looked at your system or application event logs?
    Since it stops at different times it seems that bootlogging won't help here.
    Next time it happens, let us know what errors you have in your system log
    file. Good luck.

    Thanks for the confirm, Christian.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm sure there is a better newsgroup to help him do his system debugging
    than here. Maybe you can recommend the best one, and he can repost here
    when he is ready to reinstall x64.

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005
  13. John Barnes <> wrote:
    > I'm sure there is a better newsgroup to help him do his system
    > debugging than here. Maybe you can recommend the best one, and he
    > can repost here when he is ready to reinstall x64.

    I would say news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    It is possible that the problem is a RAM problem, I don't see any reason for
    rebooting like that.
    A good idea will be to test the memory with mem86... It takes a while but
    then you're sure

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 16, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?c3B5cmls?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like a good idea. Don't know how long he used x86 without service
    packs but that was my only reason for ruling out hardware. Here is a link
    to Mem86

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    John Barnes, Jun 16, 2005